Author Topic: WW1 help understanding records please  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Discoveringmypast

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 help understanding records please
« on: Sunday 04 August 13 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone help please?

I’ve already found medal records for my paternal grandfather in WW1, Frederick James Hardwell RFA Gunner Reg no 11978 (and have received great help on this site in the past). 

His daughter, my aunt, can remember him saying he was discharged from the army as he was wounded.  Up until today I have been unable to find any records of this but have just found on Ancestry his name on the ‘Roll of Individuals entitled to the War Badge’ which shows wounded.  The file's too large to attached to this message, however the regimental number etc matches so it’s definitely him.  It shows his enlistment as 30 May 1911 discharged 1 Oct 1915 ‘sickness’ was written but then crossed out and ‘wounded’ added.  After his age are a few numbers 2 (a) (i) – does anyone know what they mean and could anything else be learnt from this record?

Also, my aunt recalls him saying he also served in the navy but doesn’t know any more information.  However, during the same search I also discovered him recorded on ‘UK Naval medal and Award Rolls 1793 – 1972’.  Again it's too large to attach but I would love to know if any further information can be discovered from this document.  Although I believe it records him as presumably a ‘stoker’, I don’t know what the ‘B, F and R’ mean written further across the line or the dates he served.  (The Albert E Hardwell recorded above him was his younger brother who was in the merchant navy all his life from a teenager.)

Thank you for looking at this and if anyone can look at the documents online I appreciate any help or information.

Kind regards
Sue

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 help understanding records please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 August 13 23:16 BST (UK) »
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D7011196

Sue his naval record is online and also Mercantile Marine medal card so looks like he re enlisted after discharge from army....if its samevlad 1892 date of birth Bristol?

2a1 is just saying he served overseas and was discharged honourably the naval medal index says British War Medal was forfeited due to him going awol R means Run in navy speak so he disappeared.?

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 August 13 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Ady

Thank you very much for the reply and information, my aunt will be so pleased.  Is there any way of finding out the dates he served in the navy and when he went AWOL?  As he was discharged wounded from the army October 1915 it would be after that date.  (He married my grandmother in 1916 so maybe that's when he went AWOL.)  Was it usual to be discharged wounded from one force then accepted by another?

Also, are you able to tell me what it says about his brother Albert E Hardwell, recorded above him on the document?

Rank or Rating = A B
Medals earned = St V B
How issued = Tiger - was that his ship?

Thank you so much for all your help.

Kind regards
Sue

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 August 13 14:23 BST (UK) »
AB - Able Seaman
St V B = 1914-15 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal
Tiger - the ship he was serving on when his medals were sent to him.

Martin

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 August 13 19:17 BST (UK) »
Sue
Download the record for 3.36 pounds should give you the info.
The other record is his mercantile Marine medal card

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Ady and Martin

Thank you both very much for interpreting the details on the documents.  It has given me more info to put in my family tree and pass on to my aunt.

Kind regards
Sue  :)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 August 13 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hello, thank you again for all the help received on my query.

I've now purchased the document from the National Archives but as I'm having a little difficulty understanding some of it I've attached it to see if someone could help.

I believe he went AWOL (at least once!) but wondered if anyone who has read this type of document before could give me a break down of it's contents especially in the remarks section and the word after 27th August 1918 in date and period of engagements box beginning with H?

Was his ship the 'Vivid' and does it show he was in the navy as a stoker from 27 Aug 1918 - 12 Feb 1919 when he was demobbed?

Thank you so much again for any help.
Sue

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 August 13 12:11 BST (UK) »
Vivid II was not a ship but the shore base at Devonport.

The word is "Run" - he had absconded. He was arrested in Bristol by the police and served  prison sentence until disharged
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 August 13 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks very much for the info.

The word beginning with H that I can't understand is at the top left hand side of the document, a little way beneath his name and just before the age box.

Many thanks
Sue