Author Topic: old sayings  (Read 98361 times)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: old sayings
« Reply #810 on: Sunday 10 November 13 07:07 GMT (UK) »
To those who are complaining about the number of pages taken up with Old Sayings, I say grow up!  We are all here to help each other with our family history I know, but a little bit of relaxation doesn't hurt anyone.
I for one wouldn't like to meet some of those complaining, as to me I think they must be a boring lot and they still want to grumble about this topic don't they?   So it seems to me that they are trying to force their opinions on to all others and they must be right at all costs.
Kind regards
Bev
Well, Bev, not sure that people are complaining ???.  I think we are all wondering that the mods have not locked the site by now.  Maybe the 20 page limit is only for FH related boards?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: Sunday 10 November 13 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Not so much the old sayings but the "thanks" "I haven't heard that" and others of the same ilk take up half the thread.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: Sunday 10 November 13 09:19 GMT (UK) »
msr this thread was originally posted in the common room because I wasn't sure of its place and knew the moderator would move it had I placed it incorrectly .  The point of the thread being to revive the sayings and the way our families used to speak, aswell as being a bit of fun . Possibly getting a book of sayings for charity if enough were collected.                Maybe that is why it has been left to run ,I don't know.                                                   

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: Sunday 10 November 13 09:26 GMT (UK) »
The reason the topic was split was because like now , it was taken off topic by those of you who oppose it.                   

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: Sunday 10 November 13 09:35 GMT (UK) »
No one is trying to force their opinion on anyone. As has been said before, what people are querying is the fact that the normal rules of Roots chat, as we understood them, seem to have been ignored as far as this topic is concerned. I thought it was the accepted thing that after 20 pages, if you wished  to continue the discussion, you started a new topic . This was in fact mentioned by Snaptoo when this topic reached 20 pages. That way things keep manageable and posts are not repeated. It is far easier to read through 15 or so pages than 80. 

The other thing that people are querying is that it does not fit Rootschat's description of what constitutes an On The Lighter Side discussion, and so should be on the TOT board, where, as Greensleeves and others have said, it does not gather points and make a mockery of the whole system.

Surely, the decent thing to do now, would be for the original poster to either ask for this to be moved to the ToT board, which I doubt they will do, as that will immediately reduce the number of their and other contributers' posts, or ask for this to be locked by a Mod and then restart it on the right board.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: Sunday 10 November 13 09:41 GMT (UK) »
author=alienlady link=topic=660102.msg5126788#msg5126788 date=1384075166
Possibly getting a book of sayings for charity if enough were collected.                Maybe that is why it has been left to run ,I don't know.                                                 

I don't follow that, as it is the first time it has been mentioned. If that was the intention it should have been made clear from the start, so that explanations of sayings or where they originated from could have been included each time.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: Sunday 10 November 13 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Groom, that idea evolved when this thread progressed . Not knowing the end result it is not definite. As for the twenty page limit , we have all wondered about it and had expected to start a part 2. Only the moderator can explain the reasoning behind it.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: Sunday 10 November 13 10:31 GMT (UK) »
The originator of the thread is expected to start a new thread after 20 pages but clearly you weren't aware of this, AL.  I have notified the moderator and requested a decision on whether or not the 20 page rule still stands because if it doesn't it means that other threads which have previously had to be curtailed can continue to run.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: Sunday 10 November 13 10:33 GMT (UK) »
On the matter of the possibility of creating a book of sayings for charity,  I think  you would need to start a new thread  to ask posters to not only give their saying, but also include where they  originated.  Would be an interesting project but extremely time-consuming to collate all the material, I would imagine.  Best of luck!  :)
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison