Author Topic: Liverpool 1924 Tram Death  (Read 1272 times)

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Liverpool 1924 Tram Death
« on: Friday 06 September 13 11:26 BST (UK) »
Still looking for  Richard Dennis b. abt 1870 who supposedly died abt 1924 on or in an accident with a tram.  I assumed it was Manchester from family stories, but no luck. We have not been able to find a record of his death in Manchester.

However, there is a death of a Richard Dennis in Sep 1924 in Liverpool aged 48 who I  can't find a matching birth or census record for. I am considering sending for this certificate just in case, as there were family links to Birkenhead.

Does anyone know of any Liverpool records/archives which might help please?

Sorry it's all so vague.

Names :Scriven, Parlour, Vaughan, Pember,Price, Thompson, Rennie/Roney, Hannon,Taylor,Pitt,Brice

Places: Alveley, Bewdley, Rock, Dukinfield, Manchester,Limerick, Bishopstone/Dilwyn, Swarraton,Alverstoke, Middlesex

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool 1924 Tram Death
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 September 13 12:35 BST (UK) »
Probably easier to get the death certificate the full inquest papers have not survived:-

http://www.forum.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11685

The Liverpool Coroner's register has the same info as the death certificate so isn't worth a trip to Liverpool. There may have been a mention in the Liverpool Echo. If it is him you could always follow up with a visit to Liverpool Record Office or pay them to send you the newspaper article.

Blue

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 September 13 12:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Do you mean that you have seen something to indicate there was something in the Echo or that there may possibly  have been one?

I live in Hampshire, so would have to send for the article if is him.
Names :Scriven, Parlour, Vaughan, Pember,Price, Thompson, Rennie/Roney, Hannon,Taylor,Pitt,Brice

Places: Alveley, Bewdley, Rock, Dukinfield, Manchester,Limerick, Bishopstone/Dilwyn, Swarraton,Alverstoke, Middlesex

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 September 13 14:17 BST (UK) »
There's no online access for me to check but I would say there's a possibility that his accidental death may have been covered by the local newspapers. Sometimes newspapers can provide a lot of information. If there was an inquest the informant on the death certificate will be the Coroner.

Blue

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 September 13 14:34 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Blue70.  :)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 September 13 14:40 BST (UK) »
In the absence of inquest papers the newspapers can be a good substitute. One of my ancestors was killed in an accident in 1891. The newspapers provided a lot of information from the initial report to what happened at the inquest.

Blue

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 September 13 15:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help.

I'll get the certificate first to check I am not off on (yet another) wild goose chase with this man.

Thanks again.