Author Topic: Town Parish?  (Read 10513 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Town Parish?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 August 13 10:52 BST (UK) »
And the informant was recorded as an agent of the Undertaker...  I find info on a death rego is not usually as reliable as say the first hand info given when registering a birth...

Have you checked TROVE digitised newspapers 1916 for Obit or the State Archives for any Probate Packet or Will...  If NSW death a probate packet can include many BDM original certs used as evidence at NSW Supreme Court  to PROVE eligibility to inherit

Cheers JM

No I "bought" William's Death certificate 1970, he was born 1841 died 1916. His parents those I have given you and he was supposedly born Lincolnshire.
He married Maria Mannion in New York, all this according to that certificate.

The one we are looking at now, to try to figure out where he was born, is the birth of his youngest girl child 1881.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Catrina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 August 13 11:16 BST (UK) »
I Agree, that's why I bought the Birth Certificate, to get the information straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
 I have searched everywhere and as for a Will, not a chance.

Many thanks to all, I appreciate your input.

Regards, Kate
(Sydney, Austraila)
Ward, Pridden, Swabey, Haslegrave, (Surrey) Simpson, Cull (Middlesex) Searby (Lincolnshire) Hobbs (Berkshire) Lally, McNamara, McGrath, Manion, (Ireland) Spencer, Mayo, Collender (Somerset, Gloucestershire)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 August 13 11:22 BST (UK) »
Please type up the info on the birth cert ...  I am happy to search through my offline NSW resources.  I know of quite a few Aussie RChatters who have offline resources for the other States/Colonies.

Have you considered asking for help on the Aussie Board

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Catrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 August 13 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM but it's not Aussie stuff I need it's the name of the place he was born on this birth certificate I put online.

Kate
Ward, Pridden, Swabey, Haslegrave, (Surrey) Simpson, Cull (Middlesex) Searby (Lincolnshire) Hobbs (Berkshire) Lally, McNamara, McGrath, Manion, (Ireland) Spencer, Mayo, Collender (Somerset, Gloucestershire)

Offline Catrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 25 August 13 11:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much, I'm very grateful for your efforts but I forget to eat when I'm doing this and I am STARVING, I have to stop and eat.

Regards Kate
(Sydney, Australia)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 25 August 13 11:46 BST (UK) »
Yes I realise that ... BUT on that birth cert what does it say about

where he married
when he married
what was his occupation
what age at birth of the baby

With that detail then  a search  can be made to find that marriage and thus what info on that doc re his birthplace ...
marriage info is first hand. 
the info on that birth about William is second hand.

May I also note there is a commercial website with images from passenger lists into several Australian ports.

Cheers JM

Thanks JM but it's not Aussie stuff I need it's the name of the place he was born on this birth certificate I put online.

Kate

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 August 13 12:51 BST (UK) »
OK - do you have any other documentary evidence regarding the birthplace of William Searby?

From FreeBMD I can find only two instances of a birth in the name of William Searby being registered in the period January 1840 - December 1841 - both are within Registration Districts covering Lincolnshire - March quarter 1840 in Spilsby, and June quarter 1841 in Horncastle District, although of course there are other forenames registered within the period.  This in itself is not conclusive since, unfortunately, it was not obligatory to register a birth until 1870's  ???

Again, from FreeBMD I cannot see any marriage for William Searby anywhere in England or Wales during the period July 1837 to December 1841.  Therefore we must assume that William (Senior) married prior to the introduction of Civil Registration on 1 July 1837. 

The 1851 census shows two instances of a William Searby having been born in the period 1840 - 1841.  Both are in Lincolnshire, and both have a father named George.  The 1841 birth year is the son of George and Ann, and was born in Goulceby (in Horncastle Registration District) and living in Huttoft, and the other is the son of George and Elizabeth born in Bolingbroke (in Spilsby Registration District) and living in Chelsea.  The 1841 shows George, Elizabeth and William living in Bolingbroke.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 25 August 13 15:14 BST (UK) »
The 1841 registered William Searby was baptised 4 July 1841 at All Saints, Goulceby, the son of George (a labourer) and Ellen Searby.  I'm assuming that Ellen dies, as George marries Ann Mason in 1847.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 26 August 13 00:27 BST (UK) »
Have you considered re-purchasing that 1916 certificate.   NSW BDM updated their equipment several times since 1970 when you purchased it.  You will have noticed some of the changes when you received the 1881birth cert.

May I ask which office issued the document in 1970..   Was it a local BDM office or the Sydney HQ for BDM or the local Titles Office or.... perhaps even a Court HOuse...

Cheers JM.

No I "bought" William's Death certificate 1970, he was born 1841 died 1916. His parents those I have given you and he was supposedly born Lincolnshire.
He married Maria Mannion in New York, all this according to that certificate.

The one we are looking at now, to try to figure out where he was born, is the birth of his youngest girl child 1881.