Author Topic: Hore / Hoar / Hoare - YDNA testing, anyone?  (Read 3809 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Hore / Hoar / Hoare - YDNA testing, anyone?
« on: Saturday 10 August 13 18:35 BST (UK) »
I've spent the last few years trying to figure out who the heck my real ancestors on one of my parents' sides are. I'm stuck at my great-grandfather born c1850!

It's a twisty tale, since my great-grandfather used and passed on a fake name, for starters -- no one ever having had any clue about that until I worked it out after months of slogging around in databases on line.

His real surname was Hill. At least that was the surname his birth was registered, and he was baptised, under.

I've identified his named father (born c1820) and the father's father, but that's about as far as I can go. So the father's father was born somewhere in Devon or Cornwall, sometime around 1795 or earlier, and died before 1835. Good luck to me. And it may well be a totally false trail, in one of several possible ways now.

I bit the bullet last year and had the YDNA testing done.

With a name like Hill, and hundreds of Hills in the project at FTDNA, there would have to be a match! If he was a Hill. Most testees these days are in the US and are looking for their English roots -- the Cornish were the great emigrators, so looking outside England for a match made good sense. My gr-grfather's father had been involved in mining in the Linkinhorne area (as a share dealer and speculator mainly, from what I can tell), and we know that a mine is a hole anywhere in the world with a Cornishman at the bottom of it. And if there was no match with a Hill, well, maybe there was something to that the paternity tale ...! Problem is that the fake name is very rare, so not much chance of finding a match there. Best I could hope for was to rule Hill in or out.

My theory was right and my wish was granted. I got a strong YDNA37 match with someone whose ancestor, also involved in the copper mining industry in Cornwall, had emigrated to a copper mining area of the US in the 1840s. Excellent.

Except that his surname was not Hill. Or the fake one. It was Hoar.

As best I can tell, my gr-grfather's paternal grandmother was a Hoare.

This doesn't work: maternal ancestors' surnames don't count for male-line DNA matching.

But my gr-grfather's father was very attached to the name Hoare: he and his brother both had it as middle names on their baptisms (I had assumed because it was his mother's surname), and he used it in all records, all his life. His eldest son (my gr-grfather's brother) also used it as a third given name, and gave it to his son as a third given name, around 1880. (That child died in infancy and that was the end of that branch of the tree.) It very much has the look of a double-barreled surname: Hoare Hill. Perhaps the grandmother's surname was a coincidence, and it was the Hill grandfather whose unrecorded father was a Hoare.

Or perhaps my gr-grfather's mother -- his parents do not seem to have ever married, despite numerous births and random baptisms -- just named the 1820 Mr Hill as father of all her children and he wasn't. There are good reasons to think this too. The father could have been a Hoare.

Or the common ancestor was just before the era of surnames; my branch became Hill, the other became Hore/Hoar.

The match with the Hoar is very strong.
35 markers out of 37 -- one digit out, on each of two markers.
74% chance of a common ancestor at 12 generations, 99% at 24.

The other testee's paper trail goes back to a Hore in 1552. My Hill trail ends in 1820.

My 1820 birth is only 3 generations back from my testee -- my testee's great-grandfather.
The other testee's great-grandfather was born in 1788.
So 12 generations likely puts us before records. Even if I had any.

There are numerous on-line trees going back to the 1552 birth (and 2 generations farther back to a 1508 baptism which is probably about the 12th generation back). I can direct any interested Hore/Hoar/Hoares to those trees to see whether they connect up. And having now looked for them, I will approach those tree owners as well.

Oh -- not a single match for my testee in the Hill surname project. Or anywhere else.

I just want to know my ancestral surname! ... I whine. And then, of course, who my ancestors were ...

I also don't know whether Cornwall or Devon. My gr-grfather's supposed Hill grandfather resided in Devon at the time of his marriage in Cornwall, and after that marriage the family shifted back and forth across the Tamar at least once a decade. But the Hoar match is in St Austell back to the beginnings.

So:

Is anyone a Hore / Hoar / Hoare from Cornwall (or Devon) -- or does anyone know one -- who might like to collaborate on some YDNA testing?
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline SurplusGadgets

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hore / Hoar / Hoare - YDNA testing, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 August 13 13:59 BST (UK) »
Janey,

Your message could not have come at a more appropriate time.  Just this week, a DNA match with someone with a very similar story to yours has been made.  I suspect your will match us both as well.

Where are your test results posted?  Partly because some Y-DNA tests are different and partly to see if we can already compare.  http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Hoar is likely the main site to link into if you can.  Linda Anne and I are there.   Gordon is there but not part of that group yet.

