Author Topic: William John Gilbert: his siblings and his children  (Read 34766 times)

Offline snaptoo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Mum & Dad on their wedding day 10th October 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: William John Gilbert: his siblings and his children
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 21 May 15 20:00 BST (UK) »
I shall look forwards to that next time then  :)       

Hi MF

Sorry but I have already had 2 attempts at typing this post, so will just give you the 2 links for you to be going on  with!  http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=tedmarr&id=I14534#s3 read to bottom of page then you will find my grandfather  - (Rev) James (Killen) Dean(e)!

added......wish there was more info on Dr Dean!!!!!!

http://www.comberhistory.com/chs%201840s.htm Have you seen this website? Very interesting! but the bit that I have post is more relevant, and where I got the Miller spelling from - probably :-\

They give you something to chew on ;D

Bizzy, back soon! ;)

snaptoo

added part 2..........May I ask where you are ???
RIP Sept 1948-Dec 2016
Deane - Gloucester
Deane - Weston super mare area

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 21 May 15 20:23 BST (UK) »
Her will was written in 1863 and it mentions her mother “Isabella Killen otherwise Ramsay.”  It also mentions her cousin William McCausland (my gg grandfather) who is described as “my cousin german William McCausland” which I can’t fathom at all, so if anyone else has another reading of ‘german’ I’d be interested to know (he wasn’t German) ... perhaps a shortened form of ‘gentleman’?

From the French cousin germain
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/cousin-german
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 21 May 15 20:53 BST (UK) »
Aah, thanks Aghadowey.  I’d not heard of that one before.

Snaptoo, I didn’t actually have your Dean on my tree yet.  I see Ted Marr has the marriage date, though I can’t find it on GRONI.  I did find this though:

[Belfast Newsletter, 23 Jul 1881]
DEAN-KILLEN: July 18, at the Presbyterian Church, Conlig, by the Rev. J. M. Killen, M.A., Bellshill, brother of the bride, assisted by the Rev. David Gordon, Conlig, and the Rev. William Wilson, Greenock, brothers-in-law of the bride, John Henry Dean, Esq., L.R.C.P. and S.E., to Maggie, daughter of the late Rev. J. M. Killen, D.D., Comber, Co. Down.

Oh, it turns out the GRO record has their names as “John Deans” and “Margaret Millen”

I see Ted Marr isn’t sure that they had children – I’m guessing you know more?

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 22 May 15 00:22 BST (UK) »
I changed some information on the post I made yesterday, so please go back and take another look.  Also, please see the following website:
http://www.historyfromheadstones.com/index.php?id=522&page=345&prevStartQuery=1720&theme=Infant&Send=Send

This is the McAuley-Ellen Brice gravestone.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 22 May 15 01:40 BST (UK) »
https://ia802701.us.archive.org/27/items/historicalaccoun01olav/historicalaccoun01olav_bw.pdf

Book has a number of Catholic Killens mentioned.

Also, could the marriage of a Killen to an Eiken be actually to an Aicken?

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 22 May 15 18:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks to the link to the headstone inscription.

Yea, there is/was a big family of Catholic Killens somewhere in County Down, I can’t remember where they were centred – but they’d been around for centuries.  Whether or not our Killens are connected, I don’t know – too far back to be easily traced.

With the Brice and Killen names and connection to Glenwherry/Ballymena I take it we’re assuming your Ellen was descended from James Killen (d. 1791) and Blanche Brice (c1739-1807).  This is what Ted Marr has to say on the topic of James’ religion:

There is nothing to suggest that (as has been popularly held among his descendants) he was a Roman Catholic, which appears to be based on a misreading of a passage in Revd Dr William Dool Killen's "Reminiscences of a Long Life". More probably, his family had been Presbyterian for more than a hundred years, say four or more generations.

I think my grandfather was one of those who thought our Killens were descended from that long-established Catholic family.  I also know he had a copy of “Reminiscences of a Long Life” which may be where he got the view (I now have it on a shelf beside me – signed by my great grandfather William Gilbert).

Anyway, you say Ellen’s father was in fact a William Killen.  Do you have the marriage cert?  Does it say where William/Ellen were from, or what William’s occupation was?

The first possible William I looked to was William Dool Killen (he who wrote the above book).  But he didn’t marry until 1830, so is unlikely to have had a daughter who married in 1846 (though not completely impossible).

That I think would then rule out all descendants of John Killen (1767-1828) and Martha Dool?  I see John had several siblings, (taken from the Carnmoney baptism records, I assume).  I haven’t yet done any research that far back on the Killens, so I can’t offer any updates to what Ted Marr has.

Hmm...

Offline snaptoo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Mum & Dad on their wedding day 10th October 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 22 May 15 20:18 BST (UK) »
I have run out of time to do much tonight, but wondered if you have seen this..........
http://www.rjbw.net/WilsonFT.html

Re my post last night, I know nothing about Nellie Dean except that she was my grandfather's sister! I do not know whether she had an 'e' on the end of her surname :-\

Rev. James Killen DeanE married Gladys Gwendoline  Lloyd - date unknown
Dtr -  Margaret Killen Deane b. 1912 :-\  d. early 1970's :-\
Son John Henry Killen Deane (my Father) b 26 June 1914 d. 10 May 1976
Married Mary Allen 10 October 1941
My brother and I are their only children, and neither of us have married nor had any children, so we are the end of this line!

As you can see, I know very little about my Father's side of the family, that is why have been so excited about all the info that I have found since 4th March this year!

Must away now

snaptoo
RIP Sept 1948-Dec 2016
Deane - Gloucester
Deane - Weston super mare area

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 25 May 15 00:41 BST (UK) »
Unfortunatley, I don't have a copy of the actual marriage certificate for James and Ellen Brice, only a facsimile of the pertinent facts that was sent listing her father as William and his father as John.  With her name of Brice, the odds of her being somehow related are pretty high, but just how they are tied together is still very much of a mystey.  Howeve, this is what I do know:

1.  James (John?) McAuley of Ardymaugh (c.1809-1874) m. Ellen Brice (c. 1820-1889)
2.  John McAuley
2.  James McAuley
2.  Jane McAuley
2.  Edward Brice Killen McAuley
2.  Ellen McIlwaine McAuley
2.  Sarah Wilson McAuley m. 1875 at Kilbride Presbyterian Church to William Adair, school master, died 1912, son of John Adair. w/issue.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 25 May 15 08:57 BST (UK) »
Came across this while searching for something else and can't see it mentioned here so will post in case it would be of interest.

Belfast Newsletter, 29 June 1907: CAMERON-KILLEN- June 25, at 17, Finnart Street, Greenock, by Rev. Wm. Wilson, Minister of Wellpark Parish (brother-in-law of the bride), James Cameron, Fassifern, Ballymoney, to Blanche Brice, youngest daughter of the late Rev. J.M. Killen, D.D., Comber.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!