Author Topic: A challenging one - looking for the arrival of Thomas Amos and family  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A challenging one - looking for the arrival of Thomas Amos and family
« on: Sunday 01 September 13 03:32 BST (UK) »
Hello All

To date the arrival of Thomas Amos, his wife Ann Tilby and at least one child George and my hope is that forum members will be able to assist.

The information to date is very scarce but this is what we have:
  • Thomas Amos [parents unknown] was born about 1810 possibly Kent, England
    His wife Ann Tilby was born in an unknown location in about 1815
    Their son George was born about 1837 in Kent and it is said that he was a child when they arrived in Australia and it is assumed in New South Wales
    Thus we assume his birth was perhaps between 1835 - 1847 so this makes their arrival in Australia around the same time.
    It is unknown if the family was assisted or unassisted but it is possible they were assisted if they had been living in any workhouses in Kent

As they say in the movies that is all we know and most of this is conjecture based on George's death certificate.

Living in hope
Mxmar0

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A challenging one - looking for the arrival of Thomas Amos and family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 September 13 03:46 BST (UK) »

Their son George was born about 1837 in Kent

Thus we assume his birth was perhaps between 1835 - 1847

Sorry, when was George born?  Did he marry in NSW after 1856 and if so, do you have his marriage cert.?

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 September 13 03:57 BST (UK) »
Similar thread on Kent Board ... I posted there.

I am on e reader so cant do live links at the mo ...

Perhaps Debra can?

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 September 13 04:01 BST (UK) »
Please  type up all the info on George's death cert ....

Including of course How Long in the Colonies and the informant's relationship to the deceased

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 September 13 04:11 BST (UK) »
OK, so I have looked at a transcription of George's marriage and death certs.  George married Jane BARKER in 1862 aged 25 Fairy Meadow, Wollongong, parents named as stated above, father's occupation is 'Overseer', George's occupation is 'Miner'.  Witnesses were Francis KEARNS and Mary BARKER.

His death cert does not name parents but 'time in Australian colonies' says he arrived as a child.  The informant was his son William.  He was aged 69 when he died in 1908.  His headstone records an age of 74 at death.

Both certificates say he was born in Kent.

I recall doing some research on an AMOS family in NSW many years ago and I think they were all compulsive liars  ;D  I hope he wasn't related.

Kent board posting for JM
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=659813.msg5054561#msg5054561

Debra  :)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 September 13 04:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra & JM

How fascinating that you Debra have [it appears] also been researching this elusive family.  As you point out the information you have provided from the transcripts doesnt give much else and the difference in ages has also been noted.

However because you and JM are onthe hunt please please dont stop - I am but a novice and really need some assistance - I have looked on Ancestry for assisted and unassisted arrivals in Australia during the possibe time frame without any suvccess which is one of the reasons for posting to this forum in the hope that some folk more experienced than I may be able to get some traction.

A PM to you Debra.
Mxmar0

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 September 13 05:20 BST (UK) »
From the census in 1841 Thomas, wife Ann and son George do not appear. This to me means they emmigrated prior to, or during 1841.

That is going to make record searching very difficult.

But putting Debra's idea of the family to work, what are the chances they came at his Majesties pleasure for a suggested long term holiday :o

neil ;)
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 September 13 05:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Neil

That really had me chuckling - anything is possible given HRH had a wide range of reasons for an individual to take an extended vacation in the sunny climes of OZ; as you say given he isn't appearing in the 1841 census meant he may well have been 'on the road' prior to that!

I have also wondered about Work Houses given that they did have a need to reduce the burden of poor people on the church so looking before 1841 may add something to the picture but I don't know if Work Houses had records prior to 1841 or at least nay that may be available.

Kind regards

Mxmar0

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 September 13 05:53 BST (UK) »
Hmm next problem is, doesn't seem to be a marriage on Family search for Amos to Tilby ::) I removed first name filter as that can be problematic.
Certainly wont be one listed in England, no Government records prior to 1841?
Have checked incoming list of expats from the Auld Dart and don't seem to be on that either.....Couple of Amos's none by Thomas, cept Tassie. Possible not probable.
NSW BDM is on the Fritz so no checking there until to morrow.
Is it possible we have a WALKER ::)

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads