Author Topic: Dungannon McCaughey relatives  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Sporran55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dungannon McCaughey relatives
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 January 24 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
I am trying to trace information about the McCaughey family that was originally from Lurgan. I have quite a bit of info regarding James McCaughey (1825-1916) and his wife Sarah Browne (1825-1910), plus lots of his siblings and relations. My main interest is that James's youngest brother was my great grandfather Thomas McAuley (1845-1929) - notice how the name has changed!!
I always thought my ancestry was towards the Macaulays of Ardincaple, next to my home town of Helensburgh, and I was gutted to see that it appears that due to illiteracy and possibly a strong Ulster accent, I may originate from Northern Ireland and not Scotland!!!
Any links to McCaughey's would be appreciated.

Offline Gerald C McCaughey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 January 24 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi And A Good Morning From Australia

We don't have many links to Lurgan on our tree and looking at the names in that area there were many spelled McCaughLey which probably changed to McAuley later and they came from Scotland! Sorry We Cannot Help With More Information

Regards

Gerald McCaughey

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 January 24 07:55 GMT (UK) »

…his father was John McCaughey married to Mary (Minnie) McCaughey (born McCool)

Link with date and place-

Marriage - 22 January 1901 at Tullyallen RC Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1901/10297/5748238.pdf

John, a farmer living at Aughnagar [sic] townland.
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/dungannon-middle/donaghmore/clonavaddy/aghnagar/
Mary living at Gortlenaghan townland.
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/dungannon-middle/donaghmore/clonavaddy/gortlenaghan-and-derrykeel/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Sporran55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gerald.

I come from Scotland and I think the name 'morphed' from McCaughey/McCaughley to my surname of Macaulay. The additioanl disappointment is that my home town of Helensburgh is the clan seat of Clan Macaulay!!!!!

Sorry we are not able to be of assistance to each other. All the best in your hunt!

Regards

Graham Macaulay