Author Topic: John Lane and Mary Farrell married 28-9-1854 Adelaide  (Read 3446 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Lane and Mary Farrell married 28-9-1854 Adelaide
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 August 13 10:40 BST (UK) »
There are many missing registrations from the SA bdm for all sorts of reasons but if a birth wasn't registered within a prescribed period there was a fine.  Many parents adjusted birth dates to avoid paying the fines or simply did not register their children's births.

John LANE had father James LANE in his 2nd marriage.

The Chronicle 6 May 1937.

Mrs. Catherine Strawns, who died at the age of 82, was a pioneer of Rosewater. Her parents landed from the Taymouth Castle, 1854. She was born at Regent street, Adelaide, in 1855, and moved to Rosewater when she was two. She lived there until her death. She was a widow of Mr. Edward Strawns, who died 12 years ago. She has left two sons — Messrs. John and Edward Strawns.

It was Mary FARRELL who emigrated on the TAYMOUTH CASTLE[/i]. I gave you the information previously

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/taymouthcastle1854.shtml
FARRELL   Mary   23   Servant       England

John's occupation mariner may indicate he arrived as ship's crew.

Cando

Another mistranscribed surname!

STRONG John
2 Dec 1876
Father Edward STRONG  Mother Catherine LANE
At Rosewater  PtA 176/58

Can't find a birth reg for Edward though.

The Advertiser 5 Apr 1906
STRAWNS-COLEMAN-On the 5th April, 1905, at the residence of the bride's mother. 27, Bent street, John, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. E. Strawns, Elizabeth-street, Rosewater, to Alice May, youngest daughter of Mrs. J. Coleman, of Adelaide. 

The Advertiser Fri 11 Apr 1930
STRAWNS — In loving memory of our dear husband and father, who passed away on 11th April. 1925. Loved and remembered the same to-day As in the hour you passed away. — Inserted by his loving wife and sons, Jack and Teddy.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 11 August 13 11:05 BST (UK) »
LANE Annie Wallace
2 Mar 1916  48 years Status Married  Relative Francis Edward LANE [Husband]
Residence Evandale  Death Place Adelaide   Ade H 399/489

There are a number of notices for an Annie Wallace LANE who died in 1918.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0vnv/

The notices mention names E BURKE, K STRAWNS and J LANE mentioned.  I would suggest that the relationships have not been described accurately however the notices are helpful.

Elizabeth's marriage.

BURKE Michael 63 years  Status Widower  Father Denis BURKE
LANE Elizabeth 54 years  Status Single  Father John LANE
4 Dec 1915
At St Ignatius Church Norwood  Nor 265/774

I certainly suggests to me there were many more births to John LANE and Mary FARRELL than were registered.

Plenty of leads for you to follow.

Cando

Offline Bob_SA_Oz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 August 13 23:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Cando, all this extra information will keep me busy.  The really good thing is that I now have a solid lead about Mary Farrell's origins, which is what I was hoping for when I posted this topic.

Bob

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 August 13 02:28 BST (UK) »
I did find a Mary A FARRELL,  20 years,house servant, born Kensington Middlesex on the 1851 census, however there are lots of Mary FARRELLS born c1831 England ::).

Perhaps a trip to the SLSA or SARecords to look at the Assisted Immigrants records may give you some more info.

Bob you may like this if you are a Port Adelaide fan  :) 

The Advertiser 6 Aug 1954
Death Of Mr. Jack Quinn
Mr. Jack Quinn, father of two of the State's most brilliant rovers. Bob and Tom died vesterdav afternoon Mr. Quinn played with Port Adelaide from 1899 to 1909. during which time he played for the State and led the Port team in 1904 and 1905.  With the late. 'Welshy' Davies and Teddy Strawns he formed one of the most brilliant ruck combinations ever fielded by Port.  He was a life member of the Port club.

There are literally pages of mentions for E STRAWNS on TROVE.

You may like to visit Cheltenham Cemetery as there is a headstone for Edward STRAWNS and his wife Elizabeth Ann.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~deadsearch/cheltenham_sz.htm
STRAWNS, EDWARD (DIED 1958), ELIZABETH ANN (DIED 1963 AGE 79)

Looking at your online tree you may like this reference

Births Mar 1872   
PAYNE Jane Louise Islington 1b/343

Cheers
Cando

Offline Bob_SA_Oz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 August 13 10:58 BST (UK) »
Cando, you continue to surprise me!

I am a Port Adelaide Football Club fan - born and raised in the area.  My great grandfather, Harry Lane (William Henry) was closely involved with PAFC (see Trove for The Advertiser Monday 8 October 1934, page 21, The Advertiser Tuesday 8 March 1927, page 15).

I am delighted to find more links to PAFC through Ted Strawns, and will definitely visit Cheltenham Cemetery to view the grave of Edward STRAWNS and his wife Elizabeth Ann.  I have spent a lot of time in this cemetery.  William Henry Lane (my great grandfather) and great grand mother Jane Louise Payne are buried together in this cemetery, along with many other relatives.

Bob