Author Topic: A mother for Wilfred Charles EVERITT  (Read 31630 times)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: A mother for Wilfred Charles EVERITT
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 02:44 BST (UK) »
Could you help me some explanation of why you believe all this to be true.

"Wilfred was the son of Edward's brother John Joseph Everitt who had died in March  1881, shortly before Wilfred's birth.  There are several public trees that show Wilfred's mother was John's wife Bertha Devery.  However, it is believed within our branch of the family this is not correct, and probably a reason he was raised by his uncle.

There are also several public trees that show Wilfred as the son of another brother, Thomas James Everitt.  This error comes from information on Thomas' death certificate."

Also when possible could you have a play with your surname interests and places and maybe put them across the lines without double spaces. The post get very tiresome t scroll through.  ::)

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 02:46 BST (UK) »
Besides Bertha are there any other children to John Joseph and Bertha either in Victoria or NSW?
Also do you know what areas other branches of the family lived?

Bertha Everitt is the only known child of John Everitt and Bertha Devery.

Most of the family seem to have settled around Corowa, Albury and Howlong.  The push into Victoria came with the next generation, but even then it was still initially around the Rutherglen, Peechelba, Wangaratta region.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 02:48 BST (UK) »
I think you should obtain an official transcription of the following 1880 birth registration 

UNNAMED EVERITT,
Parents : Thomas and Harriett
Registered at : ALBURY

adding, as it is a NSW BDM, birth rego it should give info about any OLDER siblings.  :) and info about the parents (marriage/their ages/his occupation/where born/ etc)

There are no children of Everitt unaccounted for, even the unnamed one to Thomas is recorded dying same year 1880. Have searched exhaustively for mother Adelaide/Adeline and sons Wilfred/Charles/Robert and again none.

There are as JM would explain many instances of Birth returns which have not been indexed. So it is just possible that he was born to one of the other Everitt's at Howlong and not registered.

I don't hold much store in handed down family stories as these can be imaginatively enlivened over the years and much romance attached.

Neil ???

And, yes, It is likely to be associated with the 1880 dc for an unnamed female #4955 (where buried, for possible headstone searching  :) )

Sometimes it is important to actually get the document rather than rely on index entries  :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 05:06 BST (UK) »
Wilfred Charles EVERITT’s death at age 88,  has his parents as Thomas and Annie.  (Annie and Harriett can often be the same person)

Do you have the 1905 marriage cert for Wilfred Chas EVERITT and Jane Sarah DENSLEY?  (Vic, #1644).   If so, would you please type up the info as it seems to me that quite often the smallest details can lead to the key to finding the clue to unlocking the mystery.

So, the usual questions are (only from the marriage cert, NOT from any other source) 
 :)  :)  :) Date and place for the marriage, and denomination (which set of rites)
 :)  :) Bride’s and Groom’s names,
 :)  :) Their respective status (bachelor/spinster, Widow/er/Divorcee etc
 :) If either were previously married, when did the previous spouse die,
 :) And the details of the children by any former marriage
 :)  :) Where were the bride and the groom born
 :)  :) What were their occupations
 :)  :) How old were they
 :)  :)  :)  :) Where were they usually living, and where were they living when marrying each other
 :)  :)  :)  :) What were their parents names (including their respective mum’s maiden names)
 :)  :) What were the occupations of their Dads
 :) Does the document note any parent as deceased, if so, who
 :) Did they all sign or did any make their mark and if so, who made their mark
 :) Who were their witnesses?
 :) If Jane was not yet 21, who gave consent for her marriage to Wilfred

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 06:10 BST (UK) »
I think you should obtain an official transcription of the following 1880 birth registration 

UNNAMED EVERITT,
Parents : Thomas and Harriett
Registered at : ALBURY

Cheers,  JM

Just expanding on this thought.
The birth was in 18830 EDIT

This death in Albury seems to be to the same couple

REG4955/1880  EVERITT  Unnamed Female Father  THOMAS Mother  HARRIETT at  ALBURY .

Sue

ADDING
I see JM you have already made mention of this death.  ;)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 06:31 BST (UK) »
Well, you see, using my own family .... I have generations of my lot listed in NSW BDM indexes.   In one particular case one couple had a child early in the year 1879 and another very late that same year.  I knew that the second baby did not survive, because the baby's MUM told me so, decades ago....  and so there's a death registered for that wee babe.  (Died at age 15 hours as per dc).   

Now, in fact that infant death does NOT have a corresponding birth registered.   So, among some of the less experienced FH buffs in my family I have family members who have initially presumed there was only the one baby born in 1879 and that THAT wee babe did NOT survive.    Well, errr  I have gently explained (when the opportunity arose, and not ever in a bossy way) ..... that the first one DID survive, and I had been told this by the babe's mum (their Gran/Great Aunt/Great Gran etc, depending on their own relationship to me) and that the baby had thrived and went on to marry and to have 17 children (all born in the Western Div of NSW of course  ;D ) and then I hand around the photos (and bore the living rellies to 'tears') ......   

It can be important to "get the birth cert" .... and better still, when it is in NSW then to get the alternative .... "get the Official transcription"....   There's births to Thomas and Harriett EVERITT in 1880 and in 1883, registered Albury  :) 

Cheers,  JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 07:20 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0vpr/

Thursday 15 April 1886 

A death notice which is interestingly worded as it makes no mention of the father of this child.

EVANS was the maiden name of HARRIETT EVERITT

EVERITT Thomas
To EVANS Harriet
Year 1876
Reg  7648X1906

There are news item which mention a THOMAS EVERITT and they are generally concerned with horse stealing in the Howlong area.
One item mentions his "brother LUKE"

Sue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 07:26 BST (UK) »
Don't really know if this is on the track or not ::)
But as a matter of leaving no stone unturned, here is further on Harriet EVERITT (nee Evans)

Obituary

The few old friends left will regret to hear of the death of Mrs Harriet Everitt, which occurred on 18th instant at Toora. Deceased lady was a native of Kilmore ,and daughter of an old business man, Mr Samuel Evans,. who was amongst the earliest townsmen here.
 Thursday 30 May 1929

Sue

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 12:22 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0vpr/

Thursday 15 April 1886 

A death notice which is interestingly worded as it makes no mention of the father of this child.

It is interesting, but it was in the Kilmore paper, so may have been placed by Harriet's family and intended for people who ddin't know Thomas.  Also mentions Harriet's father as the "late grandfather" but makes no mention of her mother

Quote from: sparrett
There are news item which mention a THOMAS EVERITT and they are generally concerned with horse stealing in the Howlong area.  One item mentions his "brother LUKE"

This is Thomas senior.  Luke is a brother of Thomas, John and Edward.  One of the articles made me smile - published in 1885 it reports Thomas' confession to horse stealing in 1868, and is headlined "Horse Stealing In The Old Days".  Funny to think that in 1885 they already thought of 1868 as the "old days".

The impression I get is that the first generation of Everitt sons were typical "wild colonial boys".  Google the 100 mile horse race at Howlong for more adventures of Tom (Thomas) and Jack (John Joseph).  That one even made international news - well, it was reprinted in a New Zealand paper, anyway.

Quote from: sparrett
Obituary

The few old friends left will regret to hear of the death of Mrs Harriet Everitt, which occurred on 18th instant at Toora. Deceased lady was a native of Kilmore ,and daughter of an old business man, Mr Samuel Evans,. who was amongst the earliest townsmen here.
 Thursday 30 May 1929

Again, oddly no mention of Mrs Evans.