Author Topic: Town Parish?  (Read 10510 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Town Parish?
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 08:35 BST (UK) »
Reverting back to your original question regarding the origins of William Searby and "HOLFORD".

My gut feeling is that the place is ALFORD in Lincolnshire - the informant was Irish, possibly had an Irish accent and appears to be illiterate, AND the Registration took place in Australia.  Plus we know that there are a number of occurrences of the surname SEARBY in the Spilsby Registration District, which covers the town of ALFORD.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 18:02 BST (UK) »
I decided to follow through the families of the George Searbys from Lincolnshire and in particular that of George and Elizabeth in Chelsea in 1851(HO 107  1474  407  60).While they are horribly mis transcribed on FindMyPast in 1861(George is given as 75 from Herefordshire) I'm fairly sure they are the family at 365 Albany Road Camberwell(RG09 386  91 36).William is not with them,but,and it may be wishful thinking on my part,the occupation of George on the original looks like " Sec't(?) of John Manning(?) Company".It could be "Mining" or something similar..but worth a look?

Regards
Roger

Offline Catrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 06:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks BumbleB and despair

Taken note of both suggestions and have been looking at Alford as suggested by another person too.

I am now shifting search to Pennsylvania Marriages, fingers crossed.

Many thanks to all.

Regards Kate
Ward, Pridden, Swabey, Haslegrave, (Surrey) Simpson, Cull (Middlesex) Searby (Lincolnshire) Hobbs (Berkshire) Lally, McNamara, McGrath, Manion, (Ireland) Spencer, Mayo, Collender (Somerset, Gloucestershire)