Author Topic: Tolond family history - Can't find death certificate  (Read 3659 times)

Offline JoTolond

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tolond family history - Can't find death certificate
« on: Sunday 18 August 13 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've been trying to trace the Tolond family history, but have come to a halt as one of my relatives is only mentioned on his son's birth certificate once and then appears to vanish. I know he died, because his wife re-married and said she was a widow.

But I can't find a marriage or death certificate for him :(

I think he died between 1870-1873 and was a mariner merchant, so he might have died at sea.  Are there any particular records I should have a look at?

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tolond family history - Can't find death certificate
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 August 13 13:47 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat!

What is the date & place of birth of the son whose birth certificate he is named on?

If you want specific help on this person, you will need to give his name, name of wife & their approximate dates of birth, name of son & any censuses you have found him on [preferably with the census reference].

For general help - the sites most commonly used [free] freebmd, county bmd sites, familysearch.org [pay] findmypast - who have deaths at sea & other 'abroad' events, ancestry & NBI for burials.  Some RC mambers have local family history parish records transcriptions on CD.

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 August 13 14:10 BST (UK) »
Have you checked out the wife? Could she have been Miss Toland and gave birth to an illegitimate son.
Mr Toland could have been an invention of hers, in which case you would not find the marriage or his death. When she married it would be a simple thing to state she was a widow rather than a spinster.
Have you found a baptism for Baby Toland?
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 August 13 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo

Have just sent you a pm. I have sent you my email address in the pm.

Jean  :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 March 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

I'm interested in your Tolond roots as I am descended from Hannah Toland (a variant) b c 1818-1826 in Strabane, Ireland. She was married in Donegal in 1845 to James Mellon but moved over to Scotland & England around 1848 as their son Michael (my g grandfather) was b in Scotland 1848 & his younger siblings Ann & Catherine (no birth records found) were born Manchester c1850 & c1853 respectively according to census records.

Would be interesting to find a connection as the name is not common  :-)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 March 14 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

I'm Jo's cousin and we are very short of info about Thomas Tolond/Toland/Tolland.   I think he was lost at sea in 1869 but I can't say for sure other than someone with his name was missing presumed dead at this time and as you say it is a rare name.   It would be interesting to find a connection but we don't have enough information to trace his Irish family.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 March 14 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Where did you find the info. regarding "missing, presumed dead" ?

What paper or other source was it in ?

What area was his normal place of residence at the time he was missing ?

What exactly did the article state ?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 March 14 15:27 GMT (UK) »
A man of the same name appears in the maritime deaths of find my past in 1869, there are no family details, it just says his ship was the Golden Pledge which according to newspaper reports of the time went missing in bad weather.  There are no reports regarding the crew.

There doesn't seem to be way of proving that this man was our relative other than an uncommon name and he was on a ship sailing from Liverpool and  wife was a widow in 1871.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 March 14 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you looked for a recorded death in the area of his normal place of residence with variants of the spelling of his surname ?

Only trying to help :-)

Annie