Author Topic: McFadden and McGuire convicts sent to Australia from Ireland.  (Read 11046 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McFadden and McGuire convicts sent to Australia from Ireland.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 September 13 04:34 BST (UK) »
The Melbourne General Cemetery advise that a Michael McFADDEN aged 60 years was buried in an unmarked public grave in Catholic common ground on 12 May 1860. It does suggest to me a possible pauper funeral.

If he died in a public institution there may be no further info about him however it may be worth spending $20 to purchase the cert on the off chance that the informant did know something about him eg where he was born, age he was married and to whom, how long in Australia and in which colony and any children living and deceased of the marriage ie if it is your Michael.

I suggest you amend your family history records as the Old Melbourne Cemetery and the Melbourne General Cemetery are different cemeteries.

All the best
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rebekah_MitchellMatthews

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 September 13 12:06 BST (UK) »
Cheers. Thank you for this. I had phoned Heritage Victoria to ask about the Old Cemetary. Someone suggested Michael may have been in Carlton, others said Springvale. But I'll pay for that certificate for Michael, as even if it turns out he is not the Michael I'm looking for, he may very well be linked somewhere along the way.
cheers.
Rebekah Blackwolf-Mitchell

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 02:10 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't waste my time ringing Heritage Victoria about a burial in Melbourne in 1860.  Sorry but I've been doing research for too many years and am often dismayed, disappointed by opinions/advice of people who may be well 'qualified' but simply don't have the knowledge. 

Springvale cemetery was not open in 1860 ::)

I congratulate you on making the decision to purchase Michael's death certificate as you cannot accurately research any family without purchasing certificates along the way. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high as it may not be your man and there may be no further identifying information on the death certificate.  I do hope it is your man :)

Rebekah I notice you have requested information about your ancestors on many websites and perhaps it may be my interpretation but documents eg bdm certificates, wills, directory entries, electoral roll listings, newspaper items, cemetery and burial records are vital to accurately research anyone's ancestry. I put bdm certs at the top of my list.   I don't wish to sound unkind at all, but assumptions do not make for accurate family history.  Please accept my comment in the spirit in which it is written.

You may be interested in my posts on your ROBINSON family on the Australian board as the information given to you by someone not on rootschat, was incorrect.  The information given to you is a perfect example of someone researching simply using indexes and not purchasing any certificates to validate the information.  You really need Sydney and Alice's marriage certificate to have their ages, places of birth, names of parents including mothers' maiden names and father's occupation.  Even if you don't agree with the posts I think some feedback would be appreciated :)  We are all volunteers and spend quite a lot of time researching to help one another :).
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=659610.0

There are many excellent 'chatters who are more than willing to help you with your ancestors and to ensure your information is accurate. You have obviously have a lot of information and photographs etc and it would be such a shame to publish your family history to find later that the data was incorrect and you had traced the wrong families.

Cheers  :)
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kezzaprice

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 March 24 06:36 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering what the outcome of this conversation was?  was anything new found?

I am also a descendant of the Mcfaddons.

cheers Kerri

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 March 24 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kerrie and welcome to RootsChat.

Unfortunately Rebekah_MitchellMatthews has not been online here since 2013. If she still has the same email address she will receive notification of your post. It does sound like an interesting thread and would be interesting to know if there was any further findings.  :)