Author Topic: McFadden and McGuire convicts sent to Australia from Ireland.  (Read 11045 times)

Offline Rebekah_MitchellMatthews

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McFadden and McGuire convicts sent to Australia from Ireland.
« on: Friday 23 August 13 03:30 BST (UK) »
 Alexander McFadden born about 1825 or 1828 in Donegal, Ireland, son of Michael McFadden and Catherine (nee: Hogan/Hagan).

Michael McFadden was born circa 1799.

Michael and Alexander were gaoled in the County of Donegal, Ireland. Sentanced to 7 years by Chief Justice Doherty for stealing geese.

Michael and Alexander were also charged with Patrick Halferty ( Londonderry Journal 14th march 1843) with house breaking, larceny, stealing geese and stealing flax.

There is no record of Patrick Halferty having been transported to Van Diemens land.

Alexander was only about 10 years old when sentanced with his father and shipped to Van Diemens Land. More likely he was aged about 17 or 18 years old, when he was transported.  If he was 10 years old, any records of his time in Van Diemens Land would be among the records of Point Puer, boys prisons. Point Puer started in 1833 or 1834.

Alexander McFadden married Sarah Gooden/Gooding/McGuire 16th of February 1857 , Kyneton, Victoria.

Sarah was born circa 1828 in  Jerusalem, Tasmania. Said to have been daughter  of Michael McGuire and Mary A Starr.

Apparently no records of any births between Michael McGuire and Mary A Starr registered in Tasmania.  Michael reported as living with other convicts around the time, and very little is known of Mary A Starr other than to say she was placed to work with a farmer, and she apparently died aged 27 years.

Michael McGuire was born about 1795.

He was tried in July 1817 for burglary and robbery and sentenced to life.  He arrived in Tasmania, from Ireland, 7th of June 1818 aboard the ship Minerva.
Described as a convict and landowner.   

Michael McGuire lived with Mary A Starr and they had at least one child, Sarah Gooden (Gooding/McGuire), There is no certified record of Sarah born to Mary and Michael.

There are NO records of  Sarah Gooden/Gooding/McGuire in Tasmania for the relevant time which she could be Mary and Michael's child.

Mary A Starr?  Who were Mary's parents and what was her history?  Sarah may have looked upon Mary as a mother, rather than Ms Starr actually being Sarah's mum.  Sarah McFadden after her marriage to Alexander  her maiden name noted as Blair. No record of Mary A Starr's parents has been found in any Tasmanian archives. 
Mary was of brown skin, black hair and black eyes.

Michael McGuire, he owned land with his partner Michael Hatton. (Michael Hatton married Margaret Cunningham in 1845).
There is an association of some nature in August 1920 between McGuire and a George Salter.

Michael McGuire disputed over land holdings in January 1839 at Brandy Bottom, with former friends Hugh Coggins and Thomas Coggins (The Coggins were father and son). They had met on the ship Minerva (on the way over from Ireland), but I failed to find history of these men being on the same ship.

Michael McGuire and Michael Hatton owned land in Coal River Valley area.
McGuire was living in Jerusalem in a wooden house in 1842. He shared house with Hatton and possibly 10 other residents. Two in the household were convict.

1858 McGuire and Hatton's properties included Belle Vue in Richmond, leased to Captain James Booth. But not proven.

McGuire died 13th of November 1859 age 64 years. Buried in Saint Patrick's Cemetery, Colebrook, Tasmania.  With James McGuire, of County Cavan, Ireland. James died August 3rd, 1870.  James was Michael's brother.
Michael Hatton died in Tasmania after Michael McGuire.

Alexander McFadden, died on the 25th August 1908 aged 60,  Blue Mountain, Victoria (Trentham, Victoria.) Sarah, Alexander's wife, died  4th of June 1910 also buried in Trentham.

I have no records of the McFadden's family members in Ireland, other than Michael's parent's names Michael McFadden and Rebecca.

Michael's burial Melbourne's Old Cemetary, underneath Queen Victoria Market. There is record of Michael McFadden, died in 1860 in Victoria, Australia.

Rebekah Blackwolf-Mitchell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McFadden and McGuire convicts sent to Australia from Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 August 13 03:33 BST (UK) »
Alexander and Sarah McFadden's children:

James McFadden, was born in 1854 in Glenlyon, Victoria, Australia. 
He married Catherine Jane Graham at Barry's Reef, Victoria in circa 1876? (record no: 3130).  Catherine was the daughter of James Graham and Janet Silcock (or Salcock).
Catherine was possibly born in Falkirk, Scotland, the same country where her parents were born - but I am not sure of this yet.  However, as for her parents, they were definately born in  Scotland. And they were noted as having come from either Falkirk or Stirling.
James McFadden died on the 4th of October 1923, in Geelong, Victoria (record no: 14936).

Andrew McFadden, born ?
Michael McFadden, born 1858?
Alexander McFadden

Martha McFadden, born 1862? - however Sarah McFadden's maiden name is given as Blair on Martha's birth certificate.

Margaret McFadden.
Richard McFadden - born Creswick?
John (Richard) McFadden, born 1865? and died 1867 in Bungaree, Victoria.

Richard McFadden, born 1867 at Bullarook, Victoria.
Alexander McFadden, possibly a twin brother for Richard, and therefore also born 1867 at Bullarook.

Edward McFadden, born 1870 and died 5th of February 1875 both at Bullarta, Victoria.

