Author Topic: Help Finding Arthur McKeown on 1911 Irish Census in Co. Antrim  (Read 10371 times)

Offline rbouch8828

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Finding Arthur McKeown on 1911 Irish Census in Co. Antrim
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 08 September 13 23:16 BST (UK) »
What did they have for her surname? At the US Archives they use a "Sounder" system that is supposed to catch misspellings of the same names when you do searches for similar sounding names.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 09 September 13 00:07 BST (UK) »
It's called Soundex-
resources.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/soundexconverter
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rbouch8828

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 09 September 13 01:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, Soundex is the correct term.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 09 September 13 09:02 BST (UK) »
Lateness of the hour last night meant I had to leave before your next question.

Yes, I too had some problems finding Matilda. Initially I tried at ellisisland.org with soundex, but to no avail. I had used findmypast.com for the outward record, which thankfully was under McKeown (I didn't mean to say earlier that this too was mis-transcribed).  Anyhow, when searching at findmypast, I used a +/- 2yr range for birth and a likely match for Matilda appeared as 1882 birth (not unusual for there to be variance).

From this likely match record, I then re-visited ellisisland.org and used the search by ship option, as I now had name of same. Doing this presented a list dates of arrival for the 'State of Nebraska'. Choosing the correct year of arrival from this, then date on next screen, I  was presented with a transcribed list of passengers from which it was then easy to spot a 'Matilda Mc Keonn (with space between the c and k)'.  On the same transcript list, it stated her residence as having been 'Tanelaght', so I was happy that it was probably Matilda McKeown of Tamlaght. I then viewed the original ship manifest and fully satisfied myself that it was indeed Matilda as, to my eye, the writing clearly said 'McKeown' and 'Tamlaght'.

I haven't had the opportunity to check the rest of the entry more fully yet. If you view it, you will see that it does record her as going to join her sister, a Mary McKeown. The final destination column seems to read 'Munford' and the adjoining column says she has a ticket as far as 'Boston'. The relative's address column, seems to read 'Munford, Mass.,' but at the moment I am not finding such a placename in Massachusetts - perhaps you know otherwise. Something does seem to have been written across adjoining columns too, but this is not proving as easy to read - based on similar in same columns of other passengers, possibly is an address clarification and reads  '____ Hill' perhaps.

Whereabouts in US did Matilda finally settle?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 09 September 13 09:26 BST (UK) »
Great find scotmum!
Here's Matilda's marriage. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N4D3-ZMN
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 09 September 13 09:54 BST (UK) »
I would imagine this is the 'Munford' reference - Mary's employer in 1900 is called George Mumford
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M9TD-F71

Mary states that her father was born Ireland.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 09 September 13 10:21 BST (UK) »
I would imagine this is the 'Munford' reference - Mary's employer in 1900 is called George Mumford
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M9TD-F71

Mary states that her father was born Ireland.

Good finds too, Heywood (and great teamwork  ;D). So possibly potential descendants of both sisters, Rosie and Mary, still in US nowadays too.

The Mumfords look to have lived in Essex Road in 1900, which is in the Chestnut Hill section of Newton, so possibly the hard to read  '______ Hill' of the manifest.

update

have just checked manifest again and yes, the first word could indeed read 'Chestnut'.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 09 September 13 10:32 BST (UK) »
Given the sort of guest visiting the Mumford home at times, I would imagine Matilda Mary had an interesting time there:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0w1m/