Author Topic: passenger lists  (Read 513 times)

Offline Teek10

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
passenger lists
« on: Saturday 17 August 13 23:49 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor who served in the shropshire 53rd reg in India in the early 1800s.His name
was John Binns bap.1785 Elland ,Halifax west yorkshire. His wife Mary was also with him and they had 2 children in India,Robert born 1808 and John born Dec. 1812.
I found some army records and he was discharged from the army whilst still in India.His discharge date is 19th october 1811,so it looks like he stayed in India for a while. Their next child was born in 1818 in Halifax so they were back home by then.
Just wondered if anyone had access to passenger lists to see when they came back.Im guessing they probably didnt stay too long after John was born in 1812.
Thankyou

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: passenger lists
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 August 13 13:20 BST (UK) »
hi teek10
firstly the incoming passenger lists to the uk don,t start till 1878 , also I,ve looked for your  john binns in the pension records and can,t find him nor is there a birth for Robert or john in army births 1761-2005 .
coming back to the uk they more likely came home by a trading ship possibly east india company vessel as trade with india at this time was very big business .
out of curiosity where did you find the info regarding j binns army service .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Teek10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: passenger lists
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 August 13 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor, after years of looking finally found them on ancestry.co.UK. Only saw them last week. They must have just put the records on because I check regularly. It isn't his full service record but I have full description of him and also his signing on and discharge date.. I'm hoping that might come later. Thanks for your reply anyway.

Regards.
                Trevor!