Author Topic: Hardiment of Wicklewood  (Read 6831 times)

Offline gillygirly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hardiment of Wicklewood
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 21:36 BST (UK) »
Robert 1796 had 8 sons and 1 daughter. Tell which child is in your line then we can expand a bit. Incidentally we have no William born 1791 in our records.

yep, I have Robert's 8 sons/1 daughter

William born 6 Jun 1791 Morley St Peter. I found the story of the murder in local papers and thought he might fit into my tree....... but maybe not.......... also found 2 Roberts, one was imprisoned for bribing voters at Norwich elections in 1868, the other committed suicide in 1899 by prussic acid after cooking the books at his workplace, neither of those fitted into my tree either  ;)

Offline Hardiment

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 21:49 BST (UK) »
My line is James ( brother of William married to Sarah Daniels) and Elisabeth Adcock,
Frederick 1865 married to Martha Betts.
Wilfred 1905 married to Ellen Dye.
Then me Dorothy Hardiment 1931 Wymondham now living in Suffolk

Offline gillygirly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 22:15 BST (UK) »
My line is James ( brother of William married to Sarah Daniels) and Elisabeth Adcock,
Frederick 1865 married to Martha Betts.
Wilfred 1905 married to Ellen Dye.
Then me Dorothy Hardiment 1931 Wymondham now living in Suffolk

I believe that makes us 3rd cousins once removed  ;D very nice to meet you and thanks for all your help

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hello

My gt grandfather Samuel Tuttle's second wife was Sarah Ann Hardiment (nee Daniels) in December 1/4 1875 (freebmd)

Samuel's daughter Ellen (born 28/4/1855 Wicklewood) married George Hardiment 21/6/1875 Wicklewood

Bee
 :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jake.hardiment

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 February 14 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I realise that I'm joining this conversation rather late, but I too am having trouble tracking down William Hardiment b.1791 (Hanged on Castle Hill).

I have a comprehensive tree drawn by a EUA student before I could even talk which lists all known descendants of Robert and Rebecca Herron (accurate 1991-2).

It even has a Dorothy b.1931, and we are 5th cousins (possibly 3 times removed!).

I have a Mary listed bapt. Wymondham 1781 who doesn't fit into the mix at all who I thought might be William's (1791) sister. This also doesn't fit with the online records of baptism.

Any more thoughts would be appreciated, and hello to newly found cousins!

Offline gillygirly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 February 14 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jake

I have recently found out quite a bit more about William Hardiment 1791 but I'm away on holiday until 28th Feb and don't have access to my notes until then.

From memory, his father, William, married Sarah Lincoln at Morley St Botolph in 1784. They had a daughter (I have not been able to find her - perhaps your Mary) who was in a lunatic asylum. Both William and Sarah had died long before their son committed the murder for which he was hung on Castle Hill.

I have been unable to find baptism records for William or Sarah in order to move forward with this. Nor do I have evidence that they actually fit into the tree of Robert Hardiment/Rebecca Heron.

Perhaps we can work on this together?

Gill

Offline jake.hardiment

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 February 14 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gill,

That sounds great!

I'm assuming you've read Welland's document 'The Wells Murder of 1817'?

I've emailed the author asking about his statement about an'insane sister' as he doesn't seem to qualify it very well. I'll let you know what he says although it'll probably not be new to you!

Unfortunately I know nothing about the Mary on my tree, as it's unfortunately all just names to me. She's on her very own special branch which hangs on its own from the top of the page.

Offline gillygirly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 February 14 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Ive got the book  ;D

Welland will have got most of his info from the many newspaper reports at the time, mainly the Norfolk Chronicle, which stated that William had an 'insane' sister.
The book also has an excellent picture of his death mask which is held at the Castle Museum.

Gill

Offline gillygirly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 February 14 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Jake, my grandmother was Blanche Hardiment 1898-1949. Do you have her on your tree?

Gill