Author Topic: Alice Olive Wallis - filling in the gaps 1926-1934  (Read 2338 times)

Offline jen56johns

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Alice Olive Wallis - filling in the gaps 1926-1934
« on: Saturday 24 August 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions for how I can find out more about Alice Olive Jane Wallis, born in 1893 in Dorset to John and Jane Wallis.

In the 1911 census, she and her family were living on Gladston Tce in Long Rock.  In 1926, she has a daughter out of wedlock at Wingfield Nursing Home in Devonport, does not name the father, lists her occupation as dressmaker and her address as 22 Trescoe Tce Long Rock.  In 1934, her daughter is adopted by another family in Exeter and her name is changed.

Alice marries Robert Dearlove in 1945 and dies in Penzance in 1969.  I dearly want to find out what happened in to Alice in the first 8 years of her daughters life.  Did Jean stay with Alice, did Alice stay in Devonport or return home?  Her mother died in 1936 and her father in 1948.  I don't need a family history as I've already researched this, but I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea on how I can find what Alice was doing during that period?

I've tried the newspaper archives with no luck, the only other thing I can think of is electoral rolls for that period but these aren't online, are they?  If anyone has some suggestions, I'd love to hear them. 

Thanks!

Jenni
Johns - Cornwall
McNerney - Manchester
Speakman - Manchester
Warman - Faringdon
Utting - Norfolk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Olive Wallis - filling in the gaps 1926-1934
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 August 13 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

If there is no anecdotal info from within the family - the only way you are going to get any info is if you are allowed access to her adoption records
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Olive Wallis - filling in the gaps 1926-1934
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 August 13 19:23 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that knowing what Alice was doing in 1939 would help, or do you already have that info?

(I have just realized that the 1931 census was completely destroyed by fire in 1942, so not even that will one day be available for possible help.)

The 1939 Identity Card for Alice could at least give info about where she was living and who else was at the address, and her occupation:

http://www.1911census.org.uk/1939.htm

As you say, the electoral rolls are really the only other source of info, but as I understand it they have to be consulted physically, by address. And of course the adoption records as CaroleW mentions, probably the very best source of info. Was her entire name changed? It might have been unusual to change the given names of a child of eight, so that could be an indication she had been placed with the family before the formal adoption, maybe. Formal/legal adoption actually only became possible in 1927.

Are you certain Alice had no other children after the child born 1926?

1934 was pretty much the height of the Great Depression. She may have had to place her daughter in care earlier and relinquish her for adoption (assuming there was no family connection with the adoptive parents).
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?