Author Topic: Dewar families  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dewar families
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 January 24 16:08 GMT (UK) »
John Dewar's first child, Margaret was baptised 22nd February 1793 but she must have been born in 1792 as a second daughter was baptised 28th May 1793. The last child, Janet, was baptised in 1801 with all of the children being born at Tempar.

John was not the only Dewar living at Tempar. Robert Dewar was married to Margaret McDonald, and Duncan Dewar was married to Ann McDonald.

There were no Dewar families living at Tempar by the early 1830s

Throth

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 January 24 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Here is the 1851 England Census.

The image says Newtyle - Ancestry recorded it misspelled as Newber. (as Ancestry does)

Thomas' parents were James Hill and Elizabeth Davidson.
Helen's parents were William Dewar and Beatrix Lamb.

Their first born boy was named William after Helen's father.
Their second born boy was named James after Thomas' father.
First born girl was named Elizabeth after Thomas' mother.
(Beatrix is synonymous with Elizabeth in some cases, which is possibly why the second born girl is not named Beatrix).

You will have to verify, but I believe I have parents correct.  If Cumming entered the naming of children, it may have come from further back. If William Dewar has links to the distillery family, it would also be further back or just a little embellishment on the family history.

Hope this helps.
Researching McKercher, McKerchar, McKerracher, McKericher and the families of Fortingall, Weem, Kenmore, Killin and Dull parishes.

www.mckercher.org

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 January 24 22:11 GMT (UK) »
There were 3 Dewar families in the 1841/1851 census for Rannoch.
There was a Donald Dewar aliased McLeish at Killichonan
Duncan Dewar at Newton
James Dewar at Kinloch/Bridgend (his wife and family anyway, he died bef 1841)

I can't find the Tempar/Lassintullich families.  Thinking they may have gone to New Brunswick/Nova Scotia with other Rannoch families? Not sure.

The John that married Janet Cumming may have married more than once.

John Dewar's first child, Margaret was baptised 22nd February 1793 but she must have been born in 1792 as a second daughter was baptised 28th May 1793. The last child, Janet, was baptised in 1801 with all of the children being born at Tempar.

John was not the only Dewar living at Tempar. Robert Dewar was married to Margaret McDonald, and Duncan Dewar was married to Ann McDonald.

There were no Dewar families living at Tempar by the early 1830s

Throth
Researching McKercher, McKerchar, McKerracher, McKericher and the families of Fortingall, Weem, Kenmore, Killin and Dull parishes.

www.mckercher.org

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the interest and suggestions!
I see where the idea is coming from that Helen was the daughter of William and Elizabeth (or Beatrix) Lamb with the reference to Newtyle, although I can't really make that name out the on the 1851 Census.
But, you will notice that in the census Helen's daughter Jane (19) was born in Mains . I have the birth details which record 2 August 1831 in Trottick, Mains.
 Also on the same census is her brother Charles (17)
  Charles Spink Cumming Hill was born 1833 so I am thinking after his grandmother, Janet Cumming.
I am sure this is the right family as Michael Hannigan, Jane's husband, is also on the same page.
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Helen's birth is listed as Newtyle, Forfarshire. (later Angus).

His grandmother is not Janet Cumming.

Thanks for all the interest and suggestions!
I see where the idea is coming from that Helen was the daughter of William and Elizabeth (or Beatrix) Lamb with the reference to Newtyle, although I can't really make that name out the on the 1851 Census.
But, you will notice that in the census Helen's daughter Jane (19) was born in Mains . I have the birth details which record 2 August 1831 in Trottick, Mains.
 Also on the same census is her brother Charles (17)
  Charles Spink Cumming Hill was born 1833 so I am thinking after his grandmother, Janet Cumming.
I am sure this is the right family as Michael Hannigan, Jane's husband, is also on the same page.

www.mckercher.org