Author Topic: James Couch 1789-1791.  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Petevincent

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Couch 1789-1791.
« on: Thursday 29 August 13 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, returning to a older post, need help on this one.  I've had a lot of help with other posts from rootschatters.  So I'm asking again please!  I need to pinpoint a James Couch circa 1789 to 1791.  Born around the Langtree, Buckland Brewer, Torrington areas in Devon.  I'm trying to ascertain whether he is the brother of Thomas Couch 1798. (Langtree)  who was born to a James Couch D.O.B. 1750 and Dorothy Northam, married 1778.  The two emigrated to Lincolnshire to work as millers, James to Claythorpe.  There is evidence of a James being born in Langtree in 1791.  The evidence shows this to be another James as he moved elsewhere in Devon.  James did place an obituary of his fathers death in the mid 1840s as James Couch.  So it appears it is James also Dorothy too had a later mention.  I need his birth to confirm the two as brothers.  I appreciate any help, as I am nearly there in completing my investigation into this side of my tree.  Devon family historical society has not turned up trumps on this occasion!

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James Couch 1789-1791.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 August 13 10:44 BST (UK) »
Family Search have the following baptism for James Couch, baptised Buckland Brewer 28 August 1788 son of James and Dorothy Couch Indexing Project (Batch) Number:   C05004-1.
 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NB95-VP1
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline Petevincent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 August 13 12:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Janfurness, you have helped me yet again.  I think this is definitely the guy I'm after.  He puts Ruckland down as his birthplace in the 51 census, I think it was a corruption on behalf of the census taker.  As for the date its a year out, but that is nothing new when using dates, as is the birthplace, it can change from one census to the next.  I really appreciate your help on this.  I can now say that Thomas and James were brothers.  Which gives great credence to their life in Lincolnshire.

P.S.  just to add, whenever I look up on family search, I put as much info in as I can e.g.  DOB, birthplace, parents etc.  It comes up with nothing! what am I doing wrong?

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 September 13 09:14 BST (UK) »
I've had loads of help from Rootschat so it's nice to be able to help in my turn. Also I live in Langtree and it's interesting to find a local query.
As for Family Search sometimes you can put too much information into a search. It seems to work best if you leave it more open -name, county and range of years. In the case of your search the year was 1788 so a search starting 1789 wouldn't have found him.
Good luck with the rest of your searches,Jan
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline Petevincent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 September 13 10:17 BST (UK) »
Its weird!  I was in Langtry about 3 weeks ago.  We called in on our way back from a holiday in Cornwall.  The church had done a wonderful job of mapping out the cemetery.  Alas tho' no couch's. 
I think they may have been classed as paupers, a Dorothy Couch died early in the 1790s, a pauper.
What I'll do is send you a personal message of what I know, so I can work out a bit clearer for you.
There seems to be some kind of connection to the name short, which is a Langtree name, as far as I can ascertain not by marriage tho'.  Thanks for all your help and the various contacts to use, it is much appreciated. ..... Regards. ...... Pete