Author Topic: charles heaton  (Read 14051 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: charles heaton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 September 13 02:36 BST (UK) »
Just because one can't resist a puzzle ...

"Still not sure how Annie Hawkins/ Heaton was involved in all this.  One relative suggested that Annie's sister was the mother of Hamilton but records of him born and his mother's name are not that easy to find."

Actually, we don't know who Annie Hawkins/Heaton is at all -- this is the first mention of her in your thread! If you could explain that, it could help somebody help more.

(We actually don't even know which "Records say he was from 'St George in the East Parish'." That is, what records you have that you have that info from. Telling everything you know and clarifying what you are really looking for is really important.)

Are Hamilton's parents not as shown in the 1911 census?

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1911/jpg/e002066659.jpg

Charles's birthdate there is given as April 1881 - yes, dang, that would be right after the 1881 census, in all likelihood.

Aha. I have just found Charles in 1901 at Ancestry by looking for anyone in Maskinongé born in England. Charley Hacton. Lemme look for him at automatedgenealogy or collectionscanada ...

Here you go.

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1901/z/z003/jpg/z000149964.jpg

automatedgenealogy has him as Haeton, which is how it looks to me.
(The problem with AG is no fuzzy searches; you have to guess the spelling, and I guessed that.)

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=78440&highlight=22

Adopted son of Leon and M. Louise Giguère, who also have a daughter ten years older.
It gives his birthdate as July 16, 1880, England.
I believe the occupaton says Ouvrier - labourer.

I think this is Virginie Dussault, aged 43, with daughters M. Louise and Berthe, as in 1911, and husband Hubert, a merchant. There is a Desaulniers family on the same page ... and a widowed 63-yr old L. Alexis Desaulniers farther down the page whom I might suspect of being her second husband. And oh look -- he is a lawyer.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=78442&highlight=12

(The relationships and occupations are in French, so I've given the translations.)

Both families are living in Louiseville. It's rather an odd coincidence that the enumerator named on the page where Charley appears in 1911 is Charles Eaton!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 September 13 02:54 BST (UK) »
Does the Hawkins reference relate to this thread?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=655251.msg5014418#msg5014418

I'm trying to find a Ralph Hawkins who was either born or lived in Birr.  Born about 1835-1845.  Moved back to England and married someone from Dorset.  No mention of him in any census after his daughter was born in 1863 in Middlesex England.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 September 13 03:16 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for records in the Drouin Collection at Ancestry?

http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1091
Quebec, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1967

I don't pay for access, but I note a birth of a Joseph Hubert Hamilton Heaton - Charles's wife's father was Hubert. By narrowing my search, it confirms he was born in 1911.

By doing a search for the marriage of blank name to Charles Heaton, we find that she was Marie Louise Augustina Dusseault.

Both events were in Louiseville. There are two other Heaton births in Louiseville between 1911 and 1921:
Marie Luce Leon Anie Lelly Heaton
Marie Adrianne Marguerite Florie Heaton
(as transcribed, of course)

If you have not had a look at those records, it could be worthwhile -- if Charles knew his father's/parents' names (I forget how much info is recorded), you might find that info there.

... and just because I am obsessive, I have found them in the 1921 census at Ancestry.
http://search.ancestry.ca/search/db.aspx?dbid=8991&o_iid=53636&o_lid=53636&o_sch=Web+Property
Select Quebec, Maskinongé, Louiseville.
They are on page 11 near the bottom. He is Charley again. The children are Hamilton, Lily and ... well, I might guess Gladys, but you give it a shot. No, wait, it must be Florry. All the children go by their last given name.

Unravelling this census is going to be a transcriber's nightmare.

Anyhow, is there a possibility that Charles's father was Joseph ... or Hamilton? Joseph being the baptismal name. Does the Anie in Lily's name maybe mean anything?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 September 13 17:06 BST (UK) »
And just more obsessiveness ... searching for Heaton marriages in the Drouin collection 1927-1967, we find only Lilly Heaton. She married Henri Beland in Louiseville in ... 1940.

A search at www.mundia.com shows multiple trees with Lilly Heaton who has family members Henri and Jean, but then returns no results. And no results at Ancestry.

btw, per Ancestry incoming passenger records, Hamilton Heaton arrived in Liverpool in 1934 from Montreal, dob shown as 1911, but that is all I can get w/o a subscription for those records.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 September 13 17:54 BST (UK) »
My goodness -- and the problem here is, we really do not know what you know, so you may know these things ...

http://csc.lexum.org/decisia-scc-csc/scc-csc/scc-csc/en/8601/2/document.do

(that is a Word doc) or here on line:

http://canlii.org/en/ca/scc/doc/1937/1937canlii45/1937canlii45.html

Hamilton Heaton as counsel in a case decided by the Supreme Court of Canada in 1937.

