Author Topic: Weir Family Belfast  (Read 23278 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Weir Family Belfast
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 September 13 16:37 BST (UK) »
perhaps Elizabeth was'nt married but its strange that both Elizabeth and Rachel rubbed out the childrens born column on the census return form, they had something wrote there but rubbed it out.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 September 13 16:44 BST (UK) »
   1894 Robert Watters married Rachel Weir in St. Annes Church of Ireland, Shankill, Belfast.
Can't see that marriage but UHF database search for marriage of Rachel Weir with groom Robert Watters shows as 1892 with her father's name Samuel.

1911 census for household of Rachel Watters
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/St__George_s/Sturgeon_Street/156606

perhaps Elizabeth was'nt married but its strange that both Elizabeth and Rachel rubbed out the childrens born column on the census return form, they had something wrote there but rubbed it out.
No great mystery there- someone (possibly enumberator) rubbed out details incorrectly entered- number of children born & living was a question only married women were supposed to answer.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001460218/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 September 13 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Aghadowey is correct. The date should have been 1892 and I agree that the father is Samuel Weir.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline charles girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hello! once again thankyou for searching, sorry but I have actually already researched this Rachel and Elizabeth Weir. I am sure this is not my great grandmother as on my grandmother's marriage cert it has James Weir as her father and on my great grandmother Elizabeth's death cert it has that she is the widow of James Weir. Also she died aged 60 in 1937 which in 1911 she would have only been around 34 years old. Thankyou all for trying to help. Charles girl
Weir, Coyle, Ruth, Dilworth

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 08:05 BST (UK) »
i know you are probably going by greatgrans death cert for her age making her born 1877 but do you know if she ever had a pension,i seen on here yesterday where if the person had no birth cert the pensions office? went back through the census forms to see when they first appeared on the census,these searches are recorded i have seen some in National Archives Dublin but am not sure wheter they exist for applications after 1922. Just a last straw for you to grasp at.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 08:09 BST (UK) »
There are pension application records for earlier dates avalaible- applicants had to be aged 70, not sure when it changed.

"One such source of data is the Old Age Pension Claim Forms held in the Public Records Office of Northern Ireland (P.R.O.N.I). These give essential information from the 1841 & 1851 censuses for Northern Ireland & Co. Donegal. Similar records are held by the National Archives in Dublin although here they are referred to as Census Search Forms and these contain the same essential information, but for the whole of Ireland, including additional records for Northern Ireland."
www.ireland-genealogy.com

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=39072.0

Offline charles girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 09:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for information, my mum thinks her granny did have a pension, so I will do some investigating there. Yes I am going by the age 60 that is on her death cert, I mean you would think on such a cert that the information would be accurate ???? although my mum thought she was older, but she was only 11 when she died and I guess for all children that young all grandmothers might appear older.  Thanks again and I'll keep searching. Charles girl.
Weir, Coyle, Ruth, Dilworth

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 10:27 BST (UK) »
The Old Age Pension claim forms that survive (and are on microfilm in PRONI) cover, I think, 1909-1922 only.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 September 13 01:32 BST (UK) »
I don't think it will be relevant, but my great grandfather's sister, Mary (Minnie) Gilbert married a John Weir.  They had a daughter called Sarah Anne Weir, born on 20th November 1879 at Grange, Armagh.  Here's the IGI link:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGNR-2PV

I'm not 100% sure that Mary Gilbert is the one I'm related to.  But if you do happen to come across more information about these Weirs please let me know.

Good luck.