Author Topic: FELD family lost in America?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
FELD family lost in America?
« on: Saturday 07 September 13 00:02 BST (UK) »
In the late 1800s a number of FELDs from Germany settled in Waterbury, New Haven County, Connecticut and environs. Some of them came from the Saarbrucken (Saarland) area and were related to each other but there is one family I have been unable to locate even though the passenger manifest said they were travelling to Waterbury.

Jacob Feld (Jan.1856), miner, m. Catharine (May 1858).
Arrived New York 12 Nov.1895 from Antwerp, Belgium on Friesland with wife and children going to Waterbury, Connecticut.
1.   August Feld (Sept.1881).
2.   Catharine Feld (Jan.1885).
3.   Charlotte Feld (Apr.1887).
4.   Heinrich Feld (Apr.1891).
5.   Aletha Feld (Mar.1895).

There may have been more children born after their arrival but I can't find them anywhere as a family unit in Connecticut or elsewhere.

This is not the same Jakob Feld (born July 1859) who married 1st Rosina Kipp, 2nd Annie Hammer and had 11 children from the two marriages.

Can anyone find the family, or at least some of them, after 1895?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FELD family lost in America?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 September 13 00:56 BST (UK) »
Like yourself, I can find no trace of any of them in the US.

Is it possible that although they arrived as stated they were denied entry?   Either that or they changed their surname.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 September 13 07:41 BST (UK) »
I've also searched, using numerous variations of their names (including partial first names, just the surname Fel*, childrens' first names with just the mother's partial name, childrens' first names with just Jac*, the names with no place of birth, etc.).  No results.   :-\

The only thing that I found that could be close was
August Feldt.  According to the 1920 Toledo, Ohio census, he was born 1880 in Germany, immigrated in 1895. 
His WWI Draft Reg Card states he was born August 16, 1879 and his name was August Ferdinand Feldt.
His WWII Draft Reg Card states he was born in Saegensdorf-Arnswalde, Germany.
There is an immigration record for an August Feldt, born c1880, arriving 1894; perhaps it was for this man.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 September 13 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks you both for taking the time to search for this family. Seems it's not just me that's finding them elusive.

I don't think August Feldt is 'my' August Feld and an online tree gives mother's name as Bertha. Haven't found where Saegensdorf-Arnswalde was in Germany but it doesn't sound like anyplace where most of the other Felds were from.

Had considered (and searched for) name changes but if they had stayed in Waterbury area it was unlikely that they changed from Feld since there were quite a few other families there amongst the German settlers. My grandmother (born 1895) used to talk about growing up there and going to 'German School'- not sure what it was really called (how I wish I had asked) but classes were in German and she taught there for about a year when she was 15.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!