Author Topic: William Paul, Scotland to New Zealand  (Read 20279 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Paul, Scotland to New Zealand
« Reply #54 on: Monday 16 September 13 10:43 BST (UK) »

I have ordered online a death cert for William,thr:bdmonline@dia.govt.nz,this was ordered 8th Sept,to be emailed,LU,this will be a short form thing,the fully detailed cert needs to be ordered,which source? do you advise,do not be concerned about costs.
My William was born at Drumbeg Farm,Killearn,this is clear fron the death notice,so feel sure we are onto the correct person,you are correct,the full death cert is what we need.

Robert Paul.
.....,also,order a full death cert,will be this be from the same scource as Williams.

Hi again James

I posted the following for Anne, earlier in this thread.

On the BMD Online site, I found his death (my friend is about to purchase the certificate).

Hello Anne

Just in case your friend has not yet purchased the "certificate"  .... our recommendation here in NZ, is that the printout of the death record be purchased - (rather than a certificate).  [A printout is a copy of the actual register entry and contains the maximum amount of information available ...  happily it is also a less expensive option than a cert.]  ;)

~  Lu

So if you you've purchased the printout of the New Zealand Death records, then you are getting the maximum amount of information available.   ;)   
[There is no need to purchase a death certificate - because all that really is (in NZ terms), is a transcription of the information from the register entry - and you get a copy of that as the "printout". ]

~  Lu

Offline jamesnpaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 16 September 13 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Lu,
Many thanks for your kind mail,note your comments,will action as you advise,my knowhow of ROOT,s is limited.
NEW NEWs:NZ Death cert for:
William Paul has arrived today in the post,data in the cert 100% proves he is the Person born in Drumbeg Farm,Killearn,Scotland:Text is:
William Paul,D.O.D.16th Dec 1908, Place:Palmerston. C.O.D.Pneumonia,10 days. Last seen alive:15th Dec 1908. Age 79yrs. Place of Birth,Stirlingshire,Scotland. Lived in NZ,47yrs. Occupation,Contractor.
Mother,Margaret Paul,name at birth, More.Actual,Moir. Father,John Paul.  Marriage,age of deceased at event,34yrs. Place,Dunedin,Spouse, Elizabeth Porter,(THE NAME YOU ADVISED)
So,Lu,a good result,well done,thanks a million.William lived in NZ for 47yrs,so,arrived 1861,we have him arriving 1865,43 years in NZ,3/4 years later,?.
Will push on with the other stuff now ans see what arrives this next few days,thanks for now.
Best Regards,
James

Offline jamesnpaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hello LU,
Sorry forgot the following from William.s death record:
Age of each living Daughter:3 ages not recorded.
  "                 "     Son       :4   "       "       "
date of burial:18th Dec 1908,Palmerston Cemetery.
Best Wishes,
James

Offline jamesnpaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 19 September 13 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hello LU,
A wee update,Robert Paul,had a very positive reply from Roots:"Jean" in Christchurch"yesterday,she will visit the Archives and give the feed-back,great news.
Have attempted to find some more info re William Paul,s wife,Elizabeth Porter.
LU,the death cert states:"Age of deceased at event,34", is this the age of his wife/or period married?.
The cert records:"age of each living daughter:3 ages not recorded
  "              "          "         "      "    son        :4 ages not recorded
Have traced 2 possible children:William B-1874,and a:Elizabeth B-1867

LU,have you a view on any these subjects?.
Many thanks for your great support.
Every Good Wish,
James

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 19 September 13 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hello James

Thanks for the updates.

I'm working part-time at the moment so haven't had the time to devote to further searching.
Do have some additional info for you though and will endeavour to post this shortly.

Yes, that's very nice of "Jean" to offer to look-up the probate record(s) for Robert PAUL.
Hope there's something of interest on the files.   ;)

~  Lu 

Offline jamesnpaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 21 September 13 03:10 BST (UK) »
Hello LU,
Thanks for reply,will keep you in the loop when I have info from Christchurch.
Regards,
James

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 22 September 13 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hi James

It's a pity that the ages of William PAUL's children were not noted on his death record.   (Actually, it seems a little unusual, given the era in which he died. )

Just wanted to check though, was it a "printout" (photocopy of the death register entry) which you received ?    Or was it a typewritten "death certificate" ?

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 22 September 13 02:34 BST (UK) »
Replying to your earlier questions :

William lived in NZ for 47yrs,so,arrived 1861,we have him arriving 1865,43 years in NZ,3/4 years later,?.

*   We haven't been able to find William PAUL's arrival in New Zealand.   He certainly is not the person arriving in 1865. 

[Also, we need to be cautious about the information given in death records.   Sometimes the "years in New Zealand" it not totally accurate, although in this case, given that William PAUL married in 1863, the "47 years" seems realistic. ]

LU,the death cert states:"Age of deceased at event,34", is this the age of his wife/or period married?.

"Age of deceased at Event" refers to William's age (34 years) at the date of his marriage. 

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 22 September 13 02:44 BST (UK) »

Have attempted to find some more info re William Paul,s wife,Elizabeth Porter.

I think we need to put Elizabeth PORTER "on hold" for the time being.  ;)

Once you have further information re: the burials at Palmerston Cemetery, we can identify Elizabeth PAUL's date of death.  (Hopefully she is buried with William ? )

From there, it would make sense to get the "printout" of her death record.
[Unfortunately  ... and I probably mentioned this earlier ... a New Zealand marriage certificate of 1863, is not helpful.  It gives sparse information and does not include "place of birth"
or "names of parents" of bride and groom. ]

~  Lu