Opposing counsel was Louis St Laurent, KC, later the Prime Minister of Canada!

There is also a letter here (on page 101):

http://www.geologyontario.mndmf.gov.on.ca/mndmfiles/afri/data/imaging/42C02SE0727//42C02SE0727.Pdf

written in 1962 by Hamilton Heaton, acting for Du Pont of Canada Ltd.

I wish I knew what you know and what it is you are looking to find out!

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 September 13 19:48 BST (UK) »
Does the Hawkins reference relate to this thread?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=655251.msg5014418#msg5014418

I'm trying to find a Ralph Hawkins who was either born or lived in Birr.  Born about 1835-1845.  Moved back to England and married someone from Dorset.  No mention of him in any census after his daughter was born in 1863 in Middlesex England.
Yes it does

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 September 13 20:01 BST (UK) »
This is info for Annie Hawkins and her possible connections to the Heaton family. This project first began when a friend of mine intimated that there were a few 'missing links' in her family tree. 
Annie Hawkins - born 1863 - Staines, Middlesex but also states on census Lambeth, London
Hawkins line:
Father - Ralph Hawkins - born Birr Co.Offally, Ireland - no records
No knowledge of name of mother - no birth certificate for Annie
Letters after death of Annie (given to my friend because her mother was Annie's daughter) confirm that the family lived in Burton Bradstock in Dorset. 
Elizabeth Hawkins (born Burton Bradstock) married Philip Robert Jamison 1843 in Camberwell Her mother was a (Jane) Jenny Knight who married a Henry Hawkins in 1811. She had a brother Henry James Knight born 1821. Letters refer to Jamison as being Annie's uncle so I'm presuming Elizabeth was her aunt.  Trying to find records of Elizabeth's sister who could possibly be Annie's mother.
Heaton line:
Annie had 3 daughters, Florence, Dorothy and Eveline who were born out of wedlock.  She worked in a high society hotel in London (aged 16) and it's presumed the daughters all had different fathers.  Dorothy was definitely a Henkel.  Annie told her daughters just before they were married that their name wasn't Hawkins but Heaton.  This is another part of the puzzle. She maintained that she married a John Richard Heaton. (interestingly, she had a lodger who was called John Richard Taylor)  There are no records of a marriage between a Heaton and Hawkins circa 1891 or after when her first daughter would have been born. I think the marriage never happened.  Her marriage certificate to her last (first) husband John Brown Powell 1893 states that she is a spinster but is crossed out and widow is inserted! Family trees have suggested that Charles Heaton is the son of Annie or her sister. I know Hamilton is Charles' son and mother Dussault altho I think she may have been married before to Caron unless her maiden name was Caron.  Haven't followed this up yet.  Still trying to find the birth of Charles and the possible info of who his mother was - a Hawkins?
Sharon

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 September 13 21:27 BST (UK) »
This is all rather enormously confusing to the outsider!

The first thing that strikes me is that to find info about Elizabeth Hawkins who married Philip Robert Jamison 1843, you need to see the marriage certificate, to see whether she named a father and his occupation. Or is that where you have the name Ralph Hawkins from? Where do you have his birth place and approx date from?

No, sorry, wait, Elizabeth Hawkins' parents were Jenny Knight and Henry Hawkins who married in 1843.

So if Ralph Hawkins was Annie Hawkins' father, and Elizabeth Hawkins was Annie's aunt, Elizabeth was Ralph's sister. Which makes Ralph Hawkins the son of Jenny Knight and Henry Hawkins who married in 1811, and that doesn't seem to be working.

But you say that Annie's mother could be Elizabeth's sister.

So either Ralph Hawkins was Annie's father, or Elizabeth Hawkins' sister was Annie's mother.
It really can't be both, I think?

Can you give us some dates for Annie? She was 16 when she worked in the hotel - when? And her daughters were born when?

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 September 13 21:51 BST (UK) »
Annie's daughters were:  Florence Victoria (Heaton?) b.1889, Dorothy Henkle (Heaton) 1891, Eveline Heaton b.1892. She was married in 1893 to John Robert Powell so other daughters were  legitimately Powells (birth certs)