Author Topic: charles heaton  (Read 14050 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: charles heaton
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 21 September 13 02:22 BST (UK) »
Just one thing -- I think I would go for the death certificate of Ralph Heaton in 1876 in St Geo in the East. The index does say age 66, but there just isn't a Ralph Heaton in any census record to match. Annie's brother Ralph would have been 10, which seems an unlikely mistake, but I think the index we are seeing may be a typed transcription of the original handwritten one; not certain. The name and location are such a match I would want to check it out, just for sure.

The marriage in 1884 in Wandsworth isn't him; it matches with an 1864 birth in Shoreditch, I would think.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 23 September 13 18:31 BST (UK) »
Thought everything was going so well but have hit a brick wall re: records of Hamilton in Canada after Canada'a voter's list 1962.  Can find no record of marriage or death.  Have looked at descendents of Charles.  Three other children.  One died at 5 months - Joseph, Jean, Alexandre, Henri Eaton.   Florrie is on electoral roll 1957 - manager at B.T.  Lilly married Henri Beland in 1940 but after that, no records.  Am I looking in the wrong place to find death of Charles,  his wife and his children?  Drouin collection only shows what I already have. ???

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 23 September 13 21:58 BST (UK) »
We have good privacy laws in Canada -- there is no access to recent official birth, marriage and death info.

The only sources are newspaper obituaries and marriage announcements, the phone book, google ...

The voters' lists at Ancestry are an aberration and I am absolutely appalled that the info has been released (today, it is a criminal offence to disclose information from the list of electors). I'm lucky that I've been mistranscribed or something as I don't seem to be visible.

Drouin collection is also a bit of an aberration. The records are semi-private, I guess -- they belong to the church, which was actually the only official record mechanism until the latter part of the 20th century. So for Quebec, there is that source, but if it doesn't go late enough for what one wants, Quebec records end there too.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 18:17 BST (UK) »
Googling (google.ca, search and then use search tools to select Pages in Canada) did find a couple of other historical things about Hamilton Heaton.

http://www.iode.ca/uploads/1/0/7/9/10792849/war_memorial_winners_1920_to_1940.pdf

(IODE = International Order of Daughters of the Empire, a sororal / charitable organization that still exists)

FIRST WAR MEMORIAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP
Recipients 1920 - 1940
HEATON Hamilton 1934-1935

http://faculty.marianopolis.edu/c.belanger/quebechistory/encyclopedia/AvocatsduQuebec-LawyersofQuebecPart3.html

Biographies of the lawyers of Quebec
(died between 1941 and 1976)
HEATON, Hamilton
publication date 1964, pp. 251-252

(The bios stopped being published in the bar review in 1976).

http://faculty.marianopolis.edu/c.belanger/quebechistory/encyclopedia/AvocatsduQuebec-LawyersofQuebecIndex.html

"Jean-Jacques Lefèbvre, an erudite genealogist, was the main author of the biographies although for a number of years other authors were also associated with this work. Some of these biographies are relatively short, especially in the first years. However some considerable attention was accorded to some people, reflecting the important role they had played in the profession. These biographies contain a considerable amount of information. Genealogists and historians will find in them useful and important details."

The Revue du Barreau is a publication of the Quebec bar. It is only on line back to 1999.

You could contact the Barreau to request a copy of the article. For the Revue, there are two email addresses here you could try directly:

http://www.barreau.qc.ca/en/publications/revue/textes.html

(They relate to submissions for publication but they are the best I can find, and I'm sure they would pass your request on.)

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 19:08 BST (UK) »
Again, many thanks for your help.  Didn't know you were from/lived in Canada. Although I understand the need to protect everyone's privacy,  would have been nice to have tied up a few ends re: Charles death, his wife's and his children's marriages and subsequent children. This could have led to some relatives who may still be living.  Anyway, will check what you have sent.
Regards
Sharon

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 23:58 BST (UK) »
Yup, it's a trade-off. There are many people who would like to be "found", no doubt, but it's just up to them to go looking for themselves. ;)

Note that the bio for Hamilton indicates that he died in 1964, in case that leads to anything. I would definitely try to get hold of a copy. If you had no luck with the Revue du Barreau (but I would think they would help), an inter-library loan might be arranged, since every academic library in Canada and probably even reference sections of public libraries in Quebec would have the series.

Offline cbeland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 29 June 14 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am the grand-grand-children of Charles Heaton, who moved from England to Quebec when he was young. I was asking questions to my dad this morning regarding his grand-father and then I looked up his name on the internet and found this blog! I was not expecting to find anything interesting about him but I am very pleased and exicited to read all this. As I already read here, he was married to Marie Louise Du Sault and have had 3 children, Hamilton, Flory and Lily. Lily was my grand-mother. Are you part of the family? I would be interested to share other information with you.
Regards,
Christine