Author Topic: Cerreto Sannita, Benevento, Campania, Italy  (Read 5811 times)

Offline bigirishfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • BigIrishFamily
    • View Profile
Cerreto Sannita, Benevento, Campania, Italy
« on: Tuesday 27 August 13 19:25 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone could help me with researching ancestors in this area. Great grandparents are as follows:

Carmela Guarino
  • Birth 20 Jan 1900 in Cerreto Sannita, Benevento, Campania, Italy
  • Immigrated to United States in 1915:
    • Maria Antonia ?Parillo (86)
    • Maria Antonia ?Dandoso or ?Iandolo (53)
    • daughter Guarino, Carmela (15)
    • daughter Guarino, Elena (14)
    • son Guarino, Alfonso (9)
  • Marriage to Francesco Massarelli:  1920 10 Jun Age: 20 Waterbury, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
  • Death 15 Feb 1981 in Waterbury, New Haven, Connecticut, USA

Francesco Massarelli
  • Birth 19 Jul 1891 in Benevento, Campania, Italy
  • Immigrated to United States in 1906, aged 15, alone.
  • Death 12 Dec 1970 in Waterbury, New Haven, Connecticut, USA

We don't have any information on their families, or their lives in general before coming to the United States. Cerreto Sannita seems to be a beautiful place from what we can tell on the internet (we've never been) and one day we would love to visit and hopefully have something of more substance on who our ancestors were and where they may have lived.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cerreto Sannita, Benevento, Campania, Italy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 18:11 BST (UK) »
Can you confirm from other records (censuses, marriage/death) that the family with Elena/Alfonso emigrating in 1915 is the right Carmela? On Ellis Island this family does not appear to be from Cerreto Sannita, and there is another Carmela aged 15 arriving in 1915 with different relatives who is from Cerreto Sannita.

Confirm as much as you can from the US - for example, Francesco may have arrived by himself, but he could have had other relatives in the US.  Additional information may be found on shipping, military, marriage, naturalisation, death, and/or obituary records.

For example, this may be Francesco/Frank in 1910:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MK2G-N82
cousin    Peter Barbieri, possible brother Louis

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KZFD-GTS
 - from his WWI war record I guess he was actually b. Cerreto Sannita as well although birthplace has been a bit mangled on the card (image also says "mother in Italy")

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VX55-H57
 - could be index to his naturalisation

https://familysearch.org/search/
 - there are some records online for Beneveto itself (you will have to look under Europe--Italy) these are images sets, and will not appear if you search via names from the top page.    Nothing for Cerreto Sannita up currently, but new records are still going up.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bigirishfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • BigIrishFamily
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 15:38 BST (UK) »
You know, after I posted my initial query above I went back over the individuals in question and like you now think that my previous detective work was not watertight.

Before I continue, thank you so much for your reply. It is much appreciated.

Can you confirm from other records (censuses, marriage/death) that the family with Elena/Alfonso emigrating in 1915 is the right Carmela? On Ellis Island this family does not appear to be from Cerreto Sannita, and there is another Carmela aged 15 arriving in 1915 with different relatives who is from Cerreto Sannita.

Carmela #1
I see Carmela (age 12 mos) immigrating 18 Sep 1901 with Luise Maria Lucia (29) with arrival destination as Paterson NJ to relative husband Ant Guarino at 113 Reed St.

In October 1915 I think this is the same Carmela, another passenger list with Ma Concetta Di Luise (38) step?-daughter Carmela Guarino (15) both born Cerreto Sannita, and children Crestina Guarino (13) Antonio Guarino (9) Antonetta Guarino (5) and Luciano Guarino (4) all US born. Departure relative "Mother of Luisa Crestina, Cerreto Sannita" and arrival destination of Middeltown CT to relative Antonio Guarino at 88 Liberty St.

Carmela #2
In May 1915 I see this as a different Carmela - Maria Antonia Iandolo (53) with children Carmelo Guarino (16) Elena Guarino (14) and Alfonso Guarino (9). Destination is her daughter in Brookyln NY.

