Author Topic: Help Finding Arthur McKeown on 1911 Irish Census in Co. Antrim  (Read 10372 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Finding Arthur McKeown on 1911 Irish Census in Co. Antrim
« Reply #36 on: Monday 09 September 13 10:39 BST (UK) »
Given the sort of guest visiting the Mumford home at times, I would imagine Matilda had an interesting time there:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0w1m/

Wow!  :D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 09 September 13 11:02 BST (UK) »
It is apaprently Matilda's mother's birthplace that is listed as 'Scotland' in the 1920 census, not her father. So as Ireland seems more consistent for the father across the sisters' records, I again feel the 1851 census for Arthur McKeane is in fact for Arthur McKeown:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MF98-7BW
(I see her immigration year shows 1909, when we now know it was 1899)

albeit their birthplaces are reversed in the 1930:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XQR2-337
(immigration year getting closer, 1900)
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 09 September 13 11:26 BST (UK) »
Mary Blaney (nee McKeown) seems to have died in 1921:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_television/4987646899/

the person who posted the picture seems knowledgeable on those in the grave, perhaps worthwhile trying to contact him to pursue potential family link, assuming it is his own line being researched.

update

see  http://marksardella.wordpress.com/2010/09/14/blaney-grave/

Mary and Neil Blaney had a number of children, so plenty of people for you to research further should you wish to:

Rose Mary Blaney
7 October 1903   
Sarah Esther Blaney
29 March 1909   
Henry Joseph Blaney
27 June 1902   
Neal John Blaney
22 November 1907   
Matilda Madeline Blaney
18 July 1910   

(ps interestingly, the Blaney family look to have originally been from Portglenone area, not too far from Rasharkin area)

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 09 September 13 11:53 BST (UK) »
We should probably have a little break for now to give you a chance to catch breath and read up on all the recent posts and links, rbouch  ;D.  Lots of info to digest. Potentially lots more to discover too.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 09 September 13 12:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry scotmum,

I had to rush out and only had time to type 'Wow'. How good though!

You have continued the good work and as you say - lots to look at and think about. I bet RB is thrilled. :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rbouch8828

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 09 September 13 14:09 BST (UK) »
Good morning from the US!  This all so amazing! I had no idea that there were two sisters of my grandmother here in the US. She never said anything about them. I wonder what happened? I will have to look into that part here.

I don't know how you all do it? You are amazing! Thank you so very much! It is truly unbelievable!

My grandfather lived in Newton, and Chestnut Hill adjoins Newton. He started out his working life as a chauffeur, so he could have met my grandmother through her employer in some connection that way.

I also wonder who it was that I found in the US National Archives arriving at the Port of Boston on the White Star Line by the name of something like Margaret or Maggie McKeown? It was several years ago that I saw the microfilm and I didn't make a copy of it, so I don't have a record to go by.

Back in Ireland, if Arthur was born there, I wonder how many generations back there might be any records for? The same for Sara Scullion. Although, I looked at the 1851 census and I didn't see a Sara Scullion listed. Plenty of other Scullions though.

Offline rbouch8828

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 09 September 13 14:23 BST (UK) »
Another question: What is the significance of the numbers in the 1851 Irish Census? 14 Tamlaght Townland, Rasharkin County Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 09 September 13 14:57 BST (UK) »
Another question: What is the significance of the numbers in the 1851 Irish Census? 14 Tamlaght Townland, Rasharkin County Antrim

None- it's just household number 14 in Tamlaght townland in that particular census.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rbouch8828

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 09 September 13 15:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information of the number used in the Census. Is that an actual address, or just a count used for the census?

Also, I have answered my own question regarding Margaret McKeown. At the time that I searched the US National Archives, I had not found the other names of my grandmother's family members and since the only name I could turn up coming into the port of Boston was Margaret McKeown, or Maggie McKeown (I still can't remember how it was listed.) I just assumed it was the Immigration man's misspelling of Matilda. However, another of Matilda's sisters was Margaret. So obviously Margaret came to Boston too. Perhaps she came first to lead the way for the others?

It appears that all the sisters came to Boston, but the two brothers stayed. Although, I see that Arthur the eldest son, is listed as present at his father's death, but Edward is listed as present at his mother, Sara's death. Curious.