Author Topic: Nurses WW1  (Read 444 times)

Offline pavlovaz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nurses WW1
« on: Saturday 31 August 13 16:01 BST (UK) »
I am new to Rootschat so am struggling a little to know where to post things so hopefully this is the correct place. I  was wondering if anyone could help me with my search. I have an Isabella Rennie  (My Grandfather's first wife) who at the time of her marriage in 1917( age 32) states she was a Staff Nurse at Mile End Military Hospital, Bancroft Road. I should love to find information about her training and where she was living at this time, as the marriage certificate gives her residence as the hospital. Would records of her training be available on- line,as travelling to London would be difficult for me.   Many Thanks.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nurses WW1
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 August 13 16:08 BST (UK) »
If she gives her place of residence as the hospital, I would imagine that is because she was living there, probably in a nurses home. i.e - her place of residence.

I dont know, but I would think it is unlikely that there are any records of her training anywhere. You could try checking out the London Metropolitan Archives website to see if thgey hold anything, but if they do, it is highly unlikely they will be accessible online.

Have you found Isabella in 1911 census, to see where she was then, and what 'rank' within nursing she was at then?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nurses WW1
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 August 13 16:10 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!