Author Topic: RIDLEY Family Bethnal Green - 19thC travelling showman  (Read 1428 times)

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
RIDLEY Family Bethnal Green - 19thC travelling showman
« on: Monday 12 August 13 10:43 BST (UK) »
I would be interested in hearing from anyone with connections.  See this post for more information:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=657254.0
BRISTOL/GLS/LON:
DENNING -  RIDDLE-DENNING. & Glam TANNER-DENNING, MORGAN, THOMAS, RICE-ADAMS, RITCHINGS, PINGSTONE
DEV:18thC  RICE, Mary, ADAMS, CLARKE,STENTAFORD. MICHLEMORE.
HANTS: RICE-ADAMS, RICE-DEVEREUX-ADAMS (S'hampton), PIPER.  (Hants)
All GLS/Glam/Brks: TOVEY,  WESLEY/WASLEY, GLS/GLAM.  MARSHALL, PEARSON, GREEN, JAYNES  COOMBES, TOMBS.
LANCS: DUNN, Manc. BROWN Dorset
CHS: BROMILEY
SOM:  BALCH.
WLS:  MORRIS, MGY/DEN, WMS, GRIFFITHS,
WTS/Lon: SKUSE
BRKS/Lon: CHURCH. WAKEFIELD

Offline Grace Matthews

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RIDLEY Family Bethnal Green - 19thC travelling showman
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 April 14 20:40 BST (UK) »
Searching for my great grandmothers name. Her husband was James Matthews.  her son, also James Matthews, married Charlotte Ridley (daughter of John and Selina Ridley)  Any help would be appreciated

Offline Pinklady2708

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 January 17 07:48 GMT (UK) »
my great grandfather is John Ridley Charlottes brother. I have just started to research the Ridley family from Bethnal Green. This is my paternal grandmothers family and want to find out more! I was also born & bred Bethnal Green. My great grandfather John Ridley married Harriet Brown and settled in Poplar they had several children including my grandmother Grace Ridley.

Offline Grace Matthews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 February 17 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I don't have a great deal of information regarding the Ridley family.  I know that John Ridley married Selina Manning.  John is listed as a "Circus Showman" in the 1901 census living in Manleys Yard, Battersea.  My grandfather James Matthews married Mary Ann Ridley.  They had 3 children, Susanah, Tommy (killed in WW1) and Grace who died  aged 9yrs.  When she died, he married her younger sister Charlotte, my grandmother. Grace is buried in Manor Park cemetery, London alongside John and Selina Ridley. Susie married into the travelling Hill family. James and Charlotte's children were Netta (married Ravenscroft) Mary Ann aka Polly (married Proctor) Rhoda (married Sedgwick) James my father, ( married Kitty Jelf, flattie) John and William who died in infancy. James died in Bristol Dec 1916.  Charlotte remarried George Hodson (flattie) and she died in Gloucester 1936. James and Charlotte are buried with their two infant sons in Arnos Vale cemetery in Bristol. Although my mother was a flattie, we still minded stalls for the Ravenscrofts, Deakins and Hill travelling families. Long before I was born, my parents travelled with Rhoda and Albert Sedgwick. My grandfather was also a flattie and I am unsure how he met the Ridley family.  He was a travelling photographer.  I have a picture of his booth.  I hope this small bit of information is of interest.  I would be grateful for any information you have.
Kind regards
Grace