Mary Ellen McFadden, born  in 1867 or 1873? in Daylesford, Victoria.
She married Guilford Gray Thrum in 1890. They had children.
Mary Ellen died in 1906 in Kyneton, Victoria (record no: 13605).

Twins - Alfred and Albert McFadden, both born 1876 and both died 1877 in Glenlyon, Victoria.

William McFadden, born 1879.  He married Martha Reed in 1905.  They had children.
William died in Trentham, Victoria in 1959.

Edward McFadden, born and died 1881.

The Trentham Hisotrical Society have told me Alexander was a "letter carrier'" from 1884 to 1919, at first with a Michael McFadden.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 August 13 03:46 BST (UK) »

Michael and Alexander were gaoled in the County of Donegal, Ireland. Sentanced to 7 years by Chief Justice Doherty for stealing geese.

Michael and Alexander were also charged with Patrick Halferty ( Londonderry Journal 14th march 1843) with house breaking, larceny, stealing geese and stealing flax.

Alexander McFadden born about 1825 or 1828 in Donegal, Ireland, son of Michael McFadden and Catherine (nee: Hogan/Hagan).

Alexander was only about 10 years old when sentanced with his father and shipped to Van Diemens Land. More likely he was aged about 17 or 18 years old, when he was transported.  If he was 10 years old, any records of his time in Van Diemens Land would be among the records of Point Puer, boys prisons. Point Puer started in 1833 or 1834.

Alexander McFadden married Sarah Gooden/Gooding/McGuire 16th of February 1857 , Kyneton, Victoria.

Hi there,

Welcome to RChat.

Have you gone through the Convict records freely available via the Tasmanian Archives online website?

There's an Alexander McFadden and a Michael McFADDEN both on the Orator, departing Dublin Aug 1843, arriving VDL Nov 1843...

Tasmania's convict records perhaps are among the best kept records  :)

http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=11

There's also several very experienced RChatters who frequent the RChat Australian Board and who have fantastic understanding of those VDL records.  (I am NSW centric, and not much chop with Tasmania's records, sorry).    Here's the link to RChat's Australian Board.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=165.0

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 August 13 04:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. I am new to this site, as if you cannot already tell ha ha. I'll try these links.
cheers, Rebekah.
P.s. how would I find out about Michael's wife Rebecca (being Alexander's mother?) from here in Australia and needing to have records searched in Ireland?

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 August 13 04:25 BST (UK) »
There is a 'pay for' site
www.rootsireland.ie

to search for your irish ancestors.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 August 13 04:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. I am new to this site, as if you cannot already tell ha ha. I'll try these links.
cheers, Rebekah.
P.s. how would I find out about Michael's wife Rebecca (being Alexander's mother?) from here in Australia and needing to have records searched in Ireland?

Michael McFadden was born circa 1799.

The archives I pointed you to are free to search, there's images directly from the original convict records in 1843.   Michael is shown as a married man.   Alexander is shown as aged 19.   

I am a tad confused by the info about Michael's wife ..... Rebecca or Catherine ....  :)  but may I ask if you have Alexander's Victoria marriage cert....  The depth of info on Victoria's marriage certs is absolutely fantastic for family history buffs...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html

What info did Alexander supply about his mum when he married in 1857 in Victoria.  :)   Info would be first hand  :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 August 13 14:41 BST (UK) »
The Kilmainham prison register reveals:

Michael McFadden, co.Donegal, stealing geese, 7 years, 17th March (ST.PATRICKS DAY!!) 1843, Lifford Assizes, 45 years, 5 foot 7 1/2 inches, hazel eyes, brown hair, complexion ? (can't make out word - looks like smartly? Not sallow, fair, fresh, ruddy, etc.), when committed: 29th April 1843, when and how disposed: 8th august 1843, C.S.Orator, R.C, married, neither R or W, occupation: labourer, one previous conviction (does have a further comment of previous conviction but it is hard to read)

Alexander McFadden, co.Donegal, stealing geese, 7 years, 17th March 1843, Lifford assizes, 16 years, 5 foot 4 inches, hazel eyes, brown hair, fresh complexion,  When committed: 29th april 1843, when and how disposed: 8th august 1843, C.S.Orator, R.C, single, read, occupation: labourer

Katharine.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 August 13 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hello again. Thank you both very much.

I think Alexander's father Michael was married to Catherine. And Michael's father, Alexander's grandfather, was married to Rebecca.

I'll look these links up today as this is very exciting.

We cannot find Michael's grave here in Australia. There was a market place built over it, and some 10,000 bodies are underneath Queen Victoria Market.  Records were destroyed by fire.

Some bodies were moved, those of "early pioneers" - and Michael McFadden being an Irish convict (and quite possibly not from the North as such) - I was told would not have made him one of those moved to another cemetery when the Market was built.

Well, at least I can follow him back "home" from these clues you have helped me with. 
thanks heaps,
Rebekah.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 August 13 10:58 BST (UK) »
Do you have Michael's death certificate?

How are you sure he was buried in the Old Melbourne Cemetery now under the Queen Victoria Markets?  Death certificates in that era usually showed Melbourne Cemetery or New Melbourne Cemetery. 

Images of death certs are available to purchase online [$20] and immediately download.  You need the surname of the deceased, registration number and year and your credit card.
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=purchaseImage

I have seen time and time again an assumption that an ancestor was buried in the Old Melbourne Cemetery when in fact the burials were in the New Melbourne Cemetery now known as the Melbourne General Cemetery at Carlton.

Perhaps you could contact MGC and ask for a search of their registers.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk