Author Topic: Birth indexes and seacrhing  (Read 7311 times)

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Re: Birth indexes and seacrhing
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 August 13 06:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,

I have been thinking over this puzzle.  I highly doubt that any father would leave behind a young child between 8 and 13 years old to return to England to marry for a second time.  I suspect that John Barwise took Leslie back with him.  I can find no passenger arrival records for John and Leslie arriving back into England and wonder if perhaps they took a ship steerage or sailed into a European port first before proceeding to England, i.e. the ship was heading to Europe and they had to make a connecting trip to England.  There are no passenger lists online for ships arriving in England from European and Mediterranean ports.

On the second front, have you checked census, marriage and birth records in Scotland for any information concerning Leslie's family?  I have what may be Leslie's children born in Westmoreland district between 1947 and 1960 which you can also easily reproduce on
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl with father's surname Barwise and mother's surname Vaughan and information that they may have been another child named Margaret born circa 1939 that died in Kendal in 1999. 

I also have found an indication that Leslie may have been known as Joseph Leslie Barwise and may have died during 1981 in Kendal, Westmoreland.  Have you requested a search for a Will from the Principal Probate Registry either in Westmoreland or via mail from the York office?

Just some thoughts that may help.

Sincerely,
Susan

CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 August 13 15:59 BST (UK) »
Susan,

I like you have found all that information prior to posting on here but thank you.  I alos found Joseph leslie but my own suspicions wont let me at present tie that into the tree.  Just so you know the searches for probate havent been at York for over 12 months now.  They are now in Leeds and I go there at least twice a month so that will be my next port of call.  Like you I also checked all incoming passenger lists and I also believe that he came back with his dad.  The reason I questioned that is the fact one persons online tree suggested leslie had 12 children and yes that tree suggested a marriage to a Vaughan female but again I cannot find a suitable marriage and another reason not to add Joseph Leslie to the tree at present.

Jacquie thank you so much for that census info and that fits with all I know

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline lizziejim

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi - I came across your post quite by accident.  My dad was Joseph Leslie Barwise, married to Marian Vaughan. I am the youngest of 7 children, with 4 stepbrothers/stepsisters one of whom was Margaret. Dad died in July 1982, mum died recently in April this year. I don't know a lot of my family history and am intrigued by your post.

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 August 13 15:20 BST (UK) »
Lizzie,

I dont think you are confused any more having spoken to you on the phone. 

To everyone else ty for your help in confirming what I knew and answering the question I specifically asked. 

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline pip1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 October 13 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hello

I've been looking through these posts and I believe this is the Barwise family I'm researching.

I wonder if any of you know of an Elizabeth Higham Barwise (born 1882 + died 1962).

She was the daughter of Thomas Higham Barwise + Isabella Braithwaite.

She married James Butterworth.

Had a daughter Marion Butterworth (born 1912) who married Herbert J Thomas.

They had a daughter born in 1944. (I know her name but I'm, understandably, not allowed to mention it here in case she is living.)

I am particularly interested if anyone might know anything about her or have any photos of Elizabeth, James or Marion etc.

Many thanks!

PiP

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 October 13 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Pip,

Presumably the daughter born 1944 is a living person, to protect people and their identities Rootschat do not encourage the posting of information about people who are or maybe still living so you will have to remove her name.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline pip1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 October 13 20:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry Sandra. Newbie mistake. Have edited her name out.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 October 13 20:57 BST (UK) »
No probs Pip, just letting you know the rules of the site before a moderator edited your post.  Hate to see them splattered in blue.  ;)

Good luck with your search
Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline pip1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 October 13 20:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra. Appreciated  :)