Author Topic: William Wright, Butler of Bedford  (Read 9115 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Wright, Butler of Bedford
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 August 13 15:34 BST (UK) »
Rosie, you're a star. You've restored my self belief as I was convinced I was losing the plot.

When Ancestry has transcribed them as Ann Mane, Wiliam Wery and Hannah Wery I'm not surprised I couldn't find them! I was slowly working my way through Tottenham Court Road but I'm not convinced I would have picked them up even then. How did you find them?* I've added corrections to Ancestry. But where was Bethel?  - he was the family member who was missing, not William!

OK, Rosie's performed the impossible. Now for the miracle!

Does put a slightly different complexion on it though, if William was born in Middlesex.

There's no will for William held at Bedford Archives

Janice, your Ancestry tree gives William's dob as 25 Mar 1789, with parents Thomas & Mary. Was this from the family bible?

David

* Rosie has explained to me in a personal message how she found them. Sheer genius! If I had a forelock I'd touch it!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 06:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks again David & Rosie - you've put me to shame!!

I've been scrambling through all my old handwritten paper records, trying to find where I got info from.
In 1992 my researcher found a marriage between William Wright & Ann Gray for 1813, & Bapt. of Eliz Ann in 1816 - I now know these are the wrong people - I've removed them from my ancestry tree. The parents Thomas & Mary also come from the same misleads, so they're gone!

I know that the marriage between William Wright & Hannah Pearson is the right one, mainly from Hannah's Death cert, and Eliz Ann & Bethel's Marriage.

I'm going with the family bible entry - Ann Wright born 11 Aug 1814 as being for Elizabeth Ann. I also have notes from a relative saying she was baptised 19 Jan 1815 at St Marylebone- but haven't confirmed.
(I have let my ancestry subscription lapse, so can't look things up, or even check matches with other trees - will have to rejoin when the finances pick up)

Brilliant work on the 1841 census, Rosie. Good to know William was born in Middlesex (though his employer could have been from Bedford). I know that Hannah was born in Hovingham, Yorkshire.
No idea where Bethel could have got to- perhaps travelling on 'business' - He wasn't with his father & brother William in Nunnington, Yorkshire (neither was his brother James). Not that William's occupation is Independent. Possibly retired/left a legacy by his former employer

From my 1992 researcher
In the 1851 census 217 Tottenham Rd, doesn't have any of the family in Residence, but is listed as a place of business (warehouse :) for Bethel Ware, Straw Bonnet Manufacturer. 6 people are listed there. (He also has a business address at 62 Aldermanbury, London)
in 1851 at 12 Alfred Place, Bethel Ware, 38, is listed as head man, straw bonnet manufacturer employing 6 men & 55 women, born Nunnington,Yorks. Also resident are Elizabeth Ann Ware, wife, 36, born Middlesex, London, Anna Ware, dau, 5, born Middlesex, Mary Fuller,36, Nurse, Widow, born Suffolk, Capel, and Ann Fisher, 22, servant, born Middlesex.

Thanks for the translation of Charlotte Nipwell - I had a feeling that she might have been a nurse - (like me). I wonder if he was actually hospitalised for his phthiasis - he had it for 5 years before he died.

The family bible says he was buried in St Johns Church Bedford - do you know whether there is a list of tombstone inscriptions somewhere?

Thanks again for your help - do you have any connection to my Wright family, or are you just extremely kind people.
I'm in Melbourne, Australia, hoping to make a trip OS next year so i might be able to do some of this stuff first-hand

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 07:55 BST (UK) »
I'm going with the family bible entry - Ann Wright born 11 Aug 1814 as being for Elizabeth Ann. I also have notes from a relative saying she was baptised 19 Jan 1815 at St Marylebone- but haven't confirmed.

The family bible says he was buried in St Johns Church Bedford - do you know whether there is a list of tombstone inscriptions somewhere?

There is a christening at St Mary-Le-Bone, Middlesex 9th January 1815
Ann Elizabeth, parents William & Ann Wright - she was born 11 Aug 1814 -fathers occ looks like Servt

It might be worthwhile contacting the church about his grave
http://www.stjohnsandstleonards.org.uk/

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 13:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Rosie,
with that birthday she must be my girl, though mothers name should be Hannah, not Ann, but it could have been written down wrong- I went to vote yesterday (prepolling) & they said my name wasn't on the list, though I spelled out my surname 3 times C.A.I.N.E, went to another chap to look up out of electorate names & the first guy said, Oh, I'd been spelling it with a K!
Janice

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 15:03 BST (UK) »
Ann/Hannah are commonly interchanged.  The dates at least tie in with the information in the Bible.

Rosie

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 21:26 BST (UK) »

Hello,  just to say that while the Beds FHS have transcribed some of the Bedford parishes MI's they have not done St.Johns, I suspect the burial register entry won't give much more info.
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 01:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks John,
I've emailed St John's Church & am hoping for a reply.
Janice

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 August 13 12:26 BST (UK) »
I checked the burial entry, but there is no additional information.

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 31 August 13 01:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks anyway Steven :)