Author Topic: OGormans of Parsonstown  (Read 8346 times)

Offline catmint

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: OGormans of Parsonstown
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 November 13 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Robyn,
Sorry I didn't respond to your message from 15th.  I have been in Liverpool actually doing some family history research among other things.  I am very excited to learn that you are descended from O Gorman's from Birr and pleased to get your second reply today.  It seems posssible that my ancestor Robert and your's, Edward could be related, brothers / cousins? We need to pool some information and dates. 
The story that has come down through my family was that Robert OG farmed beef cattle and sold provisions selling cattle regularly to Liverpool.  Little by little his children came to live and settle in Liverpool.  After Robert died his wife Eliza also came to Liverpool and lived with her daughter Catherine ( known as Kate Olsen - she married a Norwegian Julius Olsen) It is thought that one of Robert's daughters remained in Birr marrying someone by the name of Mann ( also Eliza's maiden name)  My grandparent's generation seemed to have lost touch with relatives in Birr.  Does any of this ring any bells with you.  Interested  to know more about the book you mentioned.  From looking at the the online records there does seem to be quite a number of O Gormans in Birr in 1850s, some of them are bound to be related to each other but not sure how easy that will be to establish.
Look forward to hearing more from you
Cath 
Jefferys- Wiltshire & Jersey.  O Gorman- Birr Offaly & Liverpool, Olsen Hafstad - Norway & Liverpool, Wall- Wicklow, Smith- Dublin