Author Topic: Joseph Hall married Ann Ayscough  (Read 2372 times)

Offline :sjl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Hall married Ann Ayscough
« on: Wednesday 07 August 13 04:02 BST (UK) »
Hi:

I am looking for someone who has access to the parish records for Holy Trinity, Kingston Upon Hull, Yorkshire, England.

I am interested in the marriage between

Joseph Hall

and

Ann/Anne Ayscough

on 11 Jan 1826

Batch Number M10748-1

System origin ENGLAND -ODM

GS Film Number: 0990831-2, 0919483

an image of the document would be great.

don't know IF this is feasible request or not.

the above info I found on familysearch.org

I am trying to identify her parents.

I believe they are George Ayscough and Elizabeth Okney/Ockney
but this is NOT written in stone

I believe this is my direct ancestor, she married Joseph Hall in 1826, had a child with him in 1827 the child died at 3 weeks, and then her husband died shortly thereafter.

She them married William Scott in North Kelsey in 1828

Up until a few days ago we were NOT aware that OUR Ann Ayscough had been possibly previously married.
I have the marriage certificate for her marriage to William Scott....and it states she is a widow.

so the NEED TO PROVE the Ann Ayscough who married Joseph Hall
                          is the same Ann that married William Scott as Ann Hall WIDOW

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

:sjl

Offline terrac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Hall married Ann Ayscough
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 08:32 BST (UK) »
Someone visiting the Beverley archives should be able to try to look this up for you.  I would try for you myself but due to work commitments I wont manage to make it to the archives for at least a couple of months.

Someone else may be able to help sooner..  Before I next go I'll check on the thread and see if you have managed to get the information you need.

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 09:08 BST (UK) »
I'll look this up for you when I'm next in, possibly tomorrow or Friday. But you won't get the parents from the marriage record.  The best you can hope is that Ann was a minor and needed her father's consent.  Or that a relative acts as a witness.

What info do you have on her parents?
All the best
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 09:43 BST (UK) »
possible parents of Ann/Anne Ayscough is

father: George Ayscough
born about 1744
possibly North Kelsey, Lincolnshire, England

mother: Elizabeth Okney/Ockney
born about 1773
England

this was HIS 2nd marriage

first marriage to Mary Leeson
born about 1752

Sorry will look for more info if this doesn't help.

thanks for the help.

Offline terrac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 09:58 BST (UK) »
I'll look this up for you when I'm next in, possibly tomorrow or Friday. But you won't get the parents from the marriage record.  The best you can hope is that Ann was a minor and needed her father's consent.  Or that a relative acts as a witness.

What info do you have on her parents?
All the best
Joyce

That's not quite entirely true.  A couple of weeks ago I found 4 marriages from various churches and they had all the information on them that a GRO certificate would have given you.  This is for free and with a little searching on the microfiche. (ok then 60p per photocopy).  I have them in front of me now.

I guess it depends on the church and marriage date.  It is certainly worth looking up to see what information is stored.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Hall married Ann Ayscough - parish records
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 10:02 BST (UK) »
well here's hoping that is the case for the info I need.

fingers crossed.

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 13:04 BST (UK) »
Terrac
What I meant is that by this time, the entries are on pre-printed forms.  I've recently looked up one marriage at Holy Trinity in 1815, hoping to identify the parties as my 4xgreat grandfather and his second wife, and there's nothing bar names, marital status, respective parishes, a note of banns or licence and witnesses.

On the other hand, I've found parish registers in the 1780s and '90s which have been pure gold, presumably under the influence of Rev. Dade. But, as you say, it's down to whoever's keeping the registers and one can only hope.  Just wish more of them had been family historians.
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 August 13 16:45 BST (UK) »
I looked up your Holy Trinity marriage today.  I'm afraid there is little to go on.  Joseph Hall, labourer, of this parish, married Ann Ayscough, spinster, also otp, by licence on 11 January 1826. Both signed their names. The witnesses were Griff: Hayes (a man called Griffith Hayes married at Holy Trinity in 1830) and someone whose name I cannot make out. I thought at first it was Ann, then Jane, but it could equally be John. The surname seems to end in "all" or "ull".  Sorry.

I then looked at the marriage licence indexes. Both are said to be of Hull, both 21.  You could always email the Borthwick and ask for a copy of the marriage allegation, but it probably won't tell you anything more. But you never know.

All the best
Joyce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 August 13 18:51 BST (UK) »
Joyce:

I totally appreciate your kind effort to look up the parish record.

I guess I can uncross my fingers now.

Maybe it is going to be one of those things that can NEVER be proved?

again many thanks