Author Topic: Search for parents of Sydney Egmont Hill *completed*  (Read 12775 times)

Offline SignalHill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Search for parents of Sydney Egmont Hill *completed*
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 02 October 14 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Aunty Marg
You may well have some material not known to my part of the Hill Family

I have been puzzled in particular by how Mary TAHANA nee BISHOP became free to marry Matthew HILL

I think you need to make two more posts to become eligible to send and receive Personal Messages so post away

Signal
Calvert Dobson Metcalfe;  Otago, Yorkshire
Johns Blewett;   Bendigo, Cornwall
Turnbull Hempseed Matheson;  Otago, Bendigo, Lothian
Butterfield;   NZ, Yorkshire
Brewer Tothill;   NZ, Gloucester London
Klee;   Canterbury, London, Hanover
Cutler;   Fordingbridge Hampshire
Hill ;  Taranaki
Gordon Dunn;   Otaki Wellington
Anderson;   Canterbury Tyrone

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 02 February 24 02:09 GMT (UK) »
This thread is ancient history now, but I'm working on my DNA connection to a large cluster of cousins who all seem to be connected to this Matthew Hill who died at Puniho, almost all with Māori ancestry.  I haven't figured out how I'm connected to him. 
My mum's family:  MESSENGER (=> NZ 1852), ROSCOE/ROSCOW, ROBINSON, GROOMBRIDGE (=> NZ 1909)
My dad's family:  WHITE, CROOK. (Devon => NZ), SCHAEFFER/SCHALFER (Eisenach, Germany), MCFADYEN (Scotland) (=> NZ 1870s)
My daughter's family:  HAILEY, WAKEFIELD (=> NZ 1850s)
My husband's family:  FLETCHER (Goole, Yorkshire => NZ),GREVERS (Wassenaar, Holland), HILL (Devon => Australia), NOTT (Australia)

Offline SignalHill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Taonga
I have looked for descendants of Mathew in my family tree
I have only found four with names you list

1   Robert Robinson who was the second husband/partner of Hetti Patricia GORDON - neither of them blood relatives of Mathew

2   Jane Christian FLETCHER who married Arthur Robert LILEWALL - neither of them blood relatives of Mathew

3   Athol Ross WHITE who married Valmai BARTON - neither of them blood relatives of Mathew

4   George Rothwell WHITE who married a grand neice of Arthur John HILL (Mathew's oldest son so also not blood relatives of Mathew

Mathew joined the 58th Regiment who fort in the Crimean War and became the Diehards.   The regiment came from there to Taranaki.   
Mathew was he second husband of Mary BISHOP.   Mary's first husband was Wiremu TAHANA from Bell Block vicinity near New Plymouth.  We think that Mary had one or more children with Wiremu in the 5 years they were together and one Eliza seems to have become part of Mathew's family.   There is also a suggestion of another TAHANA known as Polly

The other Maori Kin in the Family tree are GORDONs   Mathew's Grandson Sidney Egmont HILL married Emma Belinda GORDON a grand-daughter of John GORDON and Rina TE AKAU from Otaki.   Rina was Te Arawa from HoroHoro near Rotorua and came to Otaki with TE RAUPARAHA.

Calvert Dobson Metcalfe;  Otago, Yorkshire
Johns Blewett;   Bendigo, Cornwall
Turnbull Hempseed Matheson;  Otago, Bendigo, Lothian
Butterfield;   NZ, Yorkshire
Brewer Tothill;   NZ, Gloucester London
Klee;   Canterbury, London, Hanover
Cutler;   Fordingbridge Hampshire
Hill ;  Taranaki
Gordon Dunn;   Otaki Wellington
Anderson;   Canterbury Tyrone