I am leaning toward the first Carmela being mine as I know the family settled in CT, and she married in Waterbury to Frank in 1920. If true this is an exciting development as I potentially have her father's name and a new lead to follow.

cousin    Peter Barbieri, possible brother Louis
Thank you so much - this looks very promising. I'll have to look more into this and see what I can learn from the other relatives this Frank is living with.

Offline alexbovino

• RootsChat Extra
  • Italian Roots (genealogical on-site research)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hello,

my name is Alessandro Bovino and I'm a resident in Benevento. I would be very glad to help with your family history if you wish! Please check at this link for more information about me and my genealogy passion!!
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=660115.0

All the best!
Alessandro

You know, after I posted my initial query above I went back over the individuals in question and like you now think that my previous detective work was not watertight.

Before I continue, thank you so much for your reply. It is much appreciated.

Carmela #1
I see Carmela (age 12 mos) immigrating 18 Sep 1901 with Luise Maria Lucia (29) with arrival destination as Paterson NJ to relative husband Ant Guarino at 113 Reed St.

In October 1915 I think this is the same Carmela, another passenger list with Ma Concetta Di Luise (38) step?-daughter Carmela Guarino (15) both born Cerreto Sannita, and children Crestina Guarino (13) Antonio Guarino (9) Antonetta Guarino (5) and Luciano Guarino (4) all US born. Departure relative "Mother of Luisa Crestina, Cerreto Sannita" and arrival destination of Middeltown CT to relative Antonio Guarino at 88 Liberty St.

Carmela #2
In May 1915 I see this as a different Carmela - Maria Antonia Iandolo (53) with children Carmelo Guarino (16) Elena Guarino (14) and Alfonso Guarino (9). Destination is her daughter in Brookyln NY.

I am leaning toward the first Carmela being mine as I know the family settled in CT, and she married in Waterbury to Frank in 1920. If true this is an exciting development as I potentially have her father's name and a new lead to follow.

cousin    Peter Barbieri, possible brother Louis
Thank you so much - this looks very promising. I'll have to look more into this and see what I can learn from the other relatives this Frank is living with.
Italian on-site family tree research, civil and parish records searches undertaken, fully documented reports, pedigree and family charts, reconnection among long-lost relatives both in Italy and USA. Genealogy has come as a waterfall in my life....and I wish the same for you!! :)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 September 13 06:54 BST (UK) »
www.geneanet.org
Italy
Campania
Benevento
Cerreto Sannita
No Guarino or Massarelli - but - there is one contact for a  familytree of the Barbieri family in Cerreto Sannita
http://en.geneanet.org/search/?name=barbieri&country=ITA&region=CAM&subregion=BEN&ressource=arbre

maybe contact them ??...you might be lucky
Liberato Barbieri is mentioned ....I wonder if he became Louis ?? ..the tree owner lives in Newport USA
Good luck
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline bigirishfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • BigIrishFamily
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 September 13 13:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply.

www.geneanet.org
Italy
Campania
Benevento
Cerreto Sannita
No Guarino or Massarelli
That is interesting because ItalianSide.com told me that there are many Guarino in Cerreto Sannita today (more than 30 families!)

- but - there is one contact for a  familytree of the Barbieri family in Cerreto Sannita
http://en.geneanet.org/search/?name=barbieri&country=ITA&region=CAM&subregion=BEN&ressource=arbre

maybe contact them ??...you might be lucky
Liberato Barbieri is mentioned ....I wonder if he became Louis ?? ..the tree owner lives in Newport USA
Good luck
I actually have been in contact for the last 24 hours or so, and the cousin connection is via the mother of Peter Barbieri (in the 1910 census) is an aunt of my Francesco Massarelli! She was born Massarelli and in Cerreto Sannita! No word on Francesco's father just yet but this is a nice development!

Offline 1872Naples

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 July 22 11:35 BST (UK) »
@bigirishfamily,
Hope you are still active as I see this post is several years old. My Massarelli ancestors came from Cerreto Sannita and settled in Waterbury, CT. My great grandfather is Liberantonio Massarelli (b 1878) who married Maria Carmina (Gilda) Valchiera (b 1873). Both were from Cerreto Sannita. I have traced the Massarellis back to 1700's - would be great to share notes if this is the same line.