Author Topic: John Wotton Pengelly=Ellen Wheal, Married where in Worcester?  (Read 638 times)

Offline ppen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Wotton Pengelly=Ellen Wheal, Married where in Worcester?
« on: Monday 12 August 13 08:36 BST (UK) »
Looking for help from somebody who could look-up where the Reverend John Wotton Pengelly (71) married his  Domestic servant of over 10 years, Ellen Wheal (40)

He had resigned from St Michael and all Angels in Blackburn Lancashire 1883,and taken up the position at Alvington Gloucestershire 1884,they then get married according to the BMD in AMJ 1884 in Worcester,they are nonresident so it would have been by licence.

I have tried on line at "The Hive",and have come up with Volume 3.Page 176?.could somebody have a look for me please,I have no idea what a licence shows if anything and wether they are there or at the church? .At least I would like to know what church he was married in so I could visit sometime.

Thanks
Paul

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Wotton Pengelly=Ellen Wheal, Married where in Worcester?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

Here is the information you requested:-

John Wotton Pengelly of St Micheal in Bedwardine parish, Worcester applied for a marriage licence to marry Elllen Weal of St Catherine’s parish, Gloucester on 1 April 1884.

Their marriage took place on 3 April 1884 at St Micheal in Bedwardine, Worcester (church now demolished)

John Wotton Pengelly was of full age, a widower. He was a Clerk in Holy Orders residing at the time of his marriage in St Michael in Bedwardine. His father was John Pengelly a builder.
Ellen Weal was of full age, a spinster. She didn't have an occupation and was residing at the time of her marriage in Gloucester. Her father was James Weal a farmer.
The Rector of St Michael in Bedwardine,  R(ichard) Thursfield MA,  performed the marriage ceremony.
The witnesses were - Emily and Florence C(atherine) Thursfield (Two of Richard’s daughters)

Jack

Offline ppen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Wotton Pengelly=Ellen Wheal, Married where in Worcester?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 August 13 18:39 BST (UK) »
Jack

Thankyou so much for that information that is brilliant.I have just had a quick look on Google for details on the church and as you say it was demolished (in 1965) and looks to have been built over by the Cathedral shopping center .

Thanks again
Paul