Author Topic: Andrew Wallace b. 1824 Lanarkshire  (Read 2783 times)

Offline ErikWithK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Wallace b. 1824 Lanarkshire
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 August 16 20:49 BST (UK) »
According to our family tradition, Andrew Wallace was a master bricklayer, and was recruited to come to Canada to help build the parliament complex in Ottawa.  The family used to insist that they did not immigrate, but they were "imported". 

Andrew may have had his occupation listed as a gardener on some records; many of the male members of the family were known for being quite good at this hobby.  He died quite young--I have information on the cause of death.

His wife Susanna Hutton was said to be quite a strong woman.  Violet Wallace said that Susan Hutton had a twin sister who may have died at sea.  However I heard this story long ago and I can't vouch for its accuracy.

I had heard of the Cruickshank family but was not sure of the relationship with the Wallaces.  Note that there is also an Andrew Wallace born to Robert Wallace and Janet Cruickshank, in Scoonie, Fife.  However our tradition says that Andrew was from the Glasgow area.

Douglas Wallace said that there used to be a family tree that showed a Robert Wallace as the earliest ancestor.  Also, like all Wallaces, the family claimed descent from a brother of Sir William Wallace ; )

I also have pictures of Andrew Wallace and Susan Hutton.