Author Topic: Macleods of Achunahanait and various spellings there after  (Read 28678 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Macleods of Achunahanait and various spellings there after
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 19 February 15 11:47 GMT (UK) »
The question of late marriage in the Highlands was due in no small measure to obtaining the land necessary to support a family. Land is a finite resource and fragmentation of a farm leads to starvation, the eldest son might have to wait until his father became unfit or deceased before getting the farm. Younger sons might have to resort to the navy, becoming soldiers, drovers or learning a trade and becoming a landless cotter.

Skoosh.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 19 February 15 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Craig:

1. The source of my data and that of IanB is Hew Morrison's 1911 Scottish Record Society  "Parish Register of Durness 1764-1814". It's long out of copyright and good quality copies can be accessed and downloaded online.

2. There are no written parish records of names between 1678 and 1764, apart from a very brief reference to the area in the 1696 Hearth Tax records, which are almost illegible and contain very little real data (next to no-one had a hearth as opposed to a fire in the centre of the home).

3. If the Rootsweb entry is correct, there should be some reference to Angus MacLeod bearing the patronymic MacDholi vicUisdean or similar, or to Murdoch MacLeod being "MacNish bhain mac Dholi", but there's no evidence for that. The only other way to check is by looking for a brother and seeing whether his patronymic helps. There is a George MacLeod born to Angus in Clashneach in 1766 who fits. There's an Angus MacLeod father of Mary who was born in 1770. He's in Balvoolich which is not far from Clashneach, but his patronymic is "MacUilleam MacHustian" (son of William son of Hugh), and there's no reference to his fair hair, so he's not a good match.

4. Having looked through the records, there is not a match for the Rootsweb names. If Murdoch, George and Mary were siblings, then their grandfather was called William (there is a son born to George, son of Angus, son of William in balvoolich in 1806), but I wouldn't bet my house on the evidence I've seen so far.

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 19 February 15 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Craig:   The information you copied appears to come from the “JandJ” site maintained by two sisters who have done a fantastic job assembling a huge data base. Much of it may have been imported from other sites but I think they assembled the “Durness” content themselves. I checked my own family on it, both Morrisons and Mackays, and in both cases they show three generations farther back than my research took me. I contacted one of the sisters and asked the source and was told “church records”. At that point I lost faith in it because, to the best off my knowledge, there are no church records of that kind in Durness that go farther back than the parish register, which commenced in 1764.

Prior to 1855 when registration of Births, Deaths, and Marriages became law, marriages and christenings ( and in some parishes births and deaths) were recorded by the minister in the Parish Register. The Durness Parish Register commenced in 1764, and I have a photocopy of an extract/transcript of it by a Dr. Hew Morrison for the years 1764 to 1814. ( I’m not sure why he stopped in 1814).This published transcript is available “on line”.

The Durness register is one of the most informative because the minister took the time to record most of his parishioners’ eke names. This was important  because this was how they were known in every-day life, and because of the need to distinguish between so many duplications of the same names, such as Donald Morrison for example. Eke names, or nick names, took several forms: physical descriptions (bain/fair; dubh/black; ruaidh [roy]/red, or beag; mor); location (Aberach); occupation (gobhainn); patyronymic (mac/mhic/ic ; son of or nin daughter of) The last –mentioned was the most common, and the most helpful for us because they often contained two generations.

To answer one of your questions, or perhaps two, I would have no confidence in information which predates the parish register, other than the patronymics, unless I was able to verify it, nor do I know of any other source that you could research. You could research some Mackays (those descended from the chiefly line) in the “Book of MacKay” and in the “History of the House and Clan of Mackay”, so you may find some of the MacLeods’ wives’ families there.

But you have gone back further than Murdoch. We know, from his patronymic,  that his father was Angus-the-fair MacLeod. Assuming Murdoch was approx. 30 when he married, he was probably born 1758 +/-, and Angus about 1728. But these dates are conjecture to give a rough idea.

Skimming through the transcript, which is in chronological order, I noticed four others that had the same patronymic as Murdoch (Macnish bain). They were:John (married Ann MacKenzie 1779); Donald Jr./little (married Ann Mackay/Dalrymple 1779); Donald Sr./Mor (married Barbara Campbell 1768); Angus (christened son Angus in 1776). They were almost certainly Murdoch’s brothers. There may also be sisters in the register but they are more difficult to spot, because the wives are either not listed (in early christenings) or they are at the end of the “registration”.

I have been going on long enough so I will stop, except to encourage you to make a lot of use of Google to find out general information about the Parish of Durness. It is a tremendous source.

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 19 February 15 21:09 GMT (UK) »
IanB: Reverend Thomson began keeping records late in 1764, soon after his appointment to Durness. His predecessor as parish Minister was Reverend Murdoch MacDonald (1696-1763). His diaries and records were transcribed longhand and are held in the National Library of Scotland. However, he kept no organised records of parish births and deaths, noting only the passing of his master Lord Reay, members of the Lord's family, and one or two trusted church servants taken in time of disease.

As a record of parish life around the 1745 rebellion (he was very strongly pro-government) it is useful if not easy to read save when parts were typewritten. As a record of population, and of the daily lives of the tenants, it is not worth reading.

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 21 February 15 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Craig:
When reviewing my notes before I destroyed them, I noticed a christening  entry I forgot to tell you about.: Mar 26, 1766. "Angus MacLeod, alias Bain, in Clasneach, George." i.e. George appears to be another brother of Murdoch.

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline CMcLeod07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 21 February 15 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,

Thanks again for the really useful information. I have taken a look through the parish register and can see all of the entries you refer to which is great. It is interesting you refer to Murdoch's brother, George, as djct59 referred to a son born to George, son of Angus, son of William in Balvoolich in 1806 which could mean that Angus' father was William? I don't think I'll be able to verify this or find out any more information but I think I can definitely make a case for justifying the link.

I'm pleased with where I've got to and appreciate everyone's help. I think this will be where my search ends but I'm happy with where I've got and take your advice and do some research into Durness more generally at this time as it is interesting to know more about the area at the time my ancestors were there.

Craig

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 21 February 15 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Craig: There's an Angus MacLeod, weaver from Clashneach, aged under 30, listed on the local Militia Roll in 1809, and George MacLeod appears on the list of people fit for kelp manufacturing and herring fishing in 1826.

I note that there's beginning to be a bit of duplication of research results here, but there are some good quality historical records of Durness locatable online.

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 21 February 15 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Craig:
I agree that the George, father in the 10th July, 1806 christening, could be the son of "your" Angus but it would be a bit more convincing if "bain" appeared in his patronymic. Because there were many common names, similar patronymics also occurred. For example, christening #23 of the same year: "John Macleod, alias Macnishmacuilliammachustian (son of Angus; son of William; son of Hugh)"
Note that this John had a different wife from your John (at least at that time) She was a Barbara Campbell, same name as the wife of your Donald Sr.

I am glad you are enjoying this hobby and wish you well on your journey.

Ian

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 21 February 15 20:59 GMT (UK) »
IanB: With the greatest of respect, I had already made the point about the absence of "Bain" as point 3 in my post on Thursday afternoon.

The John MacLeod you refer to as having a christening in September 1806 was a little tenant in Lerin, at least three miles from Keodale, Clashneach and Achunahanait. his wife was Barbara Campbell nin Rob MacAllister , one of the very few "local" women to be called Barbara, as that name was more common among the Grange Campbells who had migrated north in the late 17th century. The Barbara who married Donald in 1768 is likely to have been a "Grange", as may of them settled in Keodale and Sarsgrum.