Author Topic: William Bolas and family, Welshpool, 1861  (Read 5833 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Bolas and family, Welshpool, 1861
« on: Wednesday 14 August 13 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, anyone happy to look for William Bolas and family in Welshpool in 1861 please?

William was born in Shropshire around 1826 and married Naomi Jones in Chirk (Denbighshire) in 1846. Naomi already a child Edward Maurice Jones (1843) and then William and Naomi had James (1847), Sarah (1849), Mary Hannah (1852) and William (1854) in Chirk before moving to Welshpool and having Anne (1856), Alice (1858), Harriet Naomi (1860), Jane (1862) and Ellen (1863).

They were back in Chirk a few years later as Naomi was killed by a train there in May 1869 (taking a short cut across a viaduct). William married Justina Roberts (a widow) later in 1869 and they lived in Chirk until their deaths. I have info on most if not all of the children but I cannot find any of them in 1861. 

William was a labourer, a carpenter, a labourer in a coalmine and then a coalminer.

Obviously not a major issue but I like to tie up all loose ends if I can and would therefore love to find the family in 1861.

Thanks,

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Bolas and family, Welshpool, 1861
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 August 13 09:26 BST (UK) »
Well Deirdre Naomi is still alive in 1871!RG10/2784/35/16.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 August 13 09:30 BST (UK) »
Naomi died in 1879.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 August 13 09:38 BST (UK) »
WRJ - you had me going in your first post... 1971  :o

Sorry yes, her death was in 1879, not 1869, typo in my original post (I found the newspaper story on her death a few days ago!).

And William re-married in 1879 too  :-[

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 August 13 10:00 BST (UK) »
I can tell you this Deirdre I need a proof reader for everything I post!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 August 13 10:13 BST (UK) »
I can tell you this Deirdre I need a proof reader for everything I post!

My problem is that I need my glasses on to see the computer screen but off to type (accurately!).....   ::)

Offline Nic Dafis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 March 14 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deirdre,

Naomi was my g-g-g-grandmother, through the direct female line. I've never heard about her terrible accident before tonight, although I'm sure when I ask my mum she'll say "oh yes, I told about that years ago!"

I don't have the family on the 1861 census, but I do have Ellen's birth certificate, and various other documents. You may have seen these on Ancestry.co.uk, if you use that at all. I have lots of information on Ellen's family, if that's of any interest to you.

Thanks for the link to the newspaper article, from the other thread. If you need any help with Welsh translation, get in touch.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deirdre,

Naomi was my g-g-g-grandmother, through the direct female line. I've never heard about her terrible accident before tonight, although I'm sure when I ask my mum she'll say "oh yes, I told about that years ago!"

I don't have the family on the 1861 census, but I do have Ellen's birth certificate, and various other documents. You may have seen these on Ancestry.co.uk, if you use that at all. I have lots of information on Ellen's family, if that's of any interest to you.

Thanks for the link to the newspaper article, from the other thread. If you need any help with Welsh translation, get in touch.

Hi Nic,

Naomi was my husband's ggg grandmother, through Mary Hannah.

Finding the newspaper report was a bit of a shock, a tragic accident and with her daughter as a witness.

My tree is on Ancestry but I don't believe I've seen your tree and documents. I'll pm you.

Deirdre

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Of course Deirdre Nic Dafis will have to make two more posts before you can PM them

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire