Author Topic: ELIZA PALMER born 1820 in Shutford, Oxfordshire - Were was she in 1841 & 1851  (Read 21216 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
I am trying to help a friend discover an ancestor in the 1841 census and 1851 census. If anyone can help it would be really appreciated. All the information I have discovered about her so far is:

ELIZA PALMER was born 1820 in Shutford, Oxfordshire, and died 25 Aug 1904 in Saltash Villas, Showell Green Lane, Sparkhill, Yardley,Birmingham. She married THOMAS BAMFORD 25 Mar 1860 in The Parish Church, Lamport, Northamptonshire.. He was born Abt. 1812 in Lamport, Northamptonshire.
Notes for ELIZA PALMER:
In the 1871 census Eliza was 50, the head of the household so Thomas had died. She was the grocer and Post Mistress at Lamport Street Post Office in Lamport, Northants. Other member of the household were Florence (10), Charles (eight) and William (5) There was also a lodger John Goode (18, an undergardener)
In the 1881 census Eliza Bamford had become Eliza Smith (60) wife of Thomas Smith (62). Thomas Smith wasthe Station Master (Ott Railway), living at Uppingham Road Railway Station, Medbourne, Leics.
In 1891 Census Eliza Smith (70) was widowed again and living at 51, St. Andrews Road, (living on her own means) at thehome of her son Charles Bamford (28) single and a Railway Parcel Clerk.
The 1901 Census shows that Eliza,now80,was living with her daughter and son in law(Florence and William Tranter) at 1 Saltash Villas, Sparkhill, Birmingham.
She died 25 August 1904 at the above address age 84.Death Certificate states that she was the widow of Thomas Smith, a Railway Station Master.Cause of death is given as"Chronic Rheumatic Arthritis Diarrhoea 6 days 14 hours Cardiac failure". William Tranter son in law was present at the death and also the Informant.
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: ELIZA PALMER born 1820 in Shutford, Oxfordshire - Were was she in 1841 & 1851
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 22:26 BST (UK) »
She married THOMAS BAMFORD 25 Mar 1860 in The Parish Church, Lamport, Northamptonshire.

She was nearly 40 by the time of this marriage - does the marriage cert show her as a spinster or a widow?

What was her fathers name and occ on the marriage cert
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ELIZA PALMER born 1820 in Shutford, Oxfordshire - Were was she in 1841 & 1851
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 22:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.

She was a spinster. Her father was given as John Palmer a Schoolmaster

She was baptised as Eliza in Shutford, Oxfordshire on 18th February 1821 her father again is given here as John (Lab.) her mother is given as Hannah.

In 1822 a Charles Palmer is baptised in Shutford with parents given as John (Schoolmaster) and mother Hannah.

. . . . . but where can she be in the 1841 and 1851 Censuses?

The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 August 13 20:45 BST (UK) »
Perhaps a summary of all the information I have in relation to Eliza Palmer might help to find her during the period 1820 to 1860:

Eliza Palmer b.abt 1820/1 Shutford Oxon and had a brother Charles also born Shutford abt 1822.  Their parents were John Palmer b.abt 1797 and Hannah Tayler b.Shutford 18 Oct 1795 (not sure if this is a birth or baptism date)

From the Warwickshire baptism register there is a John and Hannah Palmer (Schoolmaster) baptising children in the registration district of Burton Dassett (this is very close to the Oxfordshire boarder).
Children:
Esther Ann 15 Feb 1824 (Tysoe)
Mary Ann 3 Sept 1826 (Kingscote)
Susannah 25 May 1828 (KIngscote)
John 31 Jan 1830 (Kingscote)
Sarah Ann 4 Sept 1831 (Kingscote)
Elizabeth 9 Feb 1837 (Kingscote)

In the 1861 census to find there was an Elizabeth Palmer (Eliza's sister) working at Lamport Hall as a ladies maid. Eliza was a servant there too, (from her marriage certificate).

28 April 1870 Lamport
Henry Rootham Full Age Bachelor occupation Carpenter (Father Thomas Rootham occupation Farmer)
Elizabeth Palmer Full Age Spinster occupation Servant at Lamport Hall (Father John Palmer occupation Schoolmaster)
Witt: Eliza Bamford & Charles Henry Bonham

Henry and Elizabeth went on to have one child Frederick Fleet Rootham and at some point the family moved from Lamport to the East Coast.

Elizabeth put either Radway or Kingscote Warwickshire in the census forms with the exception of the 1911 census where it is noted that she didn't know where she was born.

I hope this will help someone get through this "brick wall".

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 August 13 23:23 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth 9 Feb 1837 (Kingscote)

The 1871/81/91 censuses for Elizabeth show her birthyear as 1834 as does this FS entry

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NGBT-T24

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 August 13 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hmm not a Schoolmaster, but one I was going to post earlier?

1841 census
John Palmer 40 occ Publican
Hanah 40 Not born in county
Susannah 13
John 11
Elezebeth 7
James 2
James Goppy 20 occ Blacksmith
Residing at Radway
Census Ref HO107/1133/ 13/4 /3
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 August 13 23:33 BST (UK) »
Just beat me to it.  I was also puzzled by the dramatic change in John's occ between the baptism of Eliza and the baptism of Charles - in 2yrs he had gone from being a labourer to a schoolteacher

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 August 13 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again, change of employ once again for John:-

1851 Census

John Palmer 53 Widower occ (Receiver of letters) Postman b Radway
James 11 b Radway
Residing Radway
Census Ref HO107/1733/387/16
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 August 13 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hannah was buried 16.4.1843 Radway aged 46