Linda Anne's story is of two relatives who came from Devon to America around the time you mention.  They went to Wisconsin -- a (copper) mining area as well.  Her story is that most changed the name to Howard.  Her Y-DNA-25 test is a near exact match to my Y-DNA-67 one.  My Y-67 matches almost identically to Gordon who traces his line to a Hezekiah Hoar who came from Devon to Taunton, MA in 1634.  Gordon and I are descended from two different sons there.  Sandra Hoard is likely much closer in relation to me than Gordon and has dated information on her research published at http://sjhoard.tripod.com/hoardfamilygenealogysite/index.html.

Roz Edson has many of the America Hoar lines documented in her huge mixing bowl of names.  She is how I have been finding my key leads by pointing me to possible connections.  See http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=hoar_and_horr

Send a private message if you wish to connect up by email.  I still have the original surname and early-gray characteristics that it seems is the origin of the surname from the middle ages.

Randy

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 August 13 16:53 BST (UK) »
Oh, well, most opportune time indeed! One bungs these things up and doesn't actually expect anything to come of them. ;)

What we seem to be seeing in the project list so far are two matching pairs (with the outlier at the top of the list) -- you're in one, I'm in the other.

I am having to run out right away after seeing your message but I will get back to you later on the weekend. Thanks and we'll be in touch!

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline SurplusGadgets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 August 13 19:29 BST (UK) »
If talking about our project at familytreedna, then the other cluster is apparently related to a Charles Hoare who came to Massachusetts in the USA, as did Hezekiah. Some believed the two lines are the same but this DNA testing is definitively showing that not to be the case. Both were from the Cornwall area.

Offline SurplusGadgets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 August 13 19:32 BST (UK) »
And if not clear before, all I talk sbout that got tested are in USA (and actually California of recent). But really just excuse for my third post so you can message me :)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 August 13 01:58 BST (UK) »
SurplusGadgets and I are now in touch! and once we both get settled down from family medical crises, we will get back on the trail of our apparently mutual Hoars. ;)

At FamilySearch I found the 1851 census record of John Thos Hoar born c1822 in Tamerton - same era and place as my supposed Hill ancestor:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/SGJW-G77

Can anyone tell me what the household composition for him is?

Many thanks!

Offline royd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 21:38 BST (UK) »
Thought I recognised the names......... ;)

Did anyone find this for you?

HOAR, John Thos  29 Lab. (born Tamerton)

HOAR, Jane  - wife 28 (born Milton)

HOAR, Elizabeth     - dau 6 (born Devonport)   

HOAR, Mary Jane  - dau 4   "         "   

HOAR, Jas             - Son 2   "     "

HOAR, John          - Son 1   "         "

HOAR, William      - Son  2 mths.    "   

R.
Wests of West Wycombe.
Druces of High Wycombe
Cork(e)s of Kent
Goodwins of Kent
Taylors of Liverpool and Dysart
Truemans of Liverpool
Lavells of Ireland and Liverpool
McGowans of Scotland and Liverpool

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 22:09 BST (UK) »
Heh, I still had that tab at FS open to get back to ... thanks!

Do you have the RG thingy reference so I can try that at Ancestry? I'd like to see the census image if I can.

I also can't find a marriage to fit.

There is also a Richard Hoar in 1861, innkeeper, shown as born c1825 in Tamerton. In 1891 his place of birth is given as Maristowe. Richard Hoar in East Stonehouse in 1841 aged 15 was son of Rebecca.

Where do you recognize the names from? Have I had a memory lapse and I should know? ;)

Thanks!

edit, stop presses, I found them with the info you provided royd, by searching for Mary Jane in Stoke Damerel born 1847. Ancestry has him as Johnathan Moore ... born in Lamerton, and now I am having to fight with Ancestry to see the image ...

I read it as Johnathan Hoare, but whether Lamerton or Tamerton ... ? Maristow is more Tamerton than Lamerton.

Oh duh, talk about memory lapses, that was a big one. You "royd" you! I have my head so full of medical appointments and test results ... you will forgive me. ;)

Offline royd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 September 13 16:36 BST (UK) »
I wondered if you would remember!  ::)

Your 'Gang' from elsewhere have not forgotten you - how about an update on the appointments, tests etc. etc.?   Subtle hint.   ;)

R.

Wests of West Wycombe.
Druces of High Wycombe
Cork(e)s of Kent
Goodwins of Kent
Taylors of Liverpool and Dysart
Truemans of Liverpool
Lavells of Ireland and Liverpool
McGowans of Scotland and Liverpool