Author Topic: Dennington burials - two lookups  (Read 2496 times)

Offline scatchardfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dennington burials - two lookups
« on: Saturday 24 August 13 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I think I've found my ancestors in FreeBMD: John Gooch d Sep quarter 1879 Hoxne and Anne Gooch d Mar quarter 1873 Hoxne. The family lived in Dennington in 1871 so I would hope they might be buried there? Does anyone have the means to see if they are there? Many thanks in advance.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Dennington burials - two lookups
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 August 13 00:23 BST (UK) »
John was 79 when he died as per freebmd.  There is a John Nance Gooch aged 79 buried 8.8.1879 at St Lawrence, Brundish

The Hoxne Reg district covered Brundish
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 August 13 00:28 BST (UK) »
Anne was 68 in 1871. The 1873 death shows age 65

The 1871 shows they were living in the civil parish of Brundish

EDIT - the 1861 shows her as 53 - so 1873 death has correct age
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline scatchardfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 August 13 23:45 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your help!

May I ask, what is your source for the Brundish record? Do you have transcripts or is the information online?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 August 13 23:51 BST (UK) »
My friend has some limited transcriptions for parts of Suffolk which he compiled some years ago so I emailed him the link to your post and he found one entry

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hello scatchardfamily

From the Suffolk Burial Index (Suffolk FHS)
John Nance GOOCH buried 8 Aug 1879 age 79.  Brundish St Lawrence

I am afraid there is no sign of an Ann(e) GOOCH(e) burial on the index in Brundish, Dennington or any of the other parishes covered c1873.  So a copy of the cert via the GRO may be the only way to confirm that one.  Only one Anne Gooch buried Brundish 10 Mar 1857 age 35.  One note of caution - there were a lot of non conformist churches in this area.  No readable Gooch's on the Dennington MIs http://www.pope-genealogy.me.uk/dennington.htm

I did find this info which I think links in & you don't already have it:
John GOOCH married Ann THURSTON (of Stradbroke) 15 Sep 1829 Brundish

Also
John Vance GOOCH (of Brundish)  married Elizabeth BUTTON 30 Dec 1794 Worlingworth St Mary.  Could be the parents of John Nance Gooch born c1800

K

Offline Worlygigger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 August 13 09:44 BST (UK) »
Interestingly, John Nance Gooch the Elder was a member of the Worlingworth Loyal Volunteer Corps, described briefly on our website...
http://www.wlhg.org/?pagename=05.People-John+Henniker-Major

From June 1798 until April 30th 1802, Capt. John Henniker-Major commanded a body of infantry, ninety in number, raised for the defence of the parish of Worlingworth, and of the eight adjoining parishes, Southolt, Athelington, Horham, Wilby, Brundish, Tannington, Saxtead and Bedfield. This body of infantry, drawn from the local inhabitants, was called the "Loyal Worlingworth Volunteers" and was prepared to defend their district in the event of invasion by the French.

On the return of peace, he presented his officers and men with a silver medal, with the representation of Worlingworth Church and Hall on one side, and, on the reverse, one heart surrounded by nine hands, expressive of the number of parishes, united in a Gordian knot, with appropriate embellishments. The colours were presented by the Honourable Mrs. Henniker-Major, to the corps in 1798 and were placed in the parish church of Worlingworth.

Gooch is recorded in the list of ninety men as a 'serjeant'. He died in 1849 and a sale of his live and dead stock was held at Brundish Hall on 30h April of that year. A nice piece of history in your family.

Online Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 December 21 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Please forgive me because this message is off-topic. However, I hope to contact some people with interest in the Gooch family.  Apologies for posting the same message in three threads, as well. I searched and got three hits, and didn’t know which to follow!

I too am researching the family of John Nance Gooch of Suffolk in the late eighteenth - mid nineteenth century. I think he had sisters who made a quilt that the Quilters Guild of Great Britain has acquired for its museum collection. I am a member of the Guild and an amateur genealogist, and I have volunteered to do some research to see what I can find out about the family.

If anyone is interested in corresponding about this, I would love to hear from you. If you are interested, I shall set up a new thread.
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Online Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I have started a new thread about John Nance Gooch and his sisters in the main Suffolk chatroom
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall