Author Topic: ELIZA PALMER born 1820 in Shutford, Oxfordshire - Were was she in 1841 & 1851  (Read 21208 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ELIZA PALMER born 1820 in Shutford, Oxfordshire - Were was she in 1841 & 1851
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 August 13 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi again thought I would follow Charles Palmer born Shutford, in 1861 he is married to a Jane with children, but interestingly in the household is a Thomas Palmer aged 11 Nephew b Marylebone, Middx Census Ref RG09/1394/65/18

Following Thomas back to the 1851 aged 1 along with an Eliza Palmer aged 3  both birth place not known, are shown along with 2 other children  with a Mary Ann Pedley aged 54 Widow occ Take in children to Nurse b St Pancras they are at 1, John Street, St Marylebone, Middx
Census Ref HO107/1491/744/2

Wonder whose children these were?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: ELIZA PALMER born 1820 in Shutford, Oxfordshire - Were was she in 1841 & 1851
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 August 13 00:48 BST (UK) »
A Thomas Hannaford Palmer was baptised 3.2.1850 at St Mary's Lambeth - mother Eliza - no father
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 August 13 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi again, must get some work done, so followed Susannah Palmer, will give basic for you to fill in!

1851 Census aged 22 occ House Servant b Knightcote at Sibford Gower, Banbury
Census Ref HO107/1733/315/27

1861 Census aged 32 occ Cook b Knightcote at Allesley Village, Warwickshire
Census Ref RG09/2189/64/12

1871 Census

John Palmer 42 Widower occ Inn Keeper b Knightcot
Susan 43 Sister b Knightcot
Clara 15 b Aston
Ellen Eliza 13 b Coleshill
Martha Susanah 11 b Coleshill
Arthur John 10 b Coleshill
Charles Reynolds 9 b Coleshill
William James 3 b Coleshill
Residing at Forge Mills Railway Inn, Coleshill, Meriden, Warwickshire
Census Ref RG10/3162/40/16

1861 for John aged 31 occ Miller b Radway with wife Charlotte 27 b Edgbaston and family at same address as 1871
Census Ref RG09/2188/35/17

See you later, odd that Eliza/Elizabeth/John not yet found in 1851?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 August 13 09:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you CaroleW & Keyboard 86 for the lateral thinking that will most certainly help to move my research forward.  Much appreciated.

But the question still is, where is Eliza?  Hopefully the information that you have provided could lead me to her. 

Could Thomas Hannaford Palmer (b1850) be the link that will do this?

Best wishes,

Andy
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline martin downes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 September 13 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, The question which may provide the required info is who is the father of Thomas Hannaford Palmer? My Grandmother Clara Palmer said her Grandfather was an Earl, got presents from 'the big house' at Christmas etc. Eliza gave birth in London(30,Stangate st), but had no links to the city. Thomas has links to Burton on trent (Paget st, Uxbridge rd.) which has links to Paget family. My suspicion is that the father was Alfred Henry Paget (known as Lord Alfred Paget). Strange that THP came from nowhere to becoming a Blacksmith (trade requiring apprenticeship) by age of 21. Where was he in 1861 census? Lichfield seems to be a central link also. Hope I may have provided food for thought, looking forward to any info.

Offline martin downes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 September 13 10:22 BST (UK) »
Of course....as earlier post he was with his uncle Charles in Devon in 1861.puytct

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 September 13 11:04 BST (UK) »
This now looks very promising indeed. Thank you.

Charles Palmer was Eliza's younger brother so this fits perfectly.

Onwards and upwards hopefully!
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 September 13 19:09 BST (UK) »
Could this be Thomas Hannaford Palmer in the 1851 census with an elder sister?
Registration District: Marylebone; Sub-registration District: St John
Mary Ann Pedley;  54; Head; Born: St Pancras, Middlesex, England, Take in children – Nurse.
Henry Wrench 10; Nursling
Aorebella Morrice; 10 , Nursling
Eliza Palmer Age: 3;  Nursling; born: Where born: N
Thomas Palmer;  Age: 1; Nursling; Where born: N

. . . . . .but back to the original question where was Eliza Palmer (born 1820, Shutford)?

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 September 13 19:41 BST (UK) »
I was intrigued to see Charles had headed off to Devon - may be a complete coincidence but there are some Hannaford Palmers being baptised and dying in Plymouth/Tavistock area 1830s and 1840s