Author Topic: Cant find my GG Grandfathers Birth cert. GRO refunded my order too. St Dogmaels  (Read 6637 times)

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cant find my GG Grandfathers Birth cert. GRO refunded my order too. St Dogmaels
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for your reply.

I made an order for Davids birth cert, without any refs, because if I selected this option it mentioned they would search a year either way (if I remember correctly).

The response I had was :

"We have searched the indexes for events registered in England and Wales during the years specified (1861-1863). We have been unable to find any entry with the details you provided."

It would seem that contacting the local record office will cost £28 (if they have the record) as a search is £18 and the cert is £10. If this is the only way then I will have to cough up I guess!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cant find my GG Grandfathers Birth cert. GRO refunded my order too. St Dogmaels
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 02:11 BST (UK) »
I've found the family in 1861 Census at St. Dogmells - as Morgans! - ref. RG9 - 4176 - 41 - 5

The family don't seem too hot on ages - in 1861 David shown as age 2 i.e. bc.1858-9

This census also shows there was also a son Thomas bc.1852.

Looking at births I suspect David could be the David Morgans whose birth reg'd Cardigan in Sept.1859 (I note family were Morgans in 1881 too).

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 07:40 BST (UK) »
Good find Annette.

I would try the GRO again without using the reference for the surname MorganS, year of birth 1859, place of birth St Dogmells, parents John & Maria MorganS and see what happens this time. It does take about 15 working days to process these orders, with a reference takes up to 5 working days. If there's no match again you'll get your money back.

If the reg office do make this charge (and it's not the only one), it would be a last resort. But if the GRO don't find the 2nd application, there may not be a cert to find, as I mentioned before, and you may not get all your money back from the reg office.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Tree Tective

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 09:55 BST (UK) »
Seems you may have the same problem as I did with my West Wales secret society connections starting off as MORGANS and then changing to MORGAN.

There is a marriage in 1847 that would match data but this was registered in Pembroke, but I still fancy those Cardigan registered marriages

Marriages Dec 1847
Morgans    John        Pembroke    26   1025
Williams    Maria         Pembroke    26   1025   

In 1881 John and Maria indicate they were born abt 1813, that's 10 years difference from other census returns of abt 1824

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 11:50 BST (UK) »
I mentioned they weren't good on ages earlier - 1851 both ca.1824, 1861 he ca.1811, she ca.1814, 1871 both ca.1824, 1881 both c.1813!

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 August 13 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for your replies.

Annette nice find thank you very much! Kicking myself now re: the name spelling! Could I trouble you for a copy of that 1861 census please? My subscription as up at present, so cannot view census records.

Dawnsh I have placed an order just as you say. Fingers crossed!

Treetective – When I receive the certificate, I will then be able to check your suggestions to see which is the right one. The age inconsistencies would appear to be terrible! Can I also ask for a copy of the 1881 census record please? I have some of their other census returns but 1881 I have labelled “tried and tried – must be missing”!! It is this reason that I have missed this record – my searches have been too narrow.

Thanks all. Waiting game now, and I have my fingers crossed!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 August 13 20:18 BST (UK) »
1861 Census - St. Dogmell's, Pembrokeshire - ref. RG9 - 4176 - 41 - 5

John Morgans    50      Shoe Maker             b. St. Dogmells
Maria Morgans   47                                       ditto
Elizth. Morgans  12                                       ditto
John Morgans     11                                      ditto
Thomas Morgans   9                                     ditto
Mary Morgans      8                                      ditto
William Morgans   6                                      ditto
David Morgans     2                                      ditto

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 August 13 20:31 BST (UK) »

John Morgans 68   born Bridel    shoemaker
Maria Morgans 68   born St Dogmels
James Morgans 18  Porter   born Cardiganshire
Benjamin Morgans 15   Brickmaker at Brick works   born Cardiganshire

address is  1 Upper Mwldan Cardigan St Mary 

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 August 13 20:50 BST (UK) »
Ah wonderful thank you very much both. I see that they record 2 different birthplaces too, so that could also add to my failure to find them!

Thanks. I will report back when I recive news from GRO.