Author Topic: Clothing, 1819 -1900 in NSW  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Leanne.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Clothing, 1819 -1900 in NSW
« on: Friday 16 August 13 13:56 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find information about the type of clothing people would have worn between 1819 -1900 in Sydney NSW

I've been doing some searching but there are so many different styles and different information I'm lost and confused.

I need some clothing ideas for Men, Women, Girls aged 3 yrs - 12 yrs and 9 year old boy.
I have found some things they aren't original clothing but people are now making clothes but they are so expensive. I've been to a few charity stores but couldn't really find anything suitable.

My family is volunteering and need to dress in period costume there is 2 adults and 5 children so it's starting to get very expensive. I found one online site that wanted $190 for a skirt and $65 for an apron.

I have a sewing machine and found a few patterns online, but I am not an expert and some of the things I have tried to make look crap.

I know this isn't a family tree topic but thought it might be ok to ask about it here, someone on here might have some information that could help me.
Researching Whitby from England & Australia, Taylor from Scotland & Australia, Norman/Normand from France & Australia. Other last names in my tree Raeburn, Appleby, Ingram, Lynch, Hayes, Baker, Ketley, Newman, Dobson, Holdsworth, Summerill, Summerell.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing, 1819 -1900 in NSW
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 August 13 14:29 BST (UK) »
Perhaps phone or email NSW State Library ... they are  excellent for all things NSW

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 August 13 15:02 BST (UK) »
Dear Leanne,

1819 -1900 is a large number of years of fashion in Australia. Most of the people who came here from 1819 to about 1840 were convicts - so many wore rags.

1840 -1900 many wealthy people emigrated to Australia because of the promise of land. For these people the fashions of London were only 3 months away, or less, by ship.

We also get during this period - Gold miners, Immigrant brides, refugees from wars, and people from many lands.

Also for much of this period in Australia - throw away the sewing machine - most families didn't have one.

I can give you more help and info if you can give me more details about what you need.

(shhh don't tell anyone but I have studied historical fashion).

So yes you came to the right place, cheers Ted
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Leanne.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 August 13 15:24 BST (UK) »
Dear Leanne,

1819 -1900 is a large number of years of fashion in Australia. Most of the people who came here from 1819 to about 1840 were convicts - so many wore rags.

1840 -1900 many wealthy people emigrated to Australia because of the promise of land. For these people the fashions of London were only 3 months away, or less, by ship.

We also get during this period - Gold miners, Immigrant brides, refugees from wars, and people from many lands.

Also for much of this period in Australia - throw away the sewing machine - most families didn't have one.

I can give you more help and info if you can give me more details about what you need.

(shhh don't tell anyone but I have studied historical fashion).

So yes you came to the right place, cheers Ted

Thanks Ted, I realise it's a long period of time and there would have been a lot of different styles.
I mainly gave those dates because I thought it might be easier to find something simple, instead of being limited to a certain year.

Where I am volunteering the buildings were made between 1819 and 1890. At the moment I am wearing a long black velvet skirt, a simple white button up cotton blouse and a white mob cap and a crocheted shawl.
Which is what most of the people are wearing. I'm just trying to expand my collection a bit and also find some stuff for the family.
I think we are dressing for the lower to middle class, but I wouldn't mind a few upper class articles to dress up in when we have fancy events.

Does that help at all? What information would be helpful ?
Researching Whitby from England & Australia, Taylor from Scotland & Australia, Norman/Normand from France & Australia. Other last names in my tree Raeburn, Appleby, Ingram, Lynch, Hayes, Baker, Ketley, Newman, Dobson, Holdsworth, Summerill, Summerell.

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 August 13 15:29 BST (UK) »
I'll start with the 9 year old boy. Pretty much the same if there was some money in the family or if they were poor. Tweed jacket, a shirt (with or without a collar - without was poorer). A tie. a pair of pants (not modern trackies) something with a straight leg will do - doesnt have to match the jacket. And a cap

I'm trying to post a photo of my son aged 8 at a similar event - but it is a bit big.

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 August 13 15:34 BST (UK) »
the 9yo son. Put lace up boots on his feet. This lad was not allowed to wear boots indoors.

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 August 13 05:39 BST (UK) »
I have in my personal library a ladies journal (undated) but I believe to be between 1900 to 1910. I could scan and send you some pics. Some of the simpler garments would be reasonably easy to copy. (LOL depends on your sewing skills)

Regards
Jennaya

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 August 13 02:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  Try the Powerhouse Museum.

Leanne