Author Topic: 1871 Census Lookup - Please  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census Lookup - Please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 August 13 05:29 BST (UK) »
Tom, thank you for your interest and input to my post.

You may have a different family as the William I have posted about is my Great Grandfather and I have all documents in relation to him. My William was not born in 1863 although his sister Catherine was. If that is all the children you have listed to that family group then it is definately not mine.

I do appreciate your input  ;D

DropBear
Baxter: Lanarkshire, Slamannan
Jordan: Lanarkshire, Staffordshire
McFarlane: Lanarkshire
Mitchell: Ireland to Scotland, Canada & New Zealand
Farrell: Lanarkshire, Ireland, New York
Fagan: Lanarkshire, Ireland
Hogg: Lanarkshire, Ireland

Offline tombuc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 August 13 06:25 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
Andrew Baxter born c1834 was the second child of a family of nine born to Robert Baxter and Margaret Donaldson. I think that we have the same family with what would appear to be a case of the death of a child and and the subsequent naming  of a later born child in their memory, a tradition which was common for many years in Scotland. Whilst I cannot vouch for this I will be visiting the records office in Edinburgh next week and will try to confirm dates of birth and possible dates of death relating to the children of Andrew and Elizabeth.
My interest stems from the ancestry relating to Jane Baxter c1841 my gt gt grandmother, and part of the same Baxter family as youres.
Regards,
Tom Buchanan
Buchanan, Brown, McLeod, Maxwell, McLean, Smillie, Jarvie, Struthers, Baxter, Bennie, Bartholomew, Paterson, Christie, McLauchlan.

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 August 13 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hello again Tom,

You have confused me (not hard)  ;D. My reply to you refers to your first post regarding the children of Andrew Baxter and Elizabeth Stewart. If this is correct you have the wrong birth date for William and some missing children.

In your second post you are now referring to Andrew's parents and I do not understand who you are talking about with "the death of a child and the subsequent naming of a later born child" and then you refer back to Andrew Baxter and Elizabeth Stewart's children.

If you are going to check on Andrew Baxter and Elizabeth Stewart's children in Edinburgh, please let me know which ones as I have most birth certificates, marriage certificates and some death certificates and I would be happy to confirm dates for you.

My apologies but you have confused me somewhat  ;D
DropBear

Offline tombuc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 August 13 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Perhaps if can ease your confusion regarding your ancestor William Baxter and his various siblings. I posted a list of the children born to Andrew Baxter and Elizabeth Stewart that I have on my files.
Whether my records contain all of their children is a matter for me to resolve.
Regarding the difference in dates for William Baxter I thought that I had given a clear explanation of a custom which was extremely common in Scotland. When a child died in a family and there was the birth of another child of the same sex at a later date, then they were given the name of the deceased child, thus keeping their memory alive. I offered this as a possible explanation for the conflicting birth dates of the two children. Whether I am right or wrong should be resolved when I visit the records office.
Does this help ?
Regards,
Tom Buchanan
Buchanan, Brown, McLeod, Maxwell, McLean, Smillie, Jarvie, Struthers, Baxter, Bennie, Bartholomew, Paterson, Christie, McLauchlan.

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 August 13 09:28 BST (UK) »
Tom, you have obviously taken my reply and offer to help the wrong way.

I wish you well in your research.

DropBear

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 August 13 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi tombuc and drop bear,

I had a wee search about SP and LDS websites, could not find 2 William Baxter births in Slamannan around that time. However looked on LDS and they have a tree for Andrew Baxter and Elizabeth Stewart, who have 11 children listed. There is quite a bit of similarity between tombuc's entries and the following tree, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/SYDC-9JH

This tree gives a William Baxter birthdate as 27 August 1867 not 1863 as tombuc stated. I know what tombuc states is quite common, where a young sibling is named after an earlier sibling who died, but I have checked on SP and cannot get an entry to back this up. There is not much space for a previous William to be born and a Catherine was born 16 April 1863 so that rules a William born in 1863 to this family.

Maybe worth checking the 1863 birth you have for William, tombuc.

Tom "tidybooks" Buchanan
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tombuc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 August 13 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Tom,
I had a look at the lds tree as suggested and found that as you said there are a lot of similarities with information that I have. This is part of a large amount of information regarding the Baxter families and whenever I find inconsistances I do a thorough search at the records office during my monthly visit. I agree that the dates look out and the answer could be the birth of twins with one dying shortly after birth. This is a bit of a long shot but I will give the matter a good coat of looking at.
Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Tom Buchanan - snap