Author Topic: Grave of Thomas Collier Marshall, St. Paul, Walkden  (Read 3093 times)

Offline fortyeighter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grave of Thomas Collier Marshall, St. Paul, Walkden
« on: Friday 09 August 13 18:37 BST (UK) »
After reading in the Rules, "Do not ask someone to go take a picture unless you're sure there is a gravestone there," does anyone HAPPEN TO KNOW whether there are standing headstones (in the 1925 era) at St. Paul's (off Manchester Road) in Walkden, Lancashire? I tried calling the Vicarage today to inquire, but got no answer.

Just in case anyone reading this happens to KNOW, the grave I am hoping to find is that of Thomas Collier Marshall, my husband's grandfather. Born in 1900, he died in Sheffield Royal Infirmary in September 1925 (of TB), and his body was taken home to Walkden for burial on 25 September 1925. We would love to hear from anyone who is also searching for Thomas Collier Marshall and his family, and particularly anyone who would like to take a picture of his grave for us. We are in the USA, otherwise we would go ourselves!   

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grave of Thomas Collier Marshall, St. Paul, Walkden
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 August 13 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
From www.lan-opc.org.uk
Originally St George's, St Paul's Church was finished in 1863. It has a renowned set of bells. On a clear day, views of the Lake District and Isle of Man are said to be visible from the top of the tower. There is a large area of graves around and behind the Church but many stones have been relaid to form paths. Some of these are completely overgrown.

Heather

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 August 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
hi
If you go to www.lan-opc.org.uk
Click parishes
salford
walkden
Click st paul
Click MIs
There are instructions there for getting pictures and the inscriptions if they are available.

Heather

Offline fortyeighter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 August 13 17:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heather,

Went there, did that, but Grandfather's name was not to be found on the Index under Marshall. Even tried 'Collier'. Even though his burial is clearly listed on the Lancashire OnLine Site:

Burial: 25 Sep 1925 St Paul, Walkden, Lancashire, England
Thomas Collier Marshall -
    Abode: The Royal Infirmary Sheffield
    Buried by: A. H. Duncan
    Register: Burials 1915 - 1927, Page 177, Entry 1412
    Source: Microfilm held at Manchester Central Library

I guess this might mean that his grave headstone has been removed to be among the unfortunate 'walked-upon' ones on a pathway somewhere in the churchyard? Either that, or the person(s) compiling the list missed him! After all, 1925 isn't that long ago, is it? Anyway, I e-mailed Helen Mayoh to inquire, so I hope to hear from her soon.

Thanks again for your help.
J&T

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 August 13 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In recent months I visited this Church/Graveyard.  There are lots of stones!
I contacted the Church, and left a message, but it was 4 months before I got a reply back.
A very nice lady called me and we arranged to meet so she could show me exactly where my stone was, or I would have spent a few hours or more looking for it. 

None of the gravestones are numbered, but the Church Graveyard does seem to be split into two sections.  The very old stones seem to be around the Church and the more newer  (1900+) down the hill.

It is more than likely possible that if you have the details from the burials register and you are finding no MI's there is No stone.  From what I have seen there are No Gravestones used for a path way.

It is kind of understood that if a Church helps you regarding things like this that you make a donation,  I was more than pleased to do so, as the Lady who helped me did so in her own time and was only a member of the Church.

But if you get a reply and there is one, drop me a line and I go and get a pic for you, as we will be visiting next month and December too!

Cancan :)
The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com

Offline fortyeighter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 August 13 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Cancan,
  Thanks for your kind offer to check this out for us. As yet, though, we haven't heard anything back from Helen Mayoh. We don't know whether she is just has general information for the whole of Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks' Project, or she is specifically for St. Paul's, Walkden. Anyway, we'll see what happens. Maybe we'll hear something after the weekend.

We will post something on here if and when we hear from her.

Thanks again,
Jan & Tom

Offline NATHANSGRANDAD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 August 13 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan and tom, i live a short distance from st Paul,s church walkden, the church itself is a lovely stone building but the graveyard area is overgrown some headstones are flat and completely covered with grass and weeds i did come across two graves with the name Marshall. first one had thomas, Caroline, john, Emily, who died between 1890/1947. the second had George Harold Marshall. and his wife Lillian, their deaths are 1919 and 1922. the vicars name on the front of the church is Dr S C EDWARDS phone number 0161  790  2483. I have photos of the church and headstones if you want them. any further help needed just ask , DENNIS. :)

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 August 13 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a new Vicar at the Church his name is Ross Gardener he took over last year and the telephone number has changed.  I won't put it on view here, just incase, but if needed just PM.

Wigan Family History Group hold the MI's for the Church, but as said if they don't have them of the name there probably isn't a stone.

Cancan :)
The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com