Author Topic: Ann Todd b 1810 Paris  (Read 1232 times)

Offline fevruarios

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Todd b 1810 Paris
« on: Saturday 24 August 13 10:23 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the parents of my 3 x G Grandmother, Ann Todd. From census records I know she was born in Paris, France c1810 and is described as a British subject, she married Samuel Thompson b1806 in March 1829 and lived in Witham, Essex all her married life. Family search has two records for the marriage. I know she was still alive in 1881, there is a possible death  in 1888, but the birth date is not quite right. I would like to trace her parents and know how she came to be born in France. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Todd b 1810 Paris
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 August 13 11:20 BST (UK) »
It's possible the father was a soldier in the British Army. There were British forces in the south of France in 1813-14 and there were British forces in Paris after the battle of Waterloo in 1815.

Some wives did travel with the regiments.

1810 would be a bit early for British military in France unless perhaps they were prisoners of war.

There's a Mary Todd aged 65 in an adjacent household in Witham in 1841 - a possible relative?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 August 13 11:38 BST (UK) »
There was a James Todd of Witham who served with 2nd Battalion 35th Foot from 1809 to 1811. That unit took part in Walcheren campaign but that was the low countries, not France http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walcheren_Campaign

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 August 13 15:59 BST (UK) »
James Todd seems to have moved from 2nd Battalion of 35th regiment to 1st Battalion in February 1811, and if I'm reading the record right he went with the regiment to the West Indies in 1821 and died in Barbados in 1825. 

He was born around 1791, and served with the West Middlesex militia before volunteering for the 35th in 1809.

1st Battalion was in the Mediterranean in 1811 and did not return to UK until 1817, but it is possible that James Todd served with the depot company in UK.

2nd Battalion was with a reserve brigade at Waterloo and took part in the allied Victory March through Paris in 1815. 

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 August 13 07:34 BST (UK) »
Duplicated post - linking to other thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=658921.new#new

Offline fevruarios

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 August 13 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun J, Thanks for all the information, fairly new to this so never thought to check for possible relatives nearby. Will check it out further. How do you find all this military info out
? Anyway, many thanks again for your help.