Author Topic: Date of Death for Elizabeth Leaper Born 16 Apr 1861  (Read 1675 times)

Offline buffa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Date of Death for Elizabeth Leaper Born 16 Apr 1861
« on: Thursday 08 August 13 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hoping someone can track down the date of death for my GG Grandmother.
I belong to Scottish People and haven't had any luck on there either.

Elizabeth Leaper was born 16 Apr 1861 in Troqueer, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland to Joseph & Jane Bell Leaper.

Elizabeth had two childern out of wedlock no Fathers listed for either child;

Joseph Jardine Leaper born 12 Aug 1880, Torthorwald, Dumfries, Scotland &

Elizabeth Crosby Wills Leaper born 12 Apr 1889 in Torthorwald, Dumfries, Scotland

According to Joseph Jardine Leaper's WW1 Canadian War Records his Mother was dead when he enlisted in 1916 and she was still alive for the 1891 Census where she was living Torthorwald, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

Thanks in Advance for any help.

Buffa
Lowe, Owen, Smith, Brown, Revell, Collinson, Stringfellow (Nottingham Area)

Leaper, Fearn, McGill, Davidson, Doig, Jolly, Galbraith (Scotland)

Hillstrand, Pearson, Person, Bregtson (Sweden & USA)

Cheers, Buffa

Redwater, Alberta Canada

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Date of Death for Elizabeth Leaper Born 16 Apr 1861
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 August 13 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Buffa,
Just a couple of suggestions which perhaps you've already considered...
Could Elizabeth have married after 1891?
Have you tried variant spellings of Leaper (which is not common)? Leiper/Lepper/Leper.
Joseph was mistaken when he stated she was dead in 1916 ( my gg-uncle aged 28 gave wrong next of kin details when he enlisted in Australian Army WW1....we don't know why!). ???

I've had a quick check on Scotland's People and I had no joy either. I couldn't find the family on 1901 Census but perhaps Joseph had left for Canada by then.

Looby

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 August 13 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Find my past(paysite) has a Joseph Leiper born c1881 , left Glasgow in 1898 going to Quebec Canada.
The record may name his next of kin.

There is also a Lizzie Leiper born c1890 , Glasgow to Quebec 1911 that might be worth a look.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline buffa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 August 13 18:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Looby....I had thought maybe Elizabeth had married but have never been able to find any record of that either.

I have tried several variants of Leaper in the past on 'Scottish People' and other sites with no joy either.

Joseph left for Canada in 1898 for Quebec where he married Julia McGill and had 2 girls..later moving to Calgary, Alberta and finally settling in Vancouver, BC til his death in 1926. Wouldn't understand why he would have stated his Mother Elizabeth was dead when he enlisted in 1916.

ev...might have to relook that Lizzie you found...but at some point I had found a record of her passing in 1968 in Dumfries, Scotland.

Looks like my GG Grandmother Elizabeth continues to be somewhat of a Mystery.

Buffa

Cheers, Buffa

Redwater, Alberta Canada

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 August 13 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Buffa,

There is a death on Scotlands People which could be for daughter Elizabeth.
Elizabeth Leaper year of death 1968 - Dumfries Dumfriesshire  year of birth 1890.
She could be married and have a married name - the search engine will throw up maiden names in the surname box as well as married names.
This death could perhaps give you her parents names (including a married name for her mother IF she ever married  :-\). Only drawback is that you would not be able to view this cert. online as 50 years need to pass before death certs are available to view. You would need to order a copy of the cert which would cost more.

When I suggested Joseph had been mistaken when stating mother Elizabeth was dead in 1916 - I meant that perhaps he did believe she was dead (perhaps had lost contact with her many years ago). A long shot to consider - but stranger things have happened. She wouldn't be the first deceased parent on a marriage/death cert etc to have been discovered still alive on the next Census return. ;D

Both Elizabeths could as Ev has suggested moved abroad. Or even just south of the border. Living in Dumfries it would not take a lot of effort to travel over to England.

Good luck with your hunt,
Looby

Offline buffa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 August 13 20:11 BST (UK) »
Yes Looby...you have the correct Elizabeth Leaper who died in 1968, guess she had married a guy named Henderson but haven't found his first name...there is 'No Image' on Scottish People for her death.

Cheers, Buffa

Cheers, Buffa

Redwater, Alberta Canada

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 August 13 20:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, the image won't be available till 2018, 50 years after date of death.
Either a certificate can be purchased from Scotland's People and posted to you or the info can be viewed at one of Scotlands People's centres at Edinburgh/Glasgow/Kilmarnock.
If you were interested, you can request a look-up from one of the Rootschatters who may be attending one of the  centres soon and they could transcribe the cert for you and post the info on this thread.

Looby