Author Topic: Help with identifying cap badge  (Read 1595 times)

Offline LincsJen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with identifying cap badge
« on: Sunday 25 August 13 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hello All

I have recently discovered some of my grandparents photos and wondered if anyone can help with identifying the cap badge on this one. I'm sure that may grandfather is sitting on the second row, far right (being leaned on!). The trouble is that I have a card from France signed by him that is embroidered with the motto of the RFA, but this cap badge doesn't seem to be the same.

Thanks and I hope I can attach the picture as it is the first I have tried!

Jenny

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with identifying cap badge
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 August 13 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

There appears to several different Cap Badges, If this is so, then this could be a course photograph.
The person that you referred to seems to be wearing an Army Medical Corps cap badge.

Offline LincsJen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 August 13 16:01 BST (UK) »
Well, that is interesting! I think a visit to my aunt is called for to see if she can help solve the problem.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jenny

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 August 13 10:25 BST (UK) »
Anything on the back of the pic? I tend to agree with genechaser but I think they are all Army Medical Corps, some without cap badges, one without a hat, two smoking, rather relaxed for a military pic of a course, could be a R and R camp maybe they have already seen the horrors of the trenches, notice not one smiling and the right hand L/Corporal has his ring finger missing I think.

James

Offline LincsJen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 August 13 17:31 BST (UK) »
No, nothing special on the back. Just a postcard (English). My aunt seems to have gone away for the Bank Holiday :(. I'll have to be patient!! Thanks for your help.

Offline bugle boy

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 August 13 05:07 BST (UK) »
I tend to agree that it is Royal Army Medical Corps although one thing puzzles me ,before I looked at this thread I was looking at a thread a few up from this one.
The subect was Help identify this uniform? and it is the medical Corp,but in that picture they all have a red cross on a white circle on their right arm ?Im afraid I dont see any on this pic.?
Adams,McKittrick. Co Down. N Ireland.

stormtroop

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,

There is one at the back , second right and two at the back at the left, who look as if the cap badges are different.

I think this could be a group of men from different regiments. I am not an expert but I know a little about the great war. So It could be men on a course or men from a collection of regiments in an area for some reason. A knowledge of "behind the lines" would be useful here.

sorry I can not help re the situation but I will have a look at a few badge examples if you are still interested? 

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 October 13 14:56 BST (UK) »
I would say that this was taken at home and that they are RAMC in training....Ergo the lack of Geneva crosses...They are yet to qualify as medical orderlies. Some of the uniforms are in awful order, and the puttees are tied abysmally!!
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 October 13 15:05 BST (UK) »
could be a R and R camp maybe they have already seen the horrors of the trenches, notice not one smiling

There does look to be quite a few "Thousand yard stares" among the poor souls.
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands