Author Topic: Tree tidying  (Read 2684 times)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tree tidying
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 August 13 11:27 BST (UK) »
Another vote in support of family tree software on your own computer; my  own preference is for RootsMagic.

I had a similar problem with side branches in that one of the surnames in my tree is quite uncommon, to the point that I believe everyone of the name is related within the last few hundred years. So, I have added every one I find to the database and it is then simple to link them together when a connection is found.

RootsMagic has the facility to colour code names which makes it easy to see if someone is an ancestor or not, when you browse the database.

Most programs have a free trial version to download to get you started.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline touchofmange

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 August 13 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi just been thinking, is there something in a gedcom file or the way that software programs list these that would mark them out as a different group?  I've got geneviewer lite which does a basic list and branch, but i don't really understand all the info.  If not, i was thinking i could put a note in the top and bottom person in each tree on ancestry, which i could search for in the gedcom, which would help eliminate some groups from the jumble. is there anything better than that?

thanks
Perry- wilts, sussex and hants
Bonieface- sussex
Maslen- Wilts
Barnett- Hants

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 August 13 11:37 BST (UK) »
If you are happy with downloading and installing software, you could try this:

http://www.rootsmagic.com/Try/RootsMagic/

It is free! You can import your GEDCOM file into it and play around with it to see if you like it.

I have no connection with the company, just a long-time user of the program  :)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 August 13 12:01 BST (UK) »
Just grabbed Rootsmagic free & you can import a GEDCOM then from that you can export it using selected names.
So you can do this with the various branches converting them into separate GEDCOM files.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 August 13 12:06 BST (UK) »
Just a suggestion.
 If you don't have any software to help, would it not be easier to start a new tree with just your known ancestors on it rather than trying to remove all those that are not related?
Yes it would take some time to transfer each person but as your direct line is smaller it would be less of a job.
Seeking baptism for Thomas Peter Nugent c1802-10 and Charles James Nugent c 1805-10 somewhere/anywhere in London
NUGENT Westminster Bermondsey Walthamstow
COLLIER & OWEN Bermondsey
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire
GROVER Burghfield Berkshire
HALL Buckinghamshire Walthamstow Norfolk
Mary Ellen/Ellen Mary ARCHER c 1875 Derby????

Offline touchofmange

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 September 13 11:48 BST (UK) »
i've just been trying to do someone a gedcom from rootsmagic, and interestingly in doing his family group i note the gedcom has my tree in it too, so we must have a link somewhere.  Unfortunately there are nearly a 1000 people in the gedcom so is there any way i can find a link between two people? it must go down and back up a bit, probably through a spouse that isn't a Perry. Is there a clever way of doing it or is all going to be legwork?

thanks
Bonieface- sussex
Maslen- Wilts
Barnett- Hants

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 September 13 12:02 BST (UK) »
If you buy a copy of FamilyTreeMaker, premium edition, I think, it will give you three months free sub to Ancestry UK, and this would [more than] offset the cost of buying the software.

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 September 13 12:07 BST (UK) »
You can have as many trees as you wish on Ancestry.

I have at present 2

1 with everyone on
1 with just direct line ie parents, grandparents, g/grandparents etc. no siblings, so a basic tree

and am now considering also adding further trees with just certain branches in.

And I have Rootsmagic, is it me or is this one of the most complicated programmes around.... ;)
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline touchofmange

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 September 13 12:27 BST (UK) »
well perhaps when you select someone and export their entire tree, it automatically includes your own tree??  i can't find any link between our lines but they're all there. Anyone else used this feature on rootsmagic?

thanks
Bonieface- sussex
Maslen- Wilts
Barnett- Hants