Author Topic: look-up birth William Rogers c1828-1830 Sudbury please  (Read 4573 times)

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Charles Bocking Rogers & sons, Hendon1903
    • View Profile
look-up birth William Rogers c1828-1830 Sudbury please
« on: Monday 05 August 13 23:26 BST (UK) »
dear all,
I am trying to find the birth entry/date of my ancestor William Rogers c1828-30.

Census details give Sudbury, Suffolk as well as Ballingdon, Essex as his place of birth, although from a previous post on the Essex list he was most likely born in Sudbury.

On subtracting his age from census year give a birth search range from 1828-1830.
I have a baptism for him ; 26-3-1833, st Gregory, Sudbury, Suffolk from Family search, although I cant find it myself, still getting to grips with the new site.
His parents were ;
William Rogers born 1807 Sudbury, Suffolk and
Elizabeth Tiffen (neeBocking first marriage) (neeRogers second marriage) born 1800 Middleton, Essex. Married 30-7-1830 all Saints, Sudbury. 

Does anyone have access to all Saints, st Gregory, St Peters, or maybe the Bishops transcripts ?

I would be really thankful for any information anyone could help me with,
all the best
Pete Rogers  ::)
Sudbury Suffolk, Bocking/Braintree Essex, Hendon/Bethnal green Middx.

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: look-up birth William Rogers c1828-1830 Sudbury please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 06:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Pete

There are at least 2 entries for the same William Rogers on the familysearch.org website. They both state:

William Rogers, christ 26 Mar 1833 St Gregory, Sudbury.  Parents William & Elizabeth

K

ps.  You probably have this info already but just in case
William ROGERS of Sudbury St Gregory buried 24 Jul 1872 age 68 Sudbury Cemetery (Weaver of St Gregory Street)
Elizabeth Gregory widow of Sudbury St Gregory UH buried 24 Aug 1877 age 77.

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 08:41 BST (UK) »
hello Keziah

I actually didn't have the burials of William snr. and Elizabeth, thankyou for that  ;D, although I have no idea what I am doing wrong on family search  ???

Nice to see the name Keziah, which was a sort of Family name in my Rogers tree, I have been told that it is Hebrew for "likes Cinnamon"
all the best
Pete

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 August 13 13:22 BST (UK) »
hi all  ;D
it is curious that William Rogers is christened in 1833 St Gregory, Sudbury, 2-3 years later than using the census details and his death ( 1894 aged 64) to work out his birth year. Maybe William didn't know his actual age ?

Although ,,,,,, looking at the deaths of the children of Elizabeth and first hubby (James Bocking) Elizabeth and William Snr. they would have had a hard 3 years losing and burying them ;

Charles Bocking 1821, buried, all Saints, Sudbury, 19-7-1831 aged 9
Sarah Bocking 1823, buried, all Saints, Sudbury, 1-9-1830 aged 7
James Bocking 1825. buried, all Saints, Sudbury, 1-8-1832 aged 7

possibly delaying William Jnr's christening during this period of mourning and sadness  ??? and looking again,,, they switch from all Saints to st.Gregory's for some reason  ???

Just a thought, are any of the all Saints/st Gregory birth records damaged or missing for the period 1828-1830 ? which may be a reason for this vital piece of information is so illusive ?

all the best
Pete

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 August 13 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi not sure if you had the marriage -

William Rogers and Elizabeth Bocking (widow) married 30th July 1830 at Sudbury All Saints

(source: FindMyPast)

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 August 13 16:15 BST (UK) »
hi Annes.
I did have the marriage, but thanks anyway  ;D

Pete

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 August 13 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Pete

hi all  ;D
it is curious that William Rogers is christened in 1833 St Gregory, Sudbury, 2-3 years later than using the census details and his death ( 1894 aged 64) to work out his birth year. Maybe William didn't know his actual age ?

Given that he married Christiana LEE in the Mar Qtr of 1850 any of these might be the answer: he was 17 years old when he married, he was not christened at birth ( as you suggest) for whatever reason, there could be more than one William Rogers born c1830-33 in the Sudbury area.

Are you absolutely certain his parents were William & Elizabeth? Do you have a copy of William & Christiana's marriage certificate - it would confirm his fathers name, possibly his fathers occupation & how old William jnr declared himself to be at the time of his marriage.  Mar Qtr 1850 Sudbury Reg Dis Ref: 12/597

K

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 August 13 13:19 BST (UK) »
hi Keziah  ;D

marriage certificate states ;

17-3-1850, the registry office, in the Church of Sudbury
William Bocking Rogers age 21, Bachelor, silk weaver, Gregory street, Sudbury, father William Rogers, silkweaver,
Christiana Lee, age 21, spinster, silkweaver, North street, Sudbury, father John Lee, Carpenter

interestingly, their first born is Charles (Bocking) Rogers,
born 16-5-1850, baptised, 10-7-1850, st Gregory, Sudbury  :-X

hmmmmmmmm    Pete

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 August 13 13:36 BST (UK) »
I think you have the right chap Pete & must assume that he was honest about his age when he married.  The fact he is William Bocking Rogers on his marriage cert almost certainly links him to Elizabeth Rogers (nee Bocking).  Only other possibility is he was christened 1830 & there has been a transcript error - perhaps SKS can check the St Gregory PRs for you & confirm but then he would have been William BOCKING as William Rogers & Elizabeth did not marry until July 1830. 

Good